Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Crossfire on cover of R&T

Old 09-07-2003, 09:35 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crossfire on cover of R&T

October Road and track magazine has a black xfire on the cover.There is 6 pages on the car and a 3 page ad.They say 0-60 6.4 and 1/4 14.7.Its nicely done.

Old 09-07-2003, 10:04 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's great, I need to pick one up(and a great color too). But someone needs to call R&T and tell them that this car is not selling and that DCX may stop making it, and dealers will soon be offering 0% finacing and that dealers are selling below invoice, so why bother printing an article. I vote we have kusheen call and tell them this :lol: --sorry kush, could not resist , but you rag on it way too much.

CROSSFIRE rocks!

Old 09-07-2003, 10:12 AM
Forum Regular

Also they mention the dim radio display!

Old 09-07-2003, 10:33 AM
Forum Regular

Good on the display--maybe someone at DCX will actually read the article and wonder what the deal is with that, and ACTUALLY do something about it. Glad they mentioned it--who knows maybe someone will realize the issue--because their 'customer service' could care less.

Old 09-07-2003, 11:13 AM
Forum Regular
Old 09-07-2003, 01:05 PM
kusheen
Default no problem, texex!

Hey tex, no problem, my training wheels are off. Like you, I've paid the price of admission, as evidenced by what's in the garage, so I offer my opinion. That IS what a forum is, right?

You find my concerns about the reception this car is getting in the marketplace as ragging and maybe with a touch of Chicken Little. That may be, but there sure are, early on, some resemblances to the stories of the Cadillac Allante, Buick Reatta, Plymouth Prowler, Chrysler/Maserati TC and even currently the Ford T-Bird. The dealer in my area selling the manuals for almost 2 grand under MSRP is a little nervous, you don't think others are as well? The one poster saying the carmax's in his area have between them about 20 of the cars doesn't make you wonder what's going on? You REALLY think these cars are used, or maybe some nervous dealers are glad to find another dealer to take them off their hands?

You want to spend time tilting at the trivial luminosity-of-the-radio windmill and layering on Zaino, that's your perogative. Me, I want the car to be a success so that Chrysler regains some strength, and so that if I need a part other than an air filter or oil filter, there's a good chance my dealer will have it in stock...

You keep being the cheerleader, I'll keep being the pessimist read pragmatist.

Old 09-07-2003, 03:54 PM
Forum Regular

kusheen:

Take it easy--it was all in good humor. Like you said to each there own and if we cannot joke around on here then it won't be fun. Good or bad is welcome, I think it's more about the constant picking you do that seems a little redundant--most of us do NOT regret buying this car, and therefore tend to post positive things about it. Hey, we all need to deal with whatever happens to the car, but like someone else said--we CANNOT control the future (so why worry about it--who cares if dealers are selling at invoice--does not make the car any less desirable to the current owners), and most of us bought our Crossfire's for what they are today--not what will/won't happen to them in the future. Now, I can understand if you are angry that others are getting a better deal than you did, hey that's life. A car is not an investment that you expect a return on. If they stop making them, then great I will have one unique car, and there are plenty of parts out there because it's all MB anyways.

Take care and best of luck with your Crossfire.

Old 09-07-2003, 04:01 PM
imported_mightyjlr
Default Re: no problem, texex!

Originally Posted by kusheen
Me, I want the car to be a success so that Chrysler regains some strength, and so that if I need a part other than an air filter or oil filter, there's a good chance my dealer will have it in stock...
You have to realize that there are 10's of THOUSANDS of cars out there with this EXACT engine in it. If the Crossfire somehow fails, which it won't because it was never meant to be a big seller, parts for it won't become scarce. I would bet there are over 100 THOUSAND cars out there with the 3.2 liter Mercedes V6 in it. Parts are not ever going to be scarce for this car...

Old 09-08-2003, 10:37 PM
kusheen
Default okay, but...

I'm not just talking about parts for the engine. Get a stone chip in your windshield....you think there's a replacement waiting for you at the dealership? There probably isn't one in North America.

Another poster is still waiting for some bits to quiet some noises in his (well, his car's) rear end.

Have a fender bender. Do you think there are any replacement quarter panels anywhere in North America?

The spoiler WILL fail....it's a device that will be deployed hundreds, ne thousands of times...your Chrysler dealer got parts for it?

Bend a wheel.

Crack a tail light lens.

Maybe your air pump for your tires won't work when you need it...you think you can pick one up from JC Whitney?

Scootch into your driver's seat forgetting you've got a screwdriver in your back pocket.

Actually, forget what I said about the Reattas and Allantes..the better comparison is the Pantera. Great car, sorta. Could get parts easily for the 351 Windsor/Cleveland (it's late and I forget which was in the car...doesn't matter). Anything else on the car breaks (and they did) and you were s*it out of luck.

I just want the car to succeed so that DC puts some parts in inventory on the mainland, rather than 'on order.' You tell me if things look good. The dealers in my area, including the one I bought mine from, are getting nervous and are looking to get rid of them and be done with them. Hence the WAY below MSRP.

But, another layer of Zaino and some drooling Porsche drivers make it all worth while.

It's a nice car. I like (but don't love) it. I'd rather my dealer stock standard parts than the lit up sill panels, upgraded floor mats, or overpriced car covers. Don't want a Renntech upgrade that voids a good warranty.

Bye...got the message texex...I'm outta here. Please, by all means, continue to trade stories about people drooling on your cars. That's what makes a great car.

Old 09-08-2003, 11:03 PM
Forum Regular

Wow, that is one angry person--that OBVIOUSLY has buyer remorse and is looking for others to pity him. Well the Crossfire may or may not be around in a year--but kusheen WE DON'T CARE, because we bought it for today. There WILL be parts glalore out there. Now if you want hard to find parts, enjoy your Lotus.

Hope you find a Lotus forum that is more suited to your likes/dislikes in your auto choice.

I wish you the best of luck and sorry that you are so angry about the Crossfire and your purchase. Now I'm headed out to put another layer of Zaino on :mrgreen:

Old 09-09-2003, 03:46 AM

Hopefully you'll rethink your disappearing act, kusheen. You have a very valid, reasonable point. If the car is an economic failure for Chrysler, it could indeed be difficult down the line to get parts for anything outside the engine and drivetrain. As I understand it, even the suspension has been modified enough (to accomodate the bigger wheels) that many of the stock SLK parts won't work.

I don't want to argue with you, texex, because your point of view is equally valid. But not everyone here is buying the Crossfire "for today", and to hell with the future. If that's your point of view, great! But I for one am interested in keeping (and driving!) the Crossfire for a long time, and kusheen is right that the long term will be much easier if the car is at least a moderate success for Chrysler.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hoping to see one on every street corner. Hell, my boss owns a TT, and that fact alone pretty much ruled it out for me, despite the fact that I lusted after the TT from the time I first saw it until the time I first saw the Crossfire. But I also don't want the car to be benched for a month waiting for parts from Germany every time something breaks five years from now. Not to mention having to pay through the nose for the parts. That's the whole reason I dismissed the idea of picking up a twenty year old Ferrari 308 GTB, which last I checked can be had for about the same price as a Crossfire, or even about $5000 less if the thirty thousand mile maintenance hasn't yet been done.

Okay, I'll stop now before I **** everyone off and get driven off the board...

Cheers,

Greg

Old 09-09-2003, 04:19 AM
imported_mightyjlr

Kusheen,
Please don't leave... everyone has their opinions on the Crossfire. I respect your opinion more than many others here because of your critical view, which ISN'T a bad thing. There is a difference between flaming a forum, and offering a critical opinion, which everyone here understands that you do. People on forums disagree sometimes... it's ok. Don't leave just because someone else disagrees with your view. There ARE people who want you to stay. I know I do, and others have contacted me. I really just want everyone to get along... Please EVERYONE respect each other's opinions... I try to stay out of things as much as possible, but Texex and Kusheen, you guys need to work this out on your own, and I hope in the long run I find both of you guys to be active members of this forum in the future. There is no need to fight about it. Just enjoy your Crossfires!

Old 09-09-2003, 08:06 AM
Forum Regular

ALL:

I said from the get go that I was just ribbing kusheen. He took it the wrong way, but I will take the high road and apologize if his feelings were hurt. ALL opinions are welcome as much as I don't want to hear about the Xfire 'failing', to each his/her own. After almost 290 posts, I think that my passion for the Crossfire is obvious, and I will try to become more of a 'less biased' poster.

Old 09-09-2003, 09:25 AM

texex91: Go for it!!!

It is better to have a positive attitude in life then a negative one.

Surround yourself with friends who are optimist, shed all negative friends, and you life will be more fulfilled.

Kusheen, don't give up on the Crossfire, Chrysler has not even started to market the car yet, when they do, look out.

And Kusheen ops: , loose the attitude, as I always say; "don't let the door hit you in the fanny on the way out." :P

Old 09-09-2003, 12:55 PM

I'am the guy with the squeaky rear end, still - happily - waiting for parts.
I am sure parts will be available in the future and don't mind waiting for parts. I can remember back in the late 70's or 80's I bought a Ford Tempo when they frist come out. Turned on the windshield wippers as I dove out the Dealers Lot and the wiper on the Driver's side fell off. Waited two months for a wiper motor assembly and could't drive the car in the rain. Talk about an unhappy camper!That was the first of many problems - real lemon, but my point is that was a Ford, and certainly not limited production model. Parts are often hard to get for new models just after introduction. Since the Crossfire is a limited production product, parts will probably be limited too.

The Crossfire is fun to drive, but I would'nt depend as my main ride, with the limited production, wheels/ tires etc. I'd expect to have to wait to get parts. I can see myself waiting on I-10 for a tow truck if I have a tire problem and waiting a day or two for a tire in Live Oak or something. Be a pain in the "rear end," but I am willing to endure the pain, if I have to, as a price to pay for driving a Crossfire.

All comments - positive or negative are welcome as far as I an concerned. I enjoy hearing a different prospective and sharing info on the Crossfire has helped me. Please stay with the forum, we appreciate your input. Oh Ya, hope to put a layer of Zanio on my Squeaky Crossfire today.

Old 09-09-2003, 01:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to go with Kusheen on this one. His posts are among the best written and most thoughtful on this forum. As mightjlr said, there's a big difference between flaming and being critical (which is not necessarily the same as being negative).

I've posted ALMOST negative comments about the Crossfire and got accused of not owning one. Get over it! I too am tired of the usual stroking posts comparing gawk notes and patting each other on the *** for owning a Crossfire. If you think you're special because you own a Crossfire, you're not. The Crossfire isn't perfect and I think a healthy discussion about these points is excellent. Sometimes we find the emperor really isn't wearing any clothes.

To continue the parts availability discussion, I went to the dealer to buy an oil filter. You may not be surprised to learn that they didn't have one.

Old 09-09-2003, 05:30 PM
Forum Regular

I have commented on the slow crossfire sales but forgot to mention all our car sales are down this year.SUV's and minivans sell...cars in general nowaday's don't sell.The car has been out 3 months give it a chance!Just for eveyone's info DC has sold a couple million minivans and we still have to order parts!! I also needed a new side gill for my Xfire (defect) I ordered it and it came in 2 days later!
Parts departments are cheap and lazy they won't stock parts unless there sellers.My parts guys are good they preordered some maint. parts.I doubt most dealers have the correct oil in stock.When they start to get xfires in for service they will start to stock more parts.Finally why all the anger Kusheen most people wish they had your problems..own a new xfire... a Lotus on order....cheer up...or sell the xfire and move on!!

Old 09-10-2003, 12:05 AM

Folks,
I think this car is beautiful and have not yet purchased. All this talk is causing me to rethink purchase.

In years I have not seen as beautiful a car. Now all this talk that the industry see's CrossFire as a dog with no future.

Your thoughts

Old 09-10-2003, 04:00 AM
imported_mightyjlr

Originally Posted by daddycsb
Folks,
I think this car is beautiful and have not yet purchased. All this talk is causing me to rethink purchase.

In years I have not seen as beautiful a car. Now all this talk that the industry see's CrossFire as a dog with no future.

Your thoughts
The Crossfire isn't going anywhere. Chrysler will sell all of the Crossfire's they make, as soon as the dealers sell at MSRP and Chrysler advertises a little better. Personally I dont give a crap about Celine Dion and think that whole advertising campaign is retarded. I have also yet to see a TV commercial for the Crossfire. People simply dont know about the Crossfire. 2 in 10 people I talk to about the Crossfire have even heard about it, and an even smaller number have actually seen it. Buy the Crossfire... I personally wouldn't be as happy with any other car in the Crossfire's price range.

Old 09-10-2003, 01:22 PM

I agree that it is a bit premature to start saying that its going to fail.
The Advert is pants, we had it broadcast in the UK briefly and unless you already know about the Crossfire ,I doubt people will be rushing to find out what the car is with the 'glimpse' you get in the Ad.

I KNOW the Crossfire is a winner, Jaguar certainly think so!,
has anyone else seen the latest pictures of a Jaguar Concept coupe. If I owned Chrysler I'd sue their ***. It's so like the crossfire its untrue, even down to the central twin exhaust.

Quick Reply: Crossfire on cover of R&T