Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Uh oh...

Old 07-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Uh oh...

Well... I may have just ended my autocross season early. My back right tire sideswiped a curb pretty harshly, which wouldn't concern me really if there was no abnormal noises or bent looking rims, but this time I put a small (about 1-inch long or a little under) cut in my sidewall, in which rock chips from the yellow curb were embedded.

Now I won't be autocrossing until I can get new tires (or a set of really reasonably priced rear Michelin Pilot A/S plus's), but the question is it ok to drive on? I didn't look too deep, maybe a quarter of an inch at most in a downward angle, only slightly toward the inside of the tire. I'm just getting ready to leave tomorrow to make a 170 mile trip, and I'm concerned that it might exploded on the highway. Does anyone think it's still safe?

Last edited by shapeshifter309; 07-01-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Default Re: Uh oh...

Originally Posted by shapeshifter309
Does anyone think it's still safe?
I think you should take it to an honest tire professional (if you can find one) as soon as possible and get it checked. Otherwise .... get a new tire ......

Old 07-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well... I may have just ended my autocross season early. My back right tire sideswiped a curb pretty harshly, which wouldn't concern me really if there was no abnormal noises or bent looking rims, but this time I put a small (about 1-inch long or a little under) cut in my sidewall, in which rock chips from the yellow curb were embedded.

Now I won't be autocrossing until I can get new tires (or a set of really reasonably priced rear Michelin Pilot A/S's), but the question is it ok to drive on? I didn't look too deep, maybe a quarter of an inch at most in a downward angle, only slightly toward the inside of the tire. I'm just getting ready to leave tomorrow to make a 170 mile trip, and I'm concerned that it might exploded on the highway. Does anyone think it's still safe?
I owned a tire store for ten years and my answer is NO!! Sidewalls are barely a 1/4 inch to begin with, but even if you are off on the depth---still NO. When you drive the side heated up and the weak point will give. You already know that we do not have a spare, and a blown sidewall will have you sitting and waiting for a tow truck which will cost MORE than a tire. That's assuming you can keep it on the road---not worth the safety of you and others. You can get a used one for $40-65 bucks on the car if you need something to get you by. Jimmy

Old 07-02-2010, 01:13 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JimmyJames
I owned a tire store for ten years and my answer is NO!! Sidewalls are barely a 1/4 inch to begin with, but even if you are off on the depth---still NO. When you drive the side heated up and the weak point will give. You already know that we do not have a spare, and a blown sidewall will have you sitting and waiting for a tow truck which will cost MORE than a tire. That's assuming you can keep it on the road---not worth the safety of you and others. You can get a used one for $40-65 bucks on the car if you need something to get you by. Jimmy
I may have been off with my measurements, but I'll take your warning into consideration. I think what I'm gonna do is drive the car around my neighborhood for a little bit tomorrow morning and get the tire nice and hot, maybe put it under some stress, and see if it holds up. That way, if it doesn't, at least it didn't happen on the highway and I'm close to home. I'm hoping it was, for the most part, merely cosmetic, as the cut started where on some raised lettering.

Does anyone know where I could possibly take it to have someone look at it who could tell me if it's safe? I would take it to Sears auto center, but I have a feeling they probably only marginally know more than a house cat.

Last edited by shapeshifter309; 07-02-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:54 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may have been off with my measurements, but I'll take your warning into consideration. I think what I'm gonna do is drive the car around my neighborhood for a little bit tomorrow morning and get the tire nice and hot, maybe put it under some stress, and see if it holds up. That way, if it doesn't, at least it didn't happen on the highway and I'm close to home. I'm hoping it was, for the most part, merely cosmetic, as the cut started where on some raised lettering.

Does anyone know where I could possibly take it to have someone look at it who could tell me if it's safe? I would take it to Sears auto center, but I have a feeling they probably only marginally know more than a house cat.
Any major tire store will know. Some may think that they JUST want to sell a tire, but most will tell you the truth---try two or three stores. If all three say get a tire, then get a tire. Driving around the neighborhood will not generate the same stress. The difference will be like in NASCAR driving behind the pace car and driving at 180 mph. Drivers NEVER lose a tire behind the pace car---they blow at speed. The heat generated will be different, but the MAJOR difference will be the time at that heat. Good luck and be safe!!!! Just remember that a used tire will be cheaper than any body damage that maybe caused by a blow out. Jimmy

Last edited by JimmyJames; 07-02-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JimmyJames
Any major tire store will know. Some may think that they JUST want to sell a tire, but most will tell you the truth---try two or three stores. If all three say get a tire, then get a tire. Driving around the neighborhood will not generate the same stress. The difference will be like in NASCAR driving behind the pace car and driving at 180 mph. Drivers NEVER lose a tire behind the pace car---they blow at speed. The heat generated will be different, but the MAJOR difference will be the time at that heat. Good luck and be safe!!!! Just remember that a used tire will be cheaper than any body damage that maybe caused by a blow out. Jimmy
If I even had the option to purchase a used tire for the XF, I would. I checked last night though, and no dice. I couldn't even afford replacements right now, nor could I get the same tires without ordering them from tire rack (so I don't mismatch the treads).

It seems from what I was able to dig up that as long as the plys or cords aren't showing, it may be fine. Like I said, the cut probably wasn't as deep/long as I described.

I'll take it to a few places if the first one or 2 tell me I need a new one though. I would figure a good amount of them around here would try to tell me a new tire without realizing they don't even carry a tire for the XF.

Last edited by shapeshifter309; 07-02-2010 at 11:54 AM.