Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Watch out, Newbie here in need of some Crossfire buying info.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watch out, Newbie here in need of some Crossfire buying info.

Good morning. My name is Jonathan and I am new here at the Crossfire forum. I am 22 and live in central Texas. I am a senior in college and set to graduate come Decemember. I have been driving an '03 Jeep Grand Cherokee since '06 but here lately I have been looking for a sports car.

Given my budget ($14,000) I wasnt exactly sure what I was going to be able to afford. I had been thinking Tiburon, MX-5, MR-2 Spyder, Acura RSX, etc...While searching around I thought I would check out the Crossfire and was suprised at what they were going for.

On paper the Crossfire looks like the car for me. I have been wanting a 2 seater coupe or roadster, rear wheel drive w/lsd, solid performance, 6 spd manual, and the Crossfire fits this to a T. I remember lusting after these when they came out back in high school, since that time I had almost forgotten about the car until just yesterday day when I had my memory refreshed.

Before I get myself anymore excited over my discovery I would like to be a little more informed about the Crossfire. Right now I am looking at an '05 limited coupe. First off, are there any reliabililty issues I need to be concerned about? Any recalls? Any option packages to look for? What type of fuel, oil, and maintenance is required? Being made up of Mercedes parts how expensive is the Crossfire to maintain? After having so many problems with my Jeep GC I have almost sworn off Chrysler all together. If the Crossfire has a solid track record however I may not turn my back on Chrysler just yet.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:28 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Watch out, Newbie here in need of some Crossfire buying info.

I've put 24,000 miles on an 07 stick & about 2,000 miles on an 08 automatic........nothing but JOY!!

Old 04-09-2009, 04:43 AM
Life is random...so am I.

Welcome.....you'll find out more about Crossfires here than anywhere else on earth.

First off, there's no LSD, unless you get one aftermarket from phantomgrip.

-Reliability is great...very solid cars.
-Maintenance is a little steep, figure over $100 if you take it to get the oil changed.....somewhere in the neighborhood of $60 if you do it yourself.
-Premium fuel.
-0w40 mobil one oil.
-Tires will probably be your biggest expense.

Being as you are looking at a Limited.....the only option was a nav radio.

The SRT-6 has more than 100HP more than the Base and Limited Crossfires....but it only comes in a automatic trans.

If you get a Crossfire many people will stare at it longingly.....if you get a Roadster EVERYONE will stare at it longingly.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the Forum, always nice to see fellow Texan join the group. As already stated this forum is a wealth of knowledge. I suggest you get real familiar with the "search" button tho or risk gettin flamed !

We have several Central Texans on this forum, most are members of Central Texas Crossfires club. So between the wealth of knowledge here and the support of fellow CTC members (that is if you care to join after your purchase) I would say it's a no BRAINER !

Don't forget the main thing tho, this car is practically Chrysler in name only, the under pinning is Mercedes and the body is Karmann. Still need convincing go test drive one from Car Max !!!

Again Welcome !

Old 04-09-2009, 06:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apkano and Stogey are right and unless you get a bad one, which are statistically rare, but to be fair they are machines, you'll be one happy camper if a two seater, VERY powerful car is what you want. I've had mine now for 4 months, 5K miles, and have loved every minute in that car. Not one hiccup. oil changes are pricey with the syn 0-40 weight, and 8 qts of it, but so what, I do it every 8K. I drive the car reasonably gently as my daily driver. But if you look at the maintenance schedule there's really not much there to do. The car is solid, a head turner, fun to drive, and reliable. As someone said, "who dreams of driving a Civic?" Because they're so inexpensive I've been trying to get my wife to buy one, but she's the practical one in the family-thank goodness for at least one of us being so! I have what you're looking at, an 06 LTD coupe, and find the trunk space is pretty good. Which is why I wanted a coupe. I don't need the power of the SRT so that was somewhat meaningless to me. I'm very happy with my LTD. Mark

Old 04-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You are welcome to show up at our Central Texas Crossfires GTG Sunday April 19 and look over our cars and some of your questions can be answered. Where are you at in Central Texas? Check out Crossfire Meets and the South Forum.

Last edited by Bill F; 04-09-2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:22 AM

Bill F, thanks for the invite. I am 100 miles north of Marble Falls (Hico TX). Chances are I will not be able to make the meet due to my work schedule, I do appreciate it though. If by chance I am free I might try and make it. I looked around my area this morning and unfortunatly there is not a single Crossfire I could look at. I would much rather learn about a car from an enthusiast any way than hear some salesman ramble on about this and that. Thanks for all the info so far, this is great.