Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Looking to buy a Crossfire...need advice

Old 11-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a Crossfire...need advice

Hello everyone. I love the look of the Crossfire and plan to test drive one this month. I used to fit in a Miata so the small cabin space I have read about shouldn't be an issue. Any words of wisdom from current owners? I know maintenance issues like oil changes and tires are expensive...any other pitfalls that I should be aware of? I read about the potential for rust forming under the door seal...thank you Andrew. From what I have read the insurance is cheaper than a 350 Z and the reliability is excellent. Any owners out their with a Crossfire with high miles.....any mechanical issues? Any feedback greatly appreciated. I live in a rural area...everything gets dusty. I will definitely get a silver Crossfire to hide the dust.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:52 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Looking to buy a Crossfire..need advice

Great choice on your future car.

If you get a limited/SRT, the heated seats seem to fail A LOT.

Rear hatch rattle, headlight fogginess, and no alarm chirp. They have TSB's. If you pick your car up to drive off the lot for the first time and notice any of these, just leave it there and get your first loaner.

I've a transmission fluid leak is common, I've not had this.

Other than those minor issues its SOLID!!

I'm sure some other forum members can chime in though.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:14 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Hey gunther welcome to the forum. Not gonna give you any of our secrets until you buy the car first!
At 6'1" I fit in the Crossfire pretty well. I wouldn't complain if I had another couple of inches of leg space but because its such a cool car I'll live with what I have.
Do a search on things that you are interested in about the car. Most topics have been covered so you are likely to find answers.
Now go buy that car!!
Hope to hear from you soon about your new ride!

Old 11-24-2008, 10:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The biggest thing I notice on all the Crossfires I see is the headlights. If they are under warranty, the dealership should replace them. Other things, you seem to be well aware of. Good luck finding the perfect car!

Old 11-24-2008, 10:39 PM
Thumbs up Re: Looking to buy a Crossfire..need advice

Headroom is a bit better in the roadster (even with the top up ) in case that's an issue with you. I'm 6'1" and have driven a coupe and it was a bit close for me. Either body style will make you . I wish I had one of each. Good hunting. They are one helluva car for the money. You have good taste.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:07 AM

yea well welcome, you've got the basics (tires and oil changes)....the car is fun, and you wont see someone in it everyday no matter where u live unless co-worker or neighbord has one..CUP HOLDER SUCKS

Old 11-25-2008, 05:12 AM
Forum Regular

Heated seat failure. Do your own oil change and save money.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SCXFire
Headroom is a bit better in the roadster (even with the top up ) in case that's an issue with you. I'm 6'1" and have driven a coupe and it was a bit close for me. Either body style will make you . I wish I had one of each. Good hunting. They are one helluva car for the money. You have good taste.
I'm 6'3" and I fit in my coupe with my helmet on with about an inch between my helmet and the ceiling, its all about seat position

Old 11-25-2008, 09:06 AM
Forum Regular

Just got mine and....

Love it!!!

I know a guy selling an 05 limited roadster black in perfect condition (and I am picky) with only 2500 miles, yep 2.5k miles.

If you are interested I can let you know.

This is a great car that is way underestimated. ANd the ride is smoother than my lexus suv! Now whats that all about!

Old 12-03-2008, 02:49 AM
Default Re: Looking to buy a Crossfire...need advice

We've had two, a 2005 Roadster (sold it last year) and a 2005 Coupe. My wife and I both loved the Roadster (we live in Florida), but the trunk space is VERY VERY small with the top down. Compared to the Coupe, the headroom in the Roadster "appears" to be less...it may be because of the trunk space in the Coupe. Having said that, I favor the Coupe more.

Regarding maintenance...yes, do your own oil changes. Much cheaper and easy to do. Tire prices and availability will drive you crazy (18" in front/19" in back)...not cheap. Make sure you get rim-guards on any tires you buy/get. Front brake dust will drive you nuts, so look for ceramic pads on your next brake job. No spare tire (no room).

The ride in both (Roadster/Coupe) is excellent and tight. You get great road response and the handling is outstanding. A friend told me it's like the car is on a rail when you take a tight turn.

I looked at and test drove several 350Zs before the Crossfire and I was sceptical about buying a Chrysler (I also own a Nissan Murano SE AWD with the 245 HP 3.5L V6), but my first test-drive in the Crossfire changed my mind. Insurance is less than the Z.

My only real complaints about the Crossfire are the headlamp covers, the cupholder, and lack of an adjustable lumbar in the seats. Having owned two Crossfires...I must like something about them???

Old 12-03-2008, 04:54 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

gunther, I bought mine to play with, I have always had a 3rd vehicle as a hobby, so I only drive mine mabybe 3K a yr....but w/ that said, I bought my roadster used...just couldn't find a new one close enough for me to buy...all the things I have had wrong w/ the car, are things that are wrong w/ all other cars...oil changes are easy to do...do it yourself for $50...these are performance tires, but you can replace them for as little as $150 a tire...so I don't know if this is an everyday driver for you or not...but I am looking for a 2nd one for my son...who fixes nothing...you will get 24-32 mpg depending on the model you buy...love this car and I have owned a lot of toys...camaros, vettes, etc...this one has been the most fun so far...because it just didn't cost me as much for the HP>...

Old 12-10-2008, 05:50 PM

Hey tighed1, you must be that guy I saw in the SRT one morning at BST and 92. I have a black '05 base coupe 6spd.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:41 PM

I am always reading how oil changes are high but ANY synthetic oil change is expensive. I pay $65 for an Mobil 1 oil change for my Pontiac Vibe with half as much oil and a filter that wouldn't rival the fleece one used in the Crossfire. In the future, when they bring all the small turbos to meet CAFE standards, everyone will be paying more for synthetic oil changes so you are just getting a small jump on the rest of the buying public.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by doc440
Hey tighed1, you must be that guy I saw in the SRT one morning at BST and 92. I have a black '05 base coupe 6spd.
Yep that was me! I saw ya too!
We should meet up for a quick chat!
I'll get back with you once I get my car running again (waiting on ECU).
COOL!
Who'd a thunk there would be two Crossfire owners here in little ol' SV let alone two of us on this fourm!

Old 12-10-2008, 08:47 PM

Oh now I remember why I came into this thread.

Yo Gunther, did you find a car yet???
Haven't heard from you. Report back!!!