Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Auto vs. 6 speed

Old 06-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto vs. 6 speed

I'm looking for an 04 or 05 xfire and was looking for an automatic because the reviews I've read seemed to think the auto was a much better choice in this car. I find this unusual because the car magazines usually prefer the sticks. My other cars ( a Corvette and a Miata) are sticks but because of what I've read I thought an auto is the way to go for this car. My problem is that I found a great 04 6 speed with only 14k miles for a very reasonable price. I'm looking for some recomendations about the tranny's on these cars. Are those with 6 speeds happy with them? Any reliability issues with the tranny or clutch? The reviews seem to think that the gas milage is better with the auto, I have a 90 mile commute so this is important to me. Any feedback will be appreciated, I did a seach but didn't find the info I'm looking for. Thanks.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:22 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Auto vs. 6 speed

I have a std and I love it.No issues at all. If you want to steer a car, get an auto. If you want to drive a car get a 6 speed. I have 2 autos that get me from here to there,but the 6 speed gets me there with a smile.

Joejet
2007 Black coupe std.
OKC

Old 06-27-2009, 11:31 PM
svo
Forum Regular

If you don't mind an Auto. Go with an '05 SRT6 and you'll love it!!

Old 06-27-2009, 11:44 PM
Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts

I agree with Joe Jet. perfectly said.

However, there are threads on this subject back in the past. do a search to learn more.
That said,
The manual in this car is not the best. it is not the worst it just isn't as smooth as some. It is chuncky, especially from first to second. The cltch trow is a bit long making shifting not as crisp as one would expect from a little, torquey and very spirited drive train. Once you get used to it, the shifter is more than adequate.

I would look at the kind of driving you plan to do. If yopu are comuting daily in rush hour traffic, the auto would serve better. If this is a week end cruser thru back roads and twisties, the manual will put a grin on your face with every turn.

If you are looking for a street racer, the manual will disappoint. So will the NA engine. So go for the SRT which only comes in the Autostick. Dilemma solved!

Actually, the auto stick is a fairly fun shifter. I have both and can tell you I am happy with either. It is not your average autostick, but a real useful quick shifter with sharp gear changes you can easily anticipate. With the exception of Clutch feathering, you can do about anything with it you can do with the manual. Dowshifting, power shifting, engine braking.

I give all this knowing it wont help that much. Frankly, if you were a stick guy, you wouldn't ask. If you don't feel the burning need to participate in the movement of your vehicle over the ground, get the auto. Chances are, you will be happy with either version.

Whatever you do, get one you really like. Payments on something you don't enjoy are a pain.

roadster with a stick

As it should be!

Old 06-28-2009, 07:09 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an 07 6 speed & an 08 autostick, if you keep the RPMs up between shifts the stick is smooth. No question the stick is more fun, faster (quicker) & gets better MPG.

The stick gets a 92.68% rating on my fun meter & the automatic gets a 89.47%.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:08 AM

I couldn't agree more with Franc Rauscher.

After asking myself the question "autostick or 6speed" for weeks I finally choose the autostick.
It's my first automatic in years and I'm really happy with it. When using it for comuting and city driving I'm happy that it's operating pretty smooth and still you can do a quick sprint if necessary. When driving it for fun outside the city I'm happy with how well the auto fits to the torque of the engine too (and I love to use the autostick for downshifting).
btw: my last car was a Miata and the 6speed in the Crossfire is nowhere near that really short throw gearbox.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fick
I'm looking for an 04 or 05 xfire and was looking for an automatic because the reviews I've read seemed to think the auto was a much better choice in this car. I find this unusual because the car magazines usually prefer the sticks. My other cars ( a Corvette and a Miata) are sticks but because of what I've read I thought an auto is the way to go for this car. My problem is that I found a great 04 6 speed with only 14k miles for a very reasonable price. I'm looking for some recomendations about the tranny's on these cars. Are those with 6 speeds happy with them? Any reliability issues with the tranny or clutch? The reviews seem to think that the gas milage is better with the auto, I have a 90 mile commute so this is important to me. Any feedback will be appreciated, I did a seach but didn't find the info I'm looking for. Thanks.
Since you make a 90 mile commute everyday then I'm going to assume you're on the Interstate highways. If you seldom run into "grid lock" then I highly recommend the 6 spd.
It allows a stock Crossfire to perform about 1/2 second quicker in the 1/4 mile. (I know, it doesn't seem like much, but it's noticeable). Drive a 6 speed and an auto back to back and you'll get what I'm talking about.
I have a Miata 5 spd, a Viper GTS 6 spd. and a Honda 5 spd. and even though the Crossfire's manual isn't as good as any of them, it's not that bad after you get use to it. Actually some drivers believe it gets better with age. So if the car you are looking at only has 14k miles, it's not even broke in yet.
Even though the EPA rates the automatic higher in gas mileage, I think in "real world" driving you will attain better MPG with the standard tranny. Do a search on MPG, lots of opinions.
If you're not into drag racing at all, then an SRT6 would be wasted on you IMO. The NA cars have a very low 1st. gear, and if you learn how to launch it properly, can surprise many a faster car at a stop light.
To me, the 6 spd. makes it feel more like a "Sports Car", and that's the reason I purchased mine with a manual tranny.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:28 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I can't speak for the autostick, but I drive my roadster mostly highway and consistently get 28-29 mpg at 70-75. And there are always short speed bursts to 80-100 mixed in. Last Friday I drove back from WI through Chicago (2 hours and 20 miles of bumper to bumper), and then spent the last 40 miles chasing an A4 at 85-90. Still saw 26+ mpg when I filled it up.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L.
I have an 07 6 speed & an 08 autostick, if you keep the RPMs up between shifts the stick is smooth. No question the stick is more fun, faster (quicker) & gets better MPG.

The stick gets a 92.68% rating on my fun meter & the automatic gets a 89.47%.
Chris you dont know what you are talking about. Every one knows the stick is worth at least 93.42%

Old 06-29-2009, 07:38 PM
Life is random...so am I.

Personally, I'd go with the 6-speed.

I have the stick, I love it and can't imagine the car without it. If you really want to get into the driving experience throw a custom exhaust on the car. The Mercedes engine sounds beautiful with a custom exhaust and the six speed at full song!

As far as reliability......I've had mine doing 4200rpm drop-clutch, and "no-lift" shifts at the dragstrip plenty of times. Just about every time I'm in the car I drive it hard.......as they say "like you stole it!". I've not had a single issue with the trans or clutch, 47000 miles and counting!

Old 06-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Forum Regular

I have an O4 Auto Coupe, if you want to steer and DRIVE then get an auto, after all it is an auto-stick, you can down gear and up gear, totally fun on the Dragon without the clutch... and if you know how to drive it, I would but it up against a stick anyday! I've run some sticks..... I'm still an auto fan!!!

Deb

Old 06-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieb
Chris you dont know what you are talking about. Every one knows the stick is worth at least 93.42%
There is a +/- 1% margin of error in my calculations.

I must be a wuss, I've never had the guts to do a 4200 rpm drop clutch launch yet....tell me, if you floor it (with the clutch in) does the computer really limit the rpms to 4200? 3500 is about all I've done.

I do kinda get the impression this is sort of a no lift shift setup...

Old 06-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have over 23,000 miles on my 2005 6 speed manual that I have owned since new, purchased in October 2006.

Never have problems and love the 6-speed!!!

Old 06-29-2009, 09:35 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Auto vs. manual - have you driven both? What are your feelings? I have a base manual coupe. I didn't care for the manual at first, but, the computer figures out how you drive after a while. The shifts get smoother along the way - or maybe I'm getting used to the car. Anyway, you can always start in 2nd gear in certain situations without a problem. I just think the more sensory input the better when you're driving a sports car. If you just want to RIDE in a car, get the automatic.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:46 PM
Life is random...so am I.

I must be a wuss, I've never had the guts to do a 4200 rpm drop clutch launch yet....tell me, if you floor it (with the clutch in) does the computer really limit the rpms to 4200? 3500 is about all I've done.
Yes, the limiter kicks in and keeps the engine from fitting loosely into a five gallon bucket, as long as the front wheels aren't turning.

I do kinda get the impression this is sort of a no lift shift setup...
Very much so if you're quick about your shifts. The 6 speed actually shifts much smoother at higher rpm's.