Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Oil level check from the instrument panel

Old 03-15-2004, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil level check from the instrument panel

Hi kids:
Tried to check the oil level from the instrument panel, but the ok doesn't come up (it is full); Can anyone help me?
Thanks, HOT WHEELS

Old 03-16-2004, 07:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After the engine is warm turn it off for a few minutes. Then turn your key on but do not start the engine. Wait a few seconds and the oil icon will come on. Push the left whatever you call it and it will display your oil status.

Old 03-16-2004, 12:00 PM
Default cool

awesome! I did not even know about this feature. I'll have to try it out...

Old 03-16-2004, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by AZ Outlaws
Push the left whatever you call it and it will display your oil status.
:lol: :lol: AZ - There you go again - using those technical terms!! :lol: :lol:

Old 03-17-2004, 07:37 AM
Default checking oil level from the instrument panel

I pushed the whatever two times like it says in the manual, with no result.

Old 03-17-2004, 01:24 PM
Forum Regular

Here is the procedure I used today and it worked fine:

1. The engine temp should be at a normal operating level and the car should be on a level surface.
2. Turn off the engine.
3. Turn on the ignition switch, but do not start the engine.
4. Press and hold the status indicator pushbutton switch (a more technical term...) for 3-5 seconds.
5. 1-2 seconds after releasing the switch, you will see an oil icon in the trip odometer display location and a clock icon in the odometer display.
6. Press the pushbutton twice, and the oil indicator will read ok, high, 1 Qt Low, or 2 Qt Low.
7. If the display continues to read blank. there is a problem with the sensor.
8. The display will clear itself in about 10 seconds, or you can clear it immediately by pressing the pushbutton one more time.

I tried this three times, and it worked each time. This method eliminates the five minute wait after stopping the engine. The only problem with this method is that it will reset your trip odometer.

Old 03-17-2004, 01:57 PM

Thanks, I'll try it today.
HOT WHEELS

Old 05-04-2017, 05:52 PM
Default Re: Oil level check from the instrument panel

Originally Posted by AZ Outlaws
After the engine is warm turn it off for a few minutes. Then turn your key on but do not start the engine. Wait a few seconds and the oil icon will come on. Push the left whatever you call it and it will display your oil status.
My dash readout says -2,300. Does that refer to oul change and am I that far past needing it changed? Just bought a 2006 Ltd.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:55 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It may just mean the reset wasn't done at the last oil change..

Old 05-04-2017, 06:01 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

It means that if you did the last change, and properly reset the FSS, that you now have 9,300 miles on the car since the last change.
Since you just bought the car, do the oil change and reset the FSS, then you will know when to do it again.
When you reset the FSS, you will see 7,000 miles displayed.
It's all covered in the owner's manual, if you don't have one, you can download one from the below link.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:18 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

I think anyone who leaves their oil and filter unchanged for 7,000 miles is being foolish. I think3,000 miles is long enough, just because a car company brags about the service interval does not mean we have to believe them. I would not buy a high mileage car that had been treated this way.
Look at the oil on the dipstick that black stuff in the oil is not good for your engine, the more mileage on the oil the blacker it gets,it also collects other undesirable contaminants as well. I change my oil every 2,500 miles needed or not.

If you want to get an idea of how a members car has been treated read their posts.

Last edited by onehundred80; 05-04-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:49 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Traviss
My dash readout says -2,300. Does that refer to oul change and am I that far past needing it changed? Just bought a 2006 Ltd.

Many members have quite a time understanding/successfully resetting the FSS (reset procedure). After just (again) changing my oil, I tried 3 different versions (one from the owners manual and two posted here in the forum). I found out one critical error in the way I was doing it (regardless of which of the 3 I tried, all of which failed repeatedly). The one that worked for me was one of the two I found here titled Resetting Service Indicator' (I believe in a .pdf I downloaded but I cannot find it on my computer) that ALSO has the 'Checking Electronic Oil Level' below it on the same page. The third 'bullet' (step) says "The present status for days or distance is displayed. Within 10 seconds turn the key to OFF / LOCK." This is where I was consistently going wrong. I thought they were instructing to turn it off OR all the way to lock. I was turning it to the off (engine not running) position, not all the way to lock (where you can take the key out). After I found and corrected this one certain step, it worked every time (did it a number of times, successfully). It came down to the interpretation of how it was printed. OFF / LOCK without spaces was interpreted to mean either. OFF/LOCK means the lock position where the key can be removed (In fact the owners manual does not have the spaces between the characters). This is a huge difference, and the reason why most of my attempts over the years was failing. Just so happens, in the past, I was 'stumbling' on the OFF/LOCK during my frustrating attempts on resetting. So, where is says to turn the key to OFF / LOCK, it means all the way to where the steering wheel locks (and the key can be removed). Following the rest of the steps allows the FSS reset without errors. I sincerely hope this helps a few more members who was/is having trouble with this procedure.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:00 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I hereby grant Professor George tenure on this forum.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
I hereby grant Professor George tenure on this forum.

Awwww TYVM George, you mean when I finally 'got it'? LMAO! Lets hope it stays with me when I do it again next year... We all know it gets harder to remember as the years go by...

Old 05-05-2017, 04:52 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Awwww TYVM George, you mean when I finally 'got it'? LMAO! Lets hope it stays with me when I do it again next year... We all know it gets harder to remember as the years go by...

Someone has not read their Owners Manual, page eleven for the 2008 Crossfires.
I had to do this now or I would have forgotten all about it.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
OFF-LOCK.pdf (199.7 KB, 55 views)
Resetting the FSS.pdf (405.0 KB, 76 views)
Checking the Oil Level.pdf (407.2 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by onehundred80; 05-05-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Someone has not read their Owners Manual, page eleven for the 2008 Crossfires.
I had to do this now or I would have forgotten all about it.

Thanks for the .pdf's Dave. Page 138 section of 4 of the 08 manual has this information as well BUT I downloaded the 'help' .pdf's and printed them first (and) the ones I printed have those spaces between the F, the /, and the L. If you continued to read my post, you would have seen ( "OFF/LOCK means the lock position where the key can be removed (In fact the owners manual does not have the spaces between the characters). This is a huge difference, and the reason why most of my attempts over the years was failing. Just so happens, in the past, I was 'stumbling' on the OFF/LOCK during my frustrating attempts on resetting" ).

I reviewed the .pdf's you created, the two I have do not match yours, so you can rest assured I was not pointing any fingers consciously or subliminally. Either way, if I can make this simple a mistake, maybe my mistakes can help others NOT make the same error?