Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Converting a coupe to a roadster???

Old 11-19-2008, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Converting a coupe to a roadster???

Yes it would be good that maybe it would be good idea to just look for a roadster. Yes i do haven one and took it out in the cold morning it was warm the heated seats work very nice , but do not get me wrong i wish i had a coupe too

Old 11-19-2008, 05:24 PM
Forum Regular

Hi All

As i work in a auto prototype shop making tooling etc ,I have seen what goes into changing coupe panels in soft-tops panel & you just do not want to go there , We will make up panels for the test cars before the factory have had the production tooling up & working , The work content just to get reworked panels up to standard well its hours & hours just to get the panel surface correct before paint & then you have to get all the gaps right when the panels are together on the body in white .

This is the reason i have a Crossfire now , the build of these body are one of the best for the price , I would say that put one next to an Aston Martin & from a build point of view they are on par .

Cheers

Andy

Old 11-19-2008, 05:56 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

In chris's defense, I think something that almost every member that posted forgot, this car was based on a convertible from the get go and the chassis stiffening between the coupe and the convertible is only in the back of the car and if you wanted, you could bolt them on a coupe right now. It's 8 bolts and the threaded holes are already there! Now, on the other side of things, why would you want to tear off all that beautiful sheetmetal off to mess around with making it a convertible. Wholesale pricing on the parts to do it and the hours it would take putting it together excedes the value of the car.

Now that being said, we've officially kicked this dead horse enough!

Old 11-19-2008, 05:57 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Christopher12284
Possibly a dumb idea, and I apologize for that, but I was curious so I figured that I'd ask the experts here at CrossfireForum.org.

Anyway, is it possible to convert a Crossfire Coupe into a Crossfire Roadster?

If it is possible, what would be the estimated cost for a manual/unpowered retractable convertible top?

Cost for a automatic/powered retractable convertible top?

Again I apologize for the possible stupidity of this question.
You can do just about anything with time skill and money. If you have the skill then go for it. It will require more time and money than it is worth. If they nevermade one and you just had to have one that would be a diffrent story.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:39 PM

i would trade my convertible for a hardtop in a heartbeat its too bad that no one makes a removable hardtop and even when they do itll just end ub looking like the miata with the removable hardtop. now if the designed it so it lookes like the coupe itself im willing to give up my trunk space but i feel like i made a mistake with the topless crossfire.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by supercrossfire
i would trade my convertible for a hardtop in a heartbeat its too bad that no one makes a removable hardtop and even when they do itll just end ub looking like the miata with the removable hardtop. now if the designed it so it lookes like the coupe itself im willing to give up my trunk space but i feel like i made a mistake with the topless crossfire.
Where you at, what year is the car, how many miles.... I'd take you up on it if everything looks right!

Old 11-19-2008, 07:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep the coupe and buy a roadster. That is what I did and now I am having twice the fun.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Forum Regular

Anything is possible. Like a corvette into a 55/56 Chevy

www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/video_player.shtml?vid=836321

It all is how much money you want to spend

Old 11-19-2008, 08:35 PM

"Only two limits are your imagination and your pocket book!"

Old 11-19-2008, 08:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rcompart
In chris's defense, I think something that almost every member that posted forgot, this car was based on a convertible from the get go and the chassis stiffening between the coupe and the convertible is only in the back of the car and if you wanted, you could bolt them on a coupe right now. It's 8 bolts and the threaded holes are already there! Now, on the other side of things, why would you want to tear off all that beautiful sheetmetal off to mess around with making it a convertible. Wholesale pricing on the parts to do it and the hours it would take putting it together excedes the value of the car.

Now that being said, we've officially kicked this dead horse enough!
Agree 100%

Uh guys it started as an SLK

Originally Posted by supercrossfire
...too bad that no one makes a removable hardtop and even when they do itll just end ub looking like the miata with the removable hardtop. now if the designed it so it lookes like the coupe itself im willing to give up my trunk space but i feel like i made a mistake with the topless crossfire.
I've always thought how a removable hard top would look... and where there rear of it would attach. I've drawn a few things... but I don't have a roadster or money to waste. But it would be cool

Old 11-19-2008, 08:58 PM

My Jag XJS convertible started it's life as a coupe. It has always baffled me why the original purchaser made a convertible out of a coupe, when it was possible in 1989 to buy a convertible right from the factory. I guess he just had to have back seats for the kiddies. I called the company that did the conversion and they said in '89' it would have cost at least $10,000.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:08 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One of the nicest (non-factory) convertible conversions I ever saw was at an AMC show in Kenosha Wis.
http://www.automotivetraveler.com/in...503&Itemid=166
An engineer created a roadster version of the AMX coupe, and custom made a fully hidden convertible top by modifying a mid 60's Corvette top. It didn't even look bad with the top up. (Something that most aftermarket roadsters never seem to get right).
He welded in boxed steel supports "inside" the rocker panels, and tied them in with steel rebar that he ran through the windshields a-pillar. He then secured everything together using "expanding foam" that turns solid. I think he might have added an X-Brace from the Corvette C4 Roadster. It attaches under the Corvette approximately in the same location our rubber "jack" points are located.
I spoke to him for about 15 minutes, and he assured me the car felt nearly as "stiff" as my coupe, and he noticed no cowl shake at all.
I had a very low mileage 68 AMX with a solid rust free body that needed a complete restoration at the time, and I told him to name him price to create another AMX roadster for me. He said he planned on doing another one for his son first, then he'd think about it.
Well, he passed away not very long after we had that conversation, so needless to say it never happened.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:16 PM

crossfire roadster with a truck bed FTW

photoshop anyone ?

Old 11-19-2008, 11:41 PM

One of my favorites was the XKE hearse conversion in the movie Herald and Maude. Very tasty!

Old 11-20-2008, 03:39 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

you know the only one that got this rt in my opinion was BigKid....by the time you did a conversion, even if it looked good, you could have bought a roadster....he!!, I'm looking for coupe rt now...something I can play hard with, and save my little roadster.....makes better dollar since.....

Old 11-20-2008, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire
They converted a sedan into a vert in Animal House.
Inferno you dog!
That was my first thought after reading the post: Belushi with his air chisel hacking away at the Lincoln!!
No offense, Christopher, but the visual was killing me!

Old 11-20-2008, 05:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurts
Inferno you dog!
That was my first thought after reading the post: Belushi with his air chisel hacking away at the Lincoln!!
No offense, Christopher, but the visual was killing me!
LOL!! One of my all time fav movies. I watch it everytime it's on. The Mrs just shakes her head.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire
LOL!! One of my all time fav movies. I watch it everytime it's on. The Mrs just shakes her head.
One of mine too, I had a MGA roadster when I was in college. Never dated a cheerleader that wore rubber gloves though.