Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

DRB III and Fuel Filter Change

Old 05-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRB III and Fuel Filter Change

After reading the service manual on changing the fuel filter- it says you may need to reset a code using the DRB III after pulling the fuse on the fuel pump to take pressure off of the fuel line.

My mechanic doesn't have a DRB III, and said I would probably have to take it back to Chrysler to reset the code.

Anyway/thing that can be done to avoid the charge to reset the code at the dealership?

Thanks

Don

Old 05-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Default Re: DRB III- and Fuel Filter Change

Originally Posted by donschorr
After reading the service manual on changing the fuel filter- it says you may need to reset a code using the DRB III after pulling the fuse on the fuel pump to take pressure off of the fuel line.

My mechanic doesn't have a DRB III, and said I would probably have to take it back to Chrysler to reset the code.

Anyway/thing that can be done to avoid the charge to reset the code at the dealership?

Thanks

Don
Sorry for the double post the system logged me off and I didn't know the first thread posted.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: DRB III and Fuel Filter Change

ive changed the fuel filter 5 times and never removed the fuse... never reset the system with the DRB tool.

just cap the hoses as you remove them so they wont leak.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by former NXMX5
ive changed the fuel filter 5 times and never removed the fuse... never reset the system with the DRB tool.

What did you cap the hoses with? and how much fuel leaked?

Thanks
Don

Old 05-11-2010, 02:27 AM
Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

wear safety glasses so you dont get gas in your eyes when you remove the first line

Old 05-11-2010, 08:19 PM

What did you cap the hoses with? and how much fuel leaked?

Thanks
Don
we have an assortment of plastic caps in the garage; they usually come as protective covers on new fittings. Youll get some with your new filter (to start your own collection!).

Old 05-12-2010, 10:08 AM

we have an assortment of plastic caps in the garage; they usually come as protective covers on new fittings. Youll get some with your new filter (to start your own collection!).
So I am prepared with a container- how much fuel will leak out?

Thanks for your help.

Don

Old 05-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you dont clamp the line from the fuel tank.... a LOT....

Old 05-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am getting to the point of needing to change this myself, but can I ask why you have had to do this 5 times? What is the mileage/timeframe the manual calls for?

Thanks!

Old 05-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
I am getting to the point of needing to change this myself, but can I ask why you have had to do this 5 times? What is the mileage/timeframe the manual calls for?

Thanks!
I was going to ask the same question, five times? He must be using gas from salvaged storage tanks.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:53 PM

the cars currently got 75,000 miles on it. ive changed the fuel filter every 15-20k, and just did the fifth about a week or so ago. im a big fan of preventative maintenance

Old 05-23-2010, 12:56 PM

I changed the battery about 2 weeks ago and have driven the car about 200 miles- it is not the battery that is causing the hesitation/stutter in the RPM's. It still is doing the stutter at stops- as long as I am moving I do not notice anything wrong. Come to a stop and the hesitation/stutter is there often dropping the RPM's to around 500 or a little lower before coming back up, it has never shut down- Yet.

I will try to get the fuel filter changed this week.

Don

Old 05-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I changed the battery about 2 weeks ago and have driven the car about 200 miles- it is not the battery that is causing the hesitation/stutter in the RPM's. It still is doing the stutter at stops- as long as I am moving I do not notice anything wrong. Come to a stop and the hesitation/stutter is there often dropping the RPM's to around 500 or a little lower before coming back up, it has never shut down- Yet.

Don
Good luck. I hope that cures the problem for you. Please let everyone know! Bob

Old 06-15-2010, 08:04 PM

Don
I got the fuel filter change accomplished finally- went for a hundred mile spirited run through the mountains, lots of twistys nice run.

Come to a couple stop signs and the RPM's falter before recovering back up, slight hesitation on take off.

What is still wrong in the boards opinion.

Thanks
Don

Old 06-15-2010, 08:28 PM

I got the fuel filter change accomplished finally- went for a hundred mile spirited run through the mountains, lots of twistys nice run.

Come to a couple stop signs and the RPM's falter before recovering back up, slight hesitation on take off.

Thanks
Don
Could be a number of things Don. Guys with more mechanical knowledge than I could probably offer a few more suggestions but consider this. Our cars do naturally have a rather 'lumpy' idle. Still by what you've said yours does seem more pronounced. Clean the injectors. You can get stuff to flush 'em out or you can go and get them taken out and cleaned professionally (lol why not upgrade while you got everything apart). Do you run premium fuel?

Check your plugs and leads. How many miles has your car done? I change mine every 70,000 km just to keep everything top notch. Needswings will help you out in that department. Fuel filters are not too high of a maintenance item changing it every 30-40,000 miles will keep you sweet.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Style
Could be a number of things Don. Guys with more mechanical knowledge than I could probably offer a few more suggestions but consider this. Our cars do naturally have a rather 'lumpy' idle. Still by what you've said yours does seem more pronounced. Clean the injectors. You can get stuff to flush 'em out or you can go and get them taken out and cleaned professionally (lol why not upgrade while you got everything apart). Do you run premium fuel?

Check your plugs and leads. How many miles has your car done? I change mine every 70,000 km just to keep everything top notch. Needswings will help you out in that department. Fuel filters are not too high of a maintenance item changing it every 30-40,000 miles will keep you sweet.

Style, premium only. 30K on the car, I take great care of the X as I do all of my cars. Having said that it is only a car, I don't look at it as some do here. I drive and enjoy it immensely however it does require a 'lot' of tweaking to keep it running properly. I owned a TR-6 that didn't require as much babying as the X has.

Last edited by donschorr; 06-15-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:47 PM

Thanks
Don
Took it to the Dealership, they kept it for a couple days to get it to mimick the hesitation/almost stall. Turns out it was a cracked hose leading to the intake. While the car was there I had the second valve cover gasket replaced under warranty. I had to pay for the trouble shoot time and part for the hose leak as I am out of warranty due to date car was put into service, not the mileage. All in all happy that the problem hopefully has been discoverd.

The dealership mechanic and service writer who I have become friends with both state that the Xfire has minimal problems with it except for the common things we all discuss- however this was the first on the cracked hose.

Good luck- if it turns out that the hose did not take care of my issue I will let the board know.