Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Pros and Cons of Having Multiple Cars

Old 07-09-2009, 02:03 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Pros and Cons of Having Multiple Cars

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
I can't imagine getting lumber in my Crossfire like I do in my truck. I can't imagine hauing grandkids like I do in the Caravan.
I can't imagine going to work daily in either boring vehicle.
I don't have to imagine a fast, sporty shift down the ramp in a really fast, cool convertible. I get to do that in my roadster.

Keep the other vehicle for the things you need to do.
For the things you have to do, don't give up the XFire. Ever!

roadster with a stick
i agree with franc. it's good to have options.

when i was 21, i had the same problem. i figured out life is better with more than 1 car. try and hang onto both.

contrary to what you may hear, it gets better as you get older.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:00 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by qzomak
what are some of the problems you guys find when owning more than one car?
Only downside for me (and it's minor) is that I only have a 2-car garage with 3 cars in the family.

Just need to convince my wife to park in the drive I guess.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Received 197 Likes on 151 Posts

I drive the 2005 crossfire only two people,,,wife drives 2005 muatang, don't even try to get into the back seat again only two people,, then we have a 2006 camry when we need to go somewhere and somebody will bang their door into our car,camry seats 5,,(mother-in-law is 96 (can't ride in crossfire or back of mustang), then we have had at more than one time ,32 amx's, taged, inspected, and parked in front of our apart. glad we lived next to city hall ,,gave me a great parking lot. now you chose to keep 2 cars ,, i guess i am one of a few that has had over 600 cars in my live (and i am not nor have i ever been a dealer) jim

to most a car is something to go from point to point,,,,,, to me the car is the point ,Jessie James

Last edited by amx1397; 07-09-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not complete till you add a motorcycle, preferably a HARLEY!!!!!

Old 07-09-2009, 10:27 AM

The more the marrier!
My wife and I have four. One of the only things I dislike is the constant "honey the Plates are due". Here in Montana plates, forinstance on my '05 SRT will still run close to $400.00 per year.
Having multiple vehicles keeps them all fun to drive being you never get board.
Always keep a 2 seater in the garage, what ever it is for when your inlaws want to tag along. "love to have you ride with us but...?"
enjoy
Mike

Old 07-09-2009, 10:28 AM

motorcycle is completely out of the question. I am already getting a lot of heat from my dad for getting the Xfire. If i can get a motorcycle at some point of my life, it will be a ducati =P

Old 07-09-2009, 10:33 AM

Don't have inlaw problem or kids problem for now. Maybe is too early for me to have more than one car. I know what some of you guys mean when talking about passion towards your rides.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:47 AM

Cons:
Doing the car shuffle thing in the driveway. (Can't park on the street, its too narrow and people can't drive. BMW got hit twice out there)

Your insurance is high, have you shopped around? I saved a couple $100/year by switching to another company. No advertising plugs here.

Pros:
If you ever need to drop a car off somewhere, or if one has issues like others have mentioned, it's not problem you have another.

I would imagine that the SRT is quite a bit more fun to drive.
-Steve

Old 07-09-2009, 10:57 AM

Insurance here in Toronto is so expensive. I think 300+ is like a average price for ppl around my age. Well, the SRT title sure don't help me with the insurance. Paying about 4000 plus a year on insurance is actually a huge deal for me.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:00 PM

I hear you 'bout the insurance,Bro! New York's gotta be up there with the most expensive. I'm up to $5500 yearly for the FJ and the '05 coupe. And that's with with the multiple car discount. Then I must add an extra $2,000 for the 2 Harleys! All this with a clean license. Thank goodness that the house and all vehicles are paid for!

Old 07-10-2009, 10:41 PM

Hey, I have a LandCruiser and Crossfire, too! The Cruiser is a bit older than yours - it's an 85 BJ70.

I love to have the contrast between the two vehicles. The crossfire feels extra good after driving that diesel beast around for a few days. If all I had was the crossfire, I might get bored of it, be craving more power, etc.

My wife has a Subaru wagon, so we have a "normal" option in the driveway if we need one.

Dennis

Old 07-12-2009, 07:22 AM

I say more is better than less, but then before you know it, you have become a "collector" like me, and none of your cars are crappy enough to take out in winter!

Old 07-13-2009, 05:15 PM

We have the Roadster and an '07 Hyundai Tucson.

The Crossfire is the daily driver right now and even gets our groceries comfortably (just two of us)

The Tucson is wonderful for moving more people and building supplies (lumber, furniture, everything)
Tucson is the daily driver come October here in Calgary though.

The hardest part of owning two cars is that we have a townhouse garage, so it's 2-cars long. Juggling them around is a pain in the butt.
I think the 2nd hardest will be seeing the Crossfire under a sheet in the back of the garage for 5 months!

Insuring only one at a time is a big break for us though, since they both cost about the same to have insured.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:11 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Keep them both if you can afford it. I have 3 on the road right now. '98 Blazer the woman wrecks... I mean drives, A '07 Golf is my commuter/winter driver that the woman already beat up and is now not allowd to drive, and there is my crossfire that I drive. yes another vehicle she is not allowed to drive. You will appreciate driving the crossfire a little more If it is not your daily driver.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:37 AM
Forum Regular

I love having 2 cars (You always have a spare!). I drive the Miata a lot more than the XF. The XF has ony seen trips to softball games and the grocery store. The Miata is the workhorse of the two, for it endures much rain and some snow....

Monty

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
019.JPG (673.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 07-14-2009, 01:08 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Only problem with multiple cars is insurance and keeping them all clean and detailed - plus fighting with the wife about what gets parked in the garage. In addition to 3 XFs, I have an Audi A6 2.7T for the winter, an Audi A4 3.0 for my daughter, and of course my wife's Mercury Milan. Today the 2005 XFs and the daughter's A4 have the garages.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still a big fan of the "beater" as a daily driver. In Minnesota it is a necessity as driving an XF during the winter is a sure invitation for rust to set in very, very quickly.

Although I'll probably have to replace my Corolla soon (just because I'm getting a little more worried lately about what would happen to me if someone hit me hard while driving it), it's been serving me quite faithfully in Virginia and served me quite well in MN with all-season snow tires. I still take 800 mile trips with it to visit my parents in Tennessee and it comes in useful when hauling steel/aluminum for building, other auto parts, groceries, and other little things.

As others have said, insurance costs are the biggest additional expense. Another issue is that unless you have a stable job, moving around with two cars is expensive unless you are married and have someone who can help you transport both cars.