Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Planning to buy

Old 10-06-2003, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning to buy

Ok owners, this weekend I'm driving 300 miles to take a look at and drive a Crossfire. Any suggestions about specifics to ask or insights would be appreciated. Was there any thing that you should have asked but didn't think of until later that you might pass along? Thanks.

Old 10-06-2003, 09:07 PM

Remeber to drive the car! This system is a "Learning" system and reacts according to your input. Soooo get on it! My car was detailed and set up perfectly by the dealer...I hope your dealership does the same. Good luck and enjoy!

Old 10-06-2003, 09:07 PM
kusheen
Default bring a co driver

Bring someone with you, to drive your car home so you can drive the Crossfire home.

Seriously, the car is pretty straightforward. The two dealers I visited unfortunately had salespeople who actually knew very little about many of the features on the car. The one salesman didn't know how to put it in reverse, which is inexcusable.

They've been out longer now, so hopefully they're getting familiar with them.

I'm wondering why you're driving so far. If you're seriously considering the car, and driving 300 miles is serious, if I were you I'd be more concerned about my local Chrysler dealer who will be servicing it and what he's like to deal with.

If I were shopping now, I'd ask what kinds of technical bulletins have been issued on the cars, and if any have to do with pre-delivery work has that work been done on the car you're considering.

Oh, and guys...I can't resist...did you see the Lotus Elise write up in November's Road and Track?

Sorry, a leopard can't change SOME spots.

Old 10-06-2003, 09:15 PM
imported_mightyjlr

The Crossfire is a very user friendly car. Everything is pretty self-explanatory. Just spend a little time adjusting the seat and you're ready to go. The only thing I had to get used to was the dual blinker-windshield wiper wand, but you'll get used to it fast. Enjoy!

Old 10-06-2003, 09:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you've read much at all and perused this forum for some time it's highly likely you'll know much more about the Crossfire than the sales staff.

I drove a couple hundred miles to pick mine up only because local dealers were asking $5k-over and I found one at MSRP (mid-July). Before that, I went to every dealer in town here and knew right away which one would be servicing mine.

Yup, read about the Elise, the "ultimate sports car." Next time I'm in DC, I'll trade you a beer for a ride.

Old 10-06-2003, 10:11 PM
Default Thanks

Thanks for the input. The 300 miles is a combo trip with another event. But this dealer in FL has what I'm looking for in stock. My local dealer, who I have bought 3 Sebring LXI's from assures me they can maintain the Crossfire. They are not a xfire dealer due to the havey upfront costs and couldn't be sure they would even get one this year. I've been reading all the posts on this forum, and have seem the +'s and -'s about this car. Thanks again.

Old 10-06-2003, 10:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One more point: I understand that Crossfire dealers had to buy a $6k (or $8k) tool set to service the Crossfire. Could be a difficult job without the proper tools.

Good luck!

Old 10-07-2003, 04:24 AM
Default Re: bring a co driver

Originally Posted by kusheen
Oh, and guys...I can't resist...did you see the Lotus Elise write up in November's Road and Track?
What really got me was the blurb on the Esprit just above the one on the Elise. It brings a tear to my eye that they're finally gonna put the old man out to pasture. Too bad I can't afford one now any more than I could when I first fell in love with that car back when it was brand new and I was too young to drive...

Anyone got a fully-restored MGB they wanna give me to cheer me up? :?

Cheers,

Greg

Yeah, okay, so this is off topic. Trying to resist buying a Crossfire until after I've moved and have a garage to put it in has used up what little common sense I had to start with.

Old 10-07-2003, 09:19 AM

Based upon all the Forum complaints about the difficulty in seeing the radio readouts, I would look hard at that to seee if it matters to you. Also look at the ability to see to the rear for parking, you might want to try it and see if it is ok for you, and the cargo size of the trunk. If it is a manual, make sure that it stays in 1st till you are ready to shift it to second, and good luck.

Old 10-07-2003, 09:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, Glennn, I don't know if I can tell you anything to ask but there are some things to think about:

Your tire bill will be a grand a year; if you were in the Northeast like me the firm ride would rattle your teeth on the frost ravaged roads; you can't read radio CD display and your front wheels are always dirty.

Having said all that, I LOVE it. The last few months of driving have been a real joy. It's a great pick-me-up just to get in the car each day.

Good Luck and happy driving.

Old 10-07-2003, 11:40 AM

Just a reminder that luggage comes with the car, if its "new." Never been titled. The Luggage is sent to you from Chrysler, some people have bought cars that were "new," but were titled or traded and didn't get the luggage. Be sure to ask about that.

As far as the car goes when I got mine there wasn't anyone to ask and the Dealer didn't know anything at all. Hopefully your Dealer has had a few cars and knows somethng about the car by now. But check out tech notes on this web site. There aren't many problems, but some folks don't like the car, mostly those who don't own it.

You didn't say if you are getting an automatic or 6 Speed. I initally got a 6 Speed, I didn't like all the shifting in traffic so I traded it for an automatic - both are great cars. Fun to drive. The 6 Speed would be more fun though as a weekend driver. No fun in traffic, at least for me.

Also don't pay list price, there are cars available at less than list, especially if you are willing to travel to get it.

Old 10-08-2003, 10:35 PM

glennnn, I don't know what part of florida your going to go, but if you travel to orlando go to carmax or look on their website. New crossfires for $2400 below MSRP!!!

Old 10-09-2003, 09:14 AM

glennnn, I don't know what part of florida your going to go, but if you travel to orlando go to carmax or look on their website. New crossfires for $2400 below MSRP!!!

Thank's I'll do that. I'll be in west FL.