Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Tire pressure warning light ?

Old 12-21-2008, 07:57 PM
Forum Regular
Location: Brentwood, CA (no not the OJ Simpson Brentwood, the real city of Brentwood in NorCal)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire pressure warning light ?

I had the rear tires replaced with the recent Costco "special" and they filled the rears with nitrogen. I was warned here that the nitrogen could cause the tire pressure warning light to come on when it was cold. A couple of weeks ago I drove the car to work on cool morning, and sure enough the light came on, it kind of freaked me out at first as I hadn't seen it before. After a while it cleared (tires warmed up I assume).

It promted a question, do the air sensors report which specific tire needs checked ? If so, how do you get the info (didn't see anything in the manual about this) ?

Thanks,
Brian

Old 12-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Re: Tire pressure warning light ?

Does not specify which tire.
I thought that the reason for using nitrogen in the tires was because it wouldn't change pressure as the tire warmed/cooled up.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:21 PM
Forum Regular
Location: Brentwood, CA (no not the OJ Simpson Brentwood, the real city of Brentwood in NorCal)

Thanks, that's a bummer it doesn't report which tire.

I was told that Nitrogen was lighter the oxygen, and that's why it's used, but I could be wrong.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:41 PM

I had a similar experience just after I took possession of my 2008 model. The dealer had the tires set at 40 psi. I told them and they were supposed to set them at 32 and 35 psi. All was okay until I drove to Seattle. The next morning my light came on. I drove to the nearby service station, used an accurate gauge and set all four to the correct pressure. They were all a couple of pounds low that cool morning.

The light went out and has never been on again! Try it!

Jim

Old 12-22-2008, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by cheap ride
...used an accurate gauge and set all four to the correct pressure.
Maybe that's what I need to get my light out. Been on for months. I use the gauge that's on my inflater, must be off.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:47 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Magnets / high / low pressure nothing sets mine back, it takes a computer reset to do it and Iam not going to spend $ to fix a light. Ill put tape on it as I check my tires every time I mount slicks or wash the car.

THis is pretty much a gimmic that will become costly when the batteries in the transmitters fail and need demounting and new transponders. Iam gonna bet the factory wants over 500$ to re battery the TPS. I have a digital gauge and it works for me. WOODY ENJOY

Old 12-22-2008, 07:19 AM

My used (new to me) Crossfire had the lovely light shining from the second I picked up the car (only a week ago). I checked all the tires with a new tire gauge, and even though they were low at 29 in the front and 30 in the back, after I filled them to the 32 and 33 psi as recommended, the light is still on. I check the pressure every day just to be sure.

Could it simply be a reset that can be done, even using the OBD II unit? We did that for our BMW a few months ago.

Just wondering.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be that your guage is out of calibration, not unusual for even a new guage out of the package, they are not a precise instrument. Try raising the pressure to 35psi cold pressure and see what happens. This is what I run in my F1's all the way round.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:36 AM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

the reading is 35 anything less than that the light comes on,, the dealer when i took the car in because of the light told me the tires were low,,
after i got home i checked with my gauge and all tires were set to 42 to 44 ,after two of the rough ride and no light i lowered the air to 32 got a light in less than 10 min,, don't care about the light any more,, i put a small peace of elect tape over the light no when people get into the car they just say how fast the car is and no one ask about the light they don't see. jim
note: when i have DR's on the light would come on any way.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:37 AM
Senior Member/Moderator

Tighted and Stogey - I thought the nitrogen was supposed to limit fluctuation in pressure as well, its more stable than air however..........my light came on when it dropped below freezing. I haven't had a chance to get over to my son's shop for them to check it. Usually in the spring when the weather changes it would come on, not so this year. I figured great but the light is on, what a PIA.
Pat

Old 12-22-2008, 07:55 AM

Looks like the "fix" is black tape ove the light!
Works for me!

Old 12-22-2008, 08:08 AM

Hi,
I've read that the TPM valve stem batteries are supposed to last 7 years before replacement of the entire valve stem is necessary. The battery can not be simply replaced. If a TPM battery fails before 7 years, it is likely that you will not be able to get the TPM warning light to turn out even though all the tire pressures are correct. My system works okay so far but I understand that the TPM valve stems are pricey.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Stogey
Could be that your guage is out of calibration, not unusual for even a new guage out of the package, they are not a precise instrument. Try raising the pressure to 35psi cold pressure and see what happens. This is what I run in my F1's all the way round.
I have F1s as well, though the fronts are 18, the rears 19. Can I still have them all at the same pressure (35)?

Sorry if this is a 'duh' question; newbie here.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:41 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Bosslet
Hi,
I've read that the TPM valve stem batteries are supposed to last 7 years before replacement of the entire valve stem is necessary. The battery can not be simply replaced. If a TPM battery fails before 7 years, it is likely that you will not be able to get the TPM warning light to turn out even though all the tire pressures are correct. My system works okay so far but I understand that the TPM valve stems are pricey.
About $120 per stem on the TPMS sensors. Of course that can vary from vendor to vendor. SOWARDCUSTOMS quoted $101.60 on his thread with 20% off, if he is still doing that, it looks like he is. page 2 post #40 https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=29356

Was 25 degrees here this morning and mine came on, no surprise though, not when it drops this cold all of a sudden.

Last edited by 007_MI6; 12-22-2008 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:49 AM
Forum Regular

I think the rule of thumb is for every 10 degrees the temperature drops you lose 1-2 psi. So say you filed up your air when it was 80 and next day its 30 you potentially lose between 5-10PSI. If it is only 5 psi lost then that is a 15 percent change on the front tires. 15% to the TPMS is a big difference.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Forum Regular

I really don't know why nitrogen is put in car tires. An extra cost most tire installers/dealers can add? Some probably just change the valve cap to green and voila, an extra large charge.

Oh, there are plenty of benefits:
(1) Cool fluorescent green valve stem caps (assuming your nitrogen vendor has any marketing savvy), which will look sharp with your spinning wheel covers.
(2) Bragging rights. OK, you were behind the curve with cell phones, iPods, thong underwear, etc. Nitrogen in tires is relatively new to the mass market. Now's your chance.
(3) Reduced fire danger next time you land your space shuttle or commercial aircraft, and tell me you won't sleep better knowing that.
Very good dope on the subject here:
http://tinyurl.com/6gc8rp

Old 12-22-2008, 08:59 AM

Bought my rears at Discount Tires - had to special order Conti's - their price to completly rebuild TPS unit is $47 each - said they need it apprx. every four years. My light came on last night (very cold). I'm off to check pressure now. My car requires 36 all the way round to keep light off.

M Riley

Old 12-22-2008, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by patpur
Tighted and Stogey - I thought the nitrogen was supposed to limit fluctuation in pressure as well, its more stable than air however..........my light came on when it dropped below freezing. I haven't had a chance to get over to my son's shop for them to check it. Usually in the spring when the weather changes it would come on, not so this year. I figured great but the light is on, what a PIA.
Pat
Your're correct Pat, the N2 should cease the temperature pressure fluctuation. Did they purge your tires before adding the N2 ?

Old 12-22-2008, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Blaiseshimmer
I have F1s as well, though the fronts are 18, the rears 19. Can I still have them all at the same pressure (35)?

Sorry if this is a 'duh' question; newbie here.
LOL ! Not a duh question at all ! It doesn't matter as to the size of the tire, volumn is volumn. Run 35 on both ends !

Old 12-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I've had the light on since my first road trip this spring. Any ideas on how to isolate which tire is generating the "error"? The Discount price sounds reasonable but I don't want to rebuild all 4 when it is probably only one TPM that failed. I know I can just guess, do them one at a time, and hope we hit the right one first. I'd hate to go through all 4 and still have the light on.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure warning light ?