Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Thinking out loud

Old 02-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Thinking out loud

i was on the highway when an old porche past me. i noticed on the rear wing it had a rubber flap that looked like it could be folded and tucked in when the spoiler would go back down. my thought is so that no debre or water can get into the engine. im sure you guys are familiar with what im describing. anyways has anyone thought of trying this on our wing. the only benefit i could see from this would be that the motorized components of the wing not being exposed to the elements, and that it might look cool it wouldnt cost much to try and shouldnt be too difficult to fabricate. what do you guys think.

i thought id throw another comment in the same thread. now that im thinking about it the porche rear ends looks pretty similar to the crossfires. especially the newer porches. anyways i was looking at vairous wings made for the newer porches and the variety of wings is just unbelievable. if these wings were able to mount on our cars it would be a good mod. especially for the srt6.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Thinking out loud

I believe back in the 70's and 80's there was a Law that all cars built for European sales had to have a "rubberized" edge on their spoilers. Had something to do with safety.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting points...

I don't think adding anything to interfere with the spoiler would help much at all. What small gain you would notice in "weatherproofing" you would lose in seamless operation. Besides, I've seen the pics of Karmann's test facility and they test their systems for elements resistance. I'd say we're safe.

Regarding the Porsche wings, I think they'd be best left on a Porsche. While our overall slope is similar, I'm sure that once the spoiler was bolted down, you would notice a less-than-optimum rake and it might even interfere with stability. Not to mention, the SRT wing is already 'bold' enough as it is. In fact, many owners think it's borderline too much, but the integration of body lines from the hood and the artful incorporation allows many to excuse it. Personally, I think it's a perfect compliment to ANY Crossfire, and there are many others that agree.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by +fireamx
I believe back in the 70's and 80's there was a Law that all cars built for European sales had to have a "rubberized" edge on their spoilers. Had something to do with safety.
I think he is referring to the rubber casing around the spoiler. It wraps around the entire base of the spoiler and keeps water from getting in the mechanics. I don't have a Porsche but I have seen that on the Carerra and can visualize it in my mind.

Here is my take... a good idea since there are metal arms and gears exposed to water. I try to lube the joints once in a while. I once posted picks of my spoiler housing on the Crossfire. It was starting to peel. Look around the forum for it. I believe it was caused by water sitting in the "cup" of the spoiler housing. If I had the rubber sealer like Porsche then that probably wouldn't have happened.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It might screw up the aerodynamics of the wing too... you end up with a small wall right below the wing instead of flowing through and over it....

Old 02-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Actually... some Bentleys and the new Audi has a pop up spoiler like ours and there is no rubber around the mechanics. It is probably designed to handle the elements. Just lube it once in a while.... and don't use wd40.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You also have to realize that the spoiler on the porche is also connected to the radiator. As air flows over the raised spoiler it pushes air through the rakes and past the radiator. Especially on the older porsche's since they weren't water cooled.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

Just don't dive it in the rain or snow, no problem !!!

Old 02-03-2010, 04:56 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by supercrossfire
i was on the highway when an old porche past me. i noticed on the rear wing it had a rubber flap that looked like it could be folded and tucked in when the spoiler would go back down. my thought is so that no debre or water can get into the engine. im sure you guys are familiar with what im describing. anyways has anyone thought of trying this on our wing. the only benefit i could see from this would be that the motorized components of the wing not being exposed to the elements, and that it might look cool it wouldnt cost much to try and shouldnt be too difficult to fabricate. what do you guys think.
I think Porsche owners use this for tailgate parties...

Old 02-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by blackcrossfire07
I think he is referring to the rubber casing around the spoiler. It wraps around the entire base of the spoiler and keeps water from getting in the mechanics. I don't have a Porsche but I have seen that on the Carerra and can visualize it in my mind.
YouTube - Gilda Radner Nevermind

Old 02-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

you guys are cruel....no porsche parts on the XF...better left for them....