Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Hooniverse article about the Crossfire

Old 03-11-2010, 11:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Hooniverse article about the Crossfire

Just with the TC button off...Before I started driving it that way I was running the interior road course at California Speedway. A semi-pro driver friend of mine drove my car with it off and turned in some unbelievable times. When I got back in, I did not notice he had turned it off. After a couple warm-up laps, I decided to go ba11$ out. When I came to a sharp 90 degree left that the TC would not let me go too quick, I punched it just as I cut the wheel, instant sideways! Off the throttle and a quick flick of the steering wheel and I was headed straight down the track. Unfortunately, I couldn't say the same for the two cars behind me that were following a bit close. Both slid off the track trying to avoid me!

Since then I learned how to do controlled slides, not quite drifting but sliding around a corner. I could never come close to that with the TC on.

Originally Posted by DesertFox
Sorry for getting a little off-topic, but do you mean just by turning the TC button off, or by taking out fuses, etc., to disable the yaw sensor? I, for the life of me, can't get the back end of the car out of line by more than a few degrees, even with the TC button off.

Also, nice read.

Last edited by SRT SIX; 03-17-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wrote me a little response in there, they can have their opinions, i love my car and wouldnt trade anyting for it, the X-fire is the delorean of my generation (im only 23 lol) the car is a work of art and who cares if the rest of the world see's it or not! JR

Old 03-12-2010, 08:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well said Jon. exactly how I feel, and I'm 2x+ older than you!

Old 03-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrf05
i wrote me a little response in there, they can have their opinions, i love my car and wouldnt trade anyting for it, the X-fire is the delorean of my generation (im only 23 lol) the car is a work of art and who cares if the rest of the world see's it or not! JR
CROSSFIRE = DELOREAN - FLUX CAPACITOR

Old 03-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The delorean in my honest opinion was/IS a great car. Comparing the two cars just can't be done... but they are both very similar in many ways. Both were a combo of parts from different automakers. Both were ahead of their time in design. Both were considered under powered for their time (but they really weren't). Both were considered major sales flops. Most importantly, both represent a time of history. The Delorean already does with the 1980's... and I think the Crossfire will one day. People will remember these times (the downfall of Karman/ the failed Mercedes merger with Chrysler.... etc). Maybe I am crazy but that is what I think. Our cars are unique and will still be unique years from now... they will age well.

Last edited by blackcrossfire07; 03-12-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

aging well indeed.....they still look in style, 6 yrs later....not many cars can claim that....

Old 03-15-2010, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by DesertFox
Likewise, I haven't driven an SLK32, so I can't compare too much, although I'm guessing the Mercs may have been setup to feel less aggressive (since rough and raw usually don't equate with luxury). But just like stated in the article linked in the previous post, subjective feel and real performance numbers don't always match up (they said the xFire felt slower in the corners and didn't handle as well, despite it having a better lap time).

Also, one odd thing to me is that MSN Autos lists the SRT-6 coupe at 3240 lbs, and the SLK32 at 3220 lbs. I've always wondered why having a fixed roof somehow made the SRT6 heavier. But who knows, either there's more government-mandated safety equipment, or those numbers aren't accurate...
Sounds reasonable to me.

As you may have guessed, I just assumed the Merc is heavier... that's a real surprise.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Received 517 Likes on 356 Posts

Interesting slalom numbers. I wonder what the difference might have been had they tested an SRT for comparison.

In any event the softer sprung ander powered NA did itself rather proud.

Most of this Crossie bashing is from people who will never look past the badge. Say Dodge Stealth and you get no praise. Say Mitsubishi 3000 and the same folks swoon.

I posted three or four times in the Hooniverse thing.

roadster with a stick

69.6.....Crossfire Limited
69.6.....Mercedes SLR McLaren
69.6.....Ford GT
69.5.....Mini Cooper S
68.6.....Porsche Boxter
68.6.....Lamboorghini Gallardo
68.4.....Mazda RX8
68.4......Subaru Impreza WRX STI
67.9......Mazdaspeed Miata MX-5
67.4......BMW Z4 3.0i
67.3......BMW M33 Competion Coupe
67.3......350Zth Anniversary
66.7......Audi TT 3.2 Quattro DSG
65.8......Acura NSX

By comparison, there were a few faster cars.
MPH
73.9......Porsche Boxter S
73.0......Ferrari Enzo
72.6......Lotus Elise
71.4......Viper SRT-10
70.6......Saleen S7
70.2......Corvette Coupe
70.0 .....Lancer EVOVIII MR

Old 03-15-2010, 10:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
Interesting slalom numbers. I wonder what the difference might have been had they tested an SRT for comparison.
They did Franc. Road & Track magazines Oct. 05 issue, Road Test Summary.

Slalom for Limited Crossfire 69.6 mph, SRT. 67.6 mph.
Skidpad.g Limited Crossfire 0.89 ..vs.. SRT. 0.84

Motor Trend Magazine had an article in their 2003 issue where they compared an 04 XF coupe and a 2003 SLK320.
Weight
Crossfire.....3084 lbs.
SLK320.......3154 lbs.

I don't know why a SRT6 would weigh more than it's "supercharged" Mercedes cousin.
Motor Trend also said the Crossfire handled better than the Merc, but the SLK's handling was more supple.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:17 PM
Received 517 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by +fireamx
They did Franc. Road & Track magazines Oct. 05 issue, Road Test Summary.

Slalom for Limited Crossfire 69.6 mph, SRT. 67.6 mph.
Skidpad.g Limited Crossfire 0.89 ..vs.. SRT. 0.84

Motor Trend Magazine had an article in their 2003 issue where they compared an 04 XF coupe and a 2003 SLK320.
Weight
Crossfire.....3084 lbs.
SLK320.......3154 lbs.

I don't know why a SRT6 would weigh more than it's "supercharged" Mercedes cousin.
Motor Trend also said the Crossfire handled better than the Merc, but the SLK's handling was more supple.
"supple" would be a subjective word.

The posted cars on the blog site revealed no SRT performance. I wonder why then they left it out of the line up.
So, the limited was faster than the SRT?
The limited must have been a stick shifter
Hmm.

roadster with a stick

Old 03-16-2010, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
"supple" would be a subjective word.

The posted cars on the blog site revealed no SRT performance. I wonder why then they left it out of the line up.
So, the limited was faster than the SRT?
The limited must have been a stick shifter
Hmm.

roadster with a stick
As I said previously, I've never driven an SRT-6 so I can't comment on SRT-6 vs. Ltd., however, I really got the feeling that my '04 6 speed Ltd was much faster than the '03 SLK32 AMG that I test drove. I wrote the feeling off at the time, thinking that the Merc was a used car and may not be operating at peak performance (it may not have been, who knows?) but reading this thread, I'm not so sure I should ever have thought otherwise.
I test drove the Merc in the first place because I was considering "upgrading" to it. My enduring memory is that the car was slower, really noisy (engine and suspension) and handled roughly (exhaust sounded really good though) - despite it's luxury status . The salesman test drove mine at the same time and after we both finished our rides (about 20 minutes) he got out and started trashing my Xfire, saying it handled poorly and was nothing compared to the Merc that I just test drove (I wasn't interested in the Merc by that time, though :-) I realize part of this might have been his attempt at selling me, playing up the Merc reputation, but I wondered when the last time, if ever, he had driven the Merc- I had just driven both, back to back and it had convinced me how nice a car the Xfire really is. I really wanted to "upgrade" and would have coined up to do it, had it not been for the way I felt driving both cars back to back-I was being objective, believe me.

For comparison sake, my stock Ltd Xfire had 45,500 miles ( 76,000 Km) on it at the time and the Merc had 33,000 miles (55,000 Km).

Question: how do the HP and torque numbers compare between the SL32 AMG and the SRT-6?

Incidentally, he wanted $23K for the Merc and offered me $ 11K as a trade in price for my Xfire .

Last edited by Stripes; 03-16-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:04 PM
Thumbs up Re: Hooniverse article about the Crossfire

I just wanted to say thanks for coming over to read the article.

Your comments there were insightful and appreciated...

Also, at the end of the article Jim (UDMan) writes "If you are looking for a great-looking car with a lot of German engineering and the Chrysler badge on the hood instead of a three-pointed star, this may be the bargain of the decade."

I am always impressed when someone is passionate AND knowledgeable about their product.

The complete opposite of this happened the one time I reviewed a Saturn Aura: Road Test Review: 2009 Saturn Aura XR - NADAguides Garage

YIKES!

Old 03-17-2010, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Stripes
As I said previously, I've never driven an SRT-6 so I can't comment on SRT-6 vs. Ltd., however, I really got the feeling that my '04 6 speed Ltd was much faster than the '03 SLK32 AMG that I test drove. I wrote the feeling off at the time, thinking that the Merc was a used car and may not be operating at peak performance (it may not have been, who knows?) but reading this thread, I'm not so sure I should ever have thought otherwise.
I test drove the Merc in the first place because I was considering "upgrading" to it. My enduring memory is that the car was slower, really noisy (engine and suspension) and handled roughly (exhaust sounded really good though) - despite it's luxury status . The salesman test drove mine at the same time and after we both finished our rides (about 20 minutes) he got out and started trashing my Xfire, saying it handled poorly and was nothing compared to the Merc that I just test drove (I wasn't interested in the Merc by that time, though :-) I realize part of this might have been his attempt at selling me, playing up the Merc reputation, but I wondered when the last time, if ever, he had driven the Merc- I had just driven both, back to back and it had convinced me how nice a car the Xfire really is. I really wanted to "upgrade" and would have coined up to do it, had it not been for the way I felt driving both cars back to back-I was being objective, believe me.

For comparison sake, my stock Ltd Xfire had 45,500 miles ( 76,000 Km) on it at the time and the Merc had 33,000 miles (55,000 Km).

Question: how do the HP and torque numbers compare between the SL32 AMG and the SRT-6?

Incidentally, he wanted $23K for the Merc and offered me $ 11K as a trade in price for my Xfire .
Quiet, do not let 32Krazy see this, he might not like it

Old 03-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Stripes

The SLK32 AMG has the same engine, transmission, rear end, suspension etc. as the SRT-6. I have run against Buggin a forum member with an SLK32 at the track on several occasions, and we are usually less than a tenth of a second difference between us. I beat him sometimes, and he beats me others. I can guarantee you that if you were to take on an SLK32 that is not in limp mode with your 04 6 speed Ltd., it would eat your lunch to the tune of about 2+ seconds in the quarter. You would not be able to read his license plate as he finished the quarter he would be so far ahead of you.

Last edited by bmorgan; 03-17-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by bmorgan
The SLK32 AMG has the same engine, transmission, rear end, suspension etc. as the SRT-6. I have run against Buggin a forum member with an SLK32 at the track on several occasions, and we are usually less than a tenth of a second difference between us. I beat him sometimes, and he beats me others. I can guarantee you that if you were to take on an SLK32 that is not in limp mode with your 04 6 speed Ltd., it would eat your lunch to the tune of about 2+ seconds in the quarter. You would not be able to read his license plate as he finished the quarter he would be so far ahead of you.
I expect that it should be able to given it's supposed to have 349HP to my 215.

That wasn't my experience though, perhaps it was just that particular car -and that particular driver

Old 03-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I think it was cool for Jeff to come over here and post....thanks, for recognizing us XF gearheads....

Old 03-18-2010, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
I think it was cool for Jeff to come over here and post....thanks, for recognizing us XF gearheads....
I agree Doc , thanks for stopping by Jeff ,

Old 03-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

The thread at Hooniverse has expanded to the thread located here.
Go to the link and post!
Represent!

Old 03-20-2010, 03:50 PM

My pleasure guys...

The tags for the 2nd post (About the upcoming Forum Wars show) was just a joke due to your interest in the first post (the Parting shot).

Are any of you folks located in Southern California? If so, I think it would be both funny and awesome if we could meet up and so a quasi-review of your vehicle... We would photograph the car and give driving impressions.

Feel free to email me at Jeff@Hooniverse.com if you are interested...

thanks again guys

Old 03-20-2010, 05:01 PM

I find the article very interesting. As many references were made to the 70s scat pack cars. Hated in there day but a prized possession today. I will have to say that owning a full service restoration/ hot rod shop. That this is what lead me to buy a crossfire. Only speculation as to the value some 25 yrs from now. But the cars did ruffle some feathers. So I will put my money on the cars having a turn around in value at about the 20yr mark. I will say this enjoy your car as it is yours. But I can tell you from collectors point of view is that any car that will bring top dollar in the future will be an unmolested original. No mods of any kind. Mods boil down to personal taste and what may be trendy today will look dated in the future.So keep all the parts you swap out. You won't be sorry if the market does take a turn for the better. A rule of thumb for a collector is and will be. "They will only be original once"
Tim

Quick Reply: Hooniverse article about the Crossfire