Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

587 XFires sold in Oct.

Old 11-11-2003, 12:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in advertising for a living, and DCX is spending plenty on ads...mostly in high end magazines...although they got (and continue to get) plenty of press just for the car's looks. I read an article saying that sales were sluggish, they thought, because it was hard for most folks to buy a Chrysler...just not known for higher end sports cars...would rather buy that Mercedes.

Also, did you see the latest issue of Consumer Reports? The Nissan Z got a "Best Buy" with the RX8 looking pretty good. The Crossfire didn't show well in a spec comparison and was kinda panned as not being a great sportscar for the money.

But NONE of them can compare when it comes to pure beauty. I don't regret buying it at all...still waiting to see one on the road...and it's just too much fun to hear those "wow, niiiiiice" comments at every stoplight....even from vintage Vette owners (my other dream sportcar).

Old 11-11-2003, 06:10 AM

I get fed up with some of these reports, Spec comparisons always put the crossfire last and yet the reality is not only is it far more beautiful than the rest it beats them all except the 350Z. I have read 2 full 'real ' road tests and every time the crossfire out performs the TT and RX8.
The Crossfire has a great deal of mid range punch which is why its a better all round package.
As you say I think it is simply the fact it has a Chrysler Badge that people say it can't be a proper sports car.
I wonder what the response to the car would have been if it had been a Mercedes ??

Old 11-11-2003, 07:16 AM
kusheen
Default Consumer Reports

Diane, re the CR comparison...

Look for Motor Trend, Road and Track, and/or Car and Driver to VERY soon do a 4 way comparo of "Sports Coupes" pitting the RX8, 350Z, Crossfire, and Audi TT.

They will likely use the track version of the Z, and the Audi w/the more powerful engine.

And I would predict they will get similar results as CR did. The Crossfire MIGHT edge out the Audi, especially if R & T does the test (they had the most complimentary review of all the big three mags).

Those tests, especially for sports cars, pretty much evaluate them on overall performance. The Xfire can't keep up with the Z or RX8 in accelaration, and although it handles very, very well and will measure equal or better lateral grip than the other cars, those tech editors can't give DC a pass for having recirculating ball instead of rack and pinion in a sports car.

AND no doubt they'll complain about cheesey plastic console and small cabin...

...but over those other cars, I'll gladly keep the Crossfire. Except in style, where it makes THE statement, I like the compromises it makes performance wise to make for a good (if not great) performer that also is very liveable and well engineered (1st gear notwithstanding).

Like I've said 'til I've annoyed you all...for the b*lls to the wall performance aspect, I'll climb into the Lotus Elise at $38.5K in about 12 months, for fun and comfort, I'll stick with the Crossfire.

Old 11-11-2003, 09:29 AM
Forum Regular

Kush:

I took a look at the Lotus is this the one?? This is one UGLY car (compared to the Crossfire--IMHO) Post a pic of the 2005 version that you are talking about.

http://www.lotuscars.co.uk/template.cfm?name=lotcars

Old 11-11-2003, 05:09 PM

I have seen quite a few returns on the 350Z. I have seen several at Carmax. I asked the sales rep. why they had so many in stock. He said the owners sold them because they did not like the feel of the ride. The ride was very shaking and bumpy.

I haven't test driven one, so I can't comment personally.

The xfire is a beautiful and quality car. I think the reports are simply giving Chrysler a bad rap for whatever reason.

Old 11-11-2003, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by only1jt
The xfire is a beautiful and quality car. I think the reports are simply giving Chrysler a bad rap for whatever reason.
The way Chrysler deals with the press? Free meals trips to the end of the world etc. Chrysler is trying to save money on these things. Other brands go to bed with the journalists (you know what i mean).

Thats what I think

Old 11-11-2003, 07:20 PM

It's only getting a bad rap from people that haven't driven it. They don't think 215 hp is enough. The advice I have for people is either drive one then decide or come and see me. I'll give you a ride you won't think 215 hp is too weak. The RX8 only has 197 hp with the automatic trans. and it's a heavier car.

Old 11-11-2003, 09:16 PM
kusheen
Default response to texex re Lotus

Yup, that's the one. It is indeed one homely little bugger. That isn't the point with that car, it is a purpose build street legal race car, and there are very few things on it that don't make it go faster or handle better.

The Crossfire is much, much better looking to be sure. But as R & T said last month, the Lotus is probably the best handling car on the planet.

Old 11-12-2003, 02:01 PM

I have to agree with all of you for different reasons why the car isn't getting what it deserves. Unfortunately, it looks like no reporter is willing to step out in the middle of the road and give the green flag for the Xfire for fear of his/her rep being mocked by their peers. Perhaps that's the reasom, or could be something altogether different.

I don't know. I have read some good report, but I have read more bad reports.

Will no one lead!?

Old 11-12-2003, 05:12 PM

Road and Track magazine gave it a great road test and review. So have several other magazines. Do a web search for "Chrysler Crossfire Road Test" you will see a bunch. The only really bad write-up I've seen was from a moron at Forbes magazine that was so screwed up he even said that the Crossfire has drum breaks in the rear. I doubt he has ever even seen one.

Old 11-12-2003, 07:47 PM

It is unfortunate that a lot of people base the decision if a car is good or not on what a writer for a magazine thinks. Can we not all think for ourselves. If you like the look of a car then go and test drive it. From there if you like the layout and how the car feels then buy it. It is sad that people let a guy or gal that writes articles for a magazine influence what they buy. You either like the car or not. You be the judge.

Old 11-13-2003, 05:48 AM

Amen, Dakota!!! I aggree 1,000%!!!

Old 11-13-2003, 05:32 PM

I agree with you whole heartedly. We should think for ourselves. But, there are people that will not buy because of what others say.

Also, we have to take into account opinions of others. Those opinions do not decide for us, but it makes us think before buying. For example, this forum does just that. I am not buying now only because there are first run glitches out there I rather not deal with at this time. Not to say I will not have one, but the known ones should be addressed already. Others may not buy because the Crossfire may lack in some area for that buyer.

In the end, we buy what we like for whatever reason drove us to do so, and vice versa.

Everyone is different.

Old 11-13-2003, 07:40 PM

Automobile Magazine has published a capsulized review of "all" the cars out there by category. I.e., sedan, coup, SUV, etc. This magazine seems to have provided the most accurate review and rating on the Crossfire I've seen. It doesn't evaluate it as a purist sports car and compare it against the Boxter, Z, RX or Subaru (as Consumer Reports does) or any other high performance vehicle.

It rates it a stunning, quality built, luxury touring vehicle with a Mercedes heritage with some nominal shortcomings. The end result, it seems to get a VERY positive evaluation based on what it really is v. images or benchmarks others have set it against. I know this review may be self-serving and a convenient confirmation of my recient purchase, but it apprears to accurately reflect what I was looking for.

Unfortunately, Chrysler hasn't created aggressive promo and customer service campaigns that sufficiently differentiate the Crossfire and positions it to appeal to its real market. How many buyers of SLK's, Lexus' 2 seater or Z-4's are attempting to reach 60mph in less than 5 seconds or compete on the track with the 350Z' and other "performance" cars we hear so much about?