Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Just got her home...and already a weird problem

Old 03-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Just got her home...and already a weird problem

And thanks a ton for all the advice, guys!! Really helping me keep cool right now, because I'm feeling pretty down after looking forward to buying an XFire for about a year now...

Old 03-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Forum Regular
Location: Colborne Ontario, Orlando FL. (winter) Haliburton Ont. (summer)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't get too worked up about it. The XF is a great car. The biggest problem is most dealers don't know much about them let alone know how to fix them. You said it was not covered under warranty. I assume that the car has over 60,000 km on it?

Old 03-04-2009, 04:47 PM

Hey was speaking to my buddy, he said he cant tell what the problem is unless you go in to check it. If I were you I'd call chrysler and make a point about it and maybe they will fix it free.

btw he said he remembers your car getting safety'd

Old 03-04-2009, 05:03 PM

Thanks for asking for me. Really appreciate it. Car seems great in every other way. Just hope my appt tomorrow isn't an expensive one. Still a crappy introduction to the Xfire. Love everything else about the car. I even like the cupholder! Does a great job with water bottles, anyways...

Car has 61,000KM on it, so out of the total warranty. Which sucks, but I got a great deal on the car for Canada. Figured this wouldn't be a big deal since I was buying from a Chrysler dealer, and stuff that wasn't powertrain would be taken care of or I wouldn't be buying the car. Just never thought about something as weird as this. Checked for rust. Checked the lights for fogging. Etc. Then get surprised by this weirdness.

BTW, I didn't take the negative off the battery. A little concerned about that wiping something more important from memory than the radio settings, so I left it alone for now. Does anyone know if you can lose any other important settings by pulling the battery like that?

Old 03-04-2009, 05:08 PM

Pull the battery, the stereo should even keep the presets but the clock will reset.

Dh

Old 03-04-2009, 07:00 PM

Toddy, first of all, you are posting in the "coupes" section.
Secondly, you put the top down this weekend? You're nuts.
Thirdly, Metro is the dealer where I purchased my car. The finance person is the owner's daughter. She was driving my Crossfire and was in the habit of parking in the back so no one could see it. My son had his vehicle in for servicing and saw it, called me and said, "hey mom, found the Crossfire you want" She was so pissed I almost cancelled the deal during negotiations - the sales rep, intervened and took me for another test drive, top down. Sold.

So yes, they do have a mechanic who should be well acquainted with Crossfires.

Fourthly (is that a word?) put the poor thing away for at least another month or two. It is probably frozen!! You'd have trouble getting your spolier up an down in this frigid wind too!

Cathie

Old 03-07-2009, 01:30 PM

I'm posting here because more people read this section, Cathie, and because my problem was spoiler-related and not specific to the roadster. Figured more people would see this here, and anyhow, I was following the forum rules for posts. And I hope you're kidding around, but please save the lecture on driving for somebody else. Just bought the car, I'm excited to have it, and I'm not going to destroy it by driving it for a few days when it's 10 C or whatever. Had it out last night for a run, it was 12 here (we're always warmer than Ottawa), and with the heat up, I was toasty warm. Been years since I had a standard, too, so having a blast with the car.

Anyhow, problem seems to be solved, so thanks to everyone else for all the help and advice! Metro was great, but in all honesty, I could have solved this myself by just pulling the negative and clearing the error messages, as recommended earlier in the thread. New car, though, to me, anyways, so wanted to go into a dealer in case I wound up clearing more than just the radio presets and the errors. Two errors were stuck in the system relating to voltage in the spoiler sensor. One showing it too high, another too low. Mechanic cleared them and I haven't had a problem since with the spoiler beeps. They found a bulb out, too, and replaced it, which stopped the light-out error.

But I still wonder if I've got a battery issue. Last night, while putting up the top, my low fuel warning came on and flashed for a couple of minutes and I had almost a full tank. Restarted the car, and the warning went away. Anyhow, thought this was a little weird. So keeping my eye on things. Thinking about dropping a new battery in for the hell of it.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:53 AM

Hi Toddy,

I know you just said your problem is solved, but I thought I'd throw my two cents in. I'm living in Dubai right now. I drive a U.S. spec Crossfire, but all Gulf Spec automobiles (Crossfire included) have a mandatory warning sound installed that turns on at 120kph--which is the speed limit on the main highways.

Some cars beep for a few seconds, then stop beeping even if you maintain the excessive speed level. Most cars I've been in continue beeping until you drop your speed below the 120kph threshold. This really sounds like your situation. Not sure what country's spec you have on your car, but it could have come from a country with a similar requirement, or the warning signal could have been erroneously installed?

Old 03-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey . . . am in Calgary and never had any troubles with my 04 coupe ! I have 16k km on it now, but I think like everyone else said, just pull the negative cable off the battery for about 10 seconds, then hook it back up . . . probably cure the problem. Never had ANY Crossfire beep like that above 120km/h . . . not a requirement here in Canada . . . . dealer (close to home) should be able to solve it for you if you are still worried about it . . . . or buy a scan tool and plug it in and see what it tells you . . . either way, it is probably a very easy fix. And because you have warranty, USE IT !!! heh heh heh . . .

My two cents worth . . .

Cheers

Mark

Old 03-09-2009, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by bjbj
Hi Toddy,

I know you just said your problem is solved, but I thought I'd throw my two cents in. I'm living in Dubai right now. I drive a U.S. spec Crossfire, but all Gulf Spec automobiles (Crossfire included) have a mandatory warning sound installed that turns on at 120kph--which is the speed limit on the main highways.

Some cars beep for a few seconds, then stop beeping even if you maintain the excessive speed level. Most cars I've been in continue beeping until you drop your speed below the 120kph threshold. This really sounds like your situation. Not sure what country's spec you have on your car, but it could have come from a country with a similar requirement, or the warning signal could have been erroneously installed?
Hey, thanks a lot for the note. Wow, Crossfires in Dubai. Kinda neat that such a rare car is still basically in every corner of the world. Anyhow, car is Canadian and we have no specs like that. I was wondering at first if this was some goofy safety feature, but had never heard of it before. Problem still solved, but our warm weather ended Sunday night with snow, so I've put the car away for another month. Gonna be a tough four weeks...

Old 03-09-2009, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by a12rag
Hey . . . am in Calgary and never had any troubles with my 04 coupe ! I have 16k km on it now, but I think like everyone else said, just pull the negative cable off the battery for about 10 seconds, then hook it back up . . . probably cure the problem. Never had ANY Crossfire beep like that above 120km/h . . . not a requirement here in Canada . . . . dealer (close to home) should be able to solve it for you if you are still worried about it . . . . or buy a scan tool and plug it in and see what it tells you . . . either way, it is probably a very easy fix. And because you have warranty, USE IT !!! heh heh heh . . .

My two cents worth . . .

Cheers

Mark
Thanks a lot for the note. I kind of wish I had pulled the negative and saved myself the $116 the dealer visit cost, but wanted to make sure I did everything with a dealer right now in case I had to go back to the dealer I bought the car from. Wanted to have a paper trail if anything major came up, so I couldn't be accused of doing anything on my own to mess things up. Out of warranty, except for the powertrain, unfortunately.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:07 PM

Congrats to a new crosfire in Ottawa!

Old 03-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Smile Re: Just got her home...and already a weird problem

What color is your new roadster?

Old 03-11-2009, 07:27 PM

Enter your Ottawa Crossfire sightings here!

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...d=1#post349064