Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Turn signals suddenly stop working...

Old 08-14-2010, 11:17 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Turn signals suddenly stop working...

Today, when making a right turn, I noticed my turn signal was not working. Long story short, I lost all flasher control of my turn signals. The four way hazards worked, which told me I had a failing flasher. Their was also a failed bulb indicator on my instrument panel lit up. If I turned the car off and then back on, the failed bulb indicator would not show until either the left or right turn signal was activated, at which time the bulb warning icon would light up and stay on until the engine was powered off. Stopping for gas and re-starting the car did not make any difference until we stopped later at a grocery store, returned to the car, tried the turn signals and they suddenly started working again. They are still working.
Using the forum search engine didn't show any results. I have the complete shop manuals for the car and will start investigating tomorrow, starting with the flasher module.
The first thing I thought of was my trip to Woodward later this week. Timing is everything!!!
Has anyone had a similar problem? Am I looking at a failing flasher?

Old 08-14-2010, 11:21 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: Turn signals suddenly stop working....

Originally Posted by tonygg
Today, when making a right turn, I noticed my turn signal was not working. Long story short, I lost all flasher control of my turn signals. The four way hazards worked, which told me I had a failing flasher. Their was also a failed bulb indicator on my instrument panel lit up. If I turned the car off and then back on, the failed bulb indicator would not show until either the left or right turn signal was activated, at which time the bulb warning icon would light up and stay on until the engine was powered off. Stopping for gas and re-starting the car did not make any difference until we stopped later at a grocery store, returned to the car, tried the turn signals and they suddenly started working again. They are still working.
Using the forum search engine didn't show any results. I have the complete shop manuals for the car and will start investigating tomorrow, starting with the flasher module.
The first thing I thought of was my trip to Woodward later this week. Timing is everything!!!
Has anyone had a similar problem? Am I looking at a failing flasher?
could it be just a bulb going out? one of mine just went down as well...must just be our luck...lol

Old 08-14-2010, 11:35 PM
Banned

could it be just a bulb going out?
Don't think so. I have had a turn signal bulb fail in the past and the car behaved just like every other car I have ever owned....fast flashing, indicating one of the two bulbs (front and back) has blown. This problem pretty much shut down all signal functions on both sides. But the four way hazards worked, showing all four bulbs working....go figure!

I did a second forum search and found posts from other Crossfire owners who have experienced the same thing. All four turn signals stop working but the hazards work. Mysteriously, the problem goes away, sometimes returning at a later date. One guy had his car in the shop four times and they couldn't figure it out. A look at the service manuals doesn't make mention of all turn signals failing, but there is mention if all turn signals don't work including back-up lights, then to check fuse #4. One of the posts in my search tells of similar posts on MB forums and the culprit seems to be the fuse that oxidizes over time and needs cleaning.

Last edited by user 8202; 08-15-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:17 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't think so. I have had a turn signal bulb fail in the past and the car behaved just like every other car I have ever owned....fast flashing, indicating one of the two bulbs (front and back) has blown. This problem pretty much shut down all signal functions on both sides. But the four way hazards worked, showing all four bulbs working....go figure!

I did a second forum search and found posts from other Crossfire owners who have experienced the same thing. All four turn signals stop working but the hazards work. Mysteriously, the problem goes away, sometimes returning at a later date. One guy had his car in the shop four times and they couldn't figure it out. A look at the service manuals doesn't make mention of all turn signals failing, but there is mention if all turn signals don't work including back-up lights, then to check fuse #4. One of the posts in my search tells of similar posts on MB forums and the culprit seems to be the fuse that oxidizes over time and needs cleaning.
Try that then. I would figure it would be a wiring problem, and probably a lot of shops would too, which would explain why the other person you mentioned couldn't get it fixed after 4 times in the shop.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Tony, did you check the fuse? I had a bulb-out indicator for a blown back up light fuse. Every time I put the car in reverse the fuse blew and bulb-out indicator lit-up. I traced the problem to a short. No problems since.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Banned
Default Re: Turn signals suddenly stop working...

Tony, did you check the fuse?
Today I went out to the car, started it up and the turn signals are working. I checked fuse #4 as mentioned in a forum search, only to find that fuse #4 is for the heated mirrors only, so that was a little misdirected.
Surprisingly, there is no listing for bulbs or turn signals anywhere on the fuse labels, but there is a fuse for the four-way-hazards. Standing there not really knowing where to go next, I decided to remove and re-seat all 31 fuses for whatever its worth.
I'm hoping this was just an anomaly that won't return any time soon. It's not a good feeling driving without turn signals....the car gets enough attention as it is, turning without signaling is just begging for one finger solutes and other hostile responses from other drivers...... it's also dangerous.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Tony, turn signals and back-up lights are on the same fuse on the headlight switch module....... 15 amp. I think?

Old 08-15-2010, 01:08 PM
Banned

Tony, turn signals and back-up lights are on the same fuse on the headlight switch module....... 15 amp. I think?
Thanks! Is the fuse found on the headlight switch module or in the fuse box? I find it curious that I swapped out the headlight switch module last year for an American type (no DRL's). Maybe I should re-seat the switch module?

Old 08-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Thanks! Is the fuse found on the headlight switch module or in the fuse box? I find it curious that I swapped out the headlight switch module last year for an American type (no DRL's). Maybe I should re-seat the switch module?
I may be wrong, and I often am, but the flasher is a part of the multi-function switch and is not replaceable on its own. OUCH!
I hope it's something simple and cheap to fix.
The multi-function switch is attached to the turn signal lever. You probably get a new lever as well.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:00 PM
Banned

I hope it's something simple and cheap to fix.
I hope the problem never returns.....!
See you at Woodward....

Old 08-26-2010, 10:08 PM
Banned
Default Turn Signals Fixed!

Thanks to the quick thinking forum member Rudy Compar, who I met when attending Woodward, the problem ended up being nothing more then the related fuse falling out of its socket. For some unkown reason, one of the sockets had folded into itself and had to be pryed open from behind for a fix. The headlamp module was removed, opened up and the repair done from the inside out. I'm embarassed to admit that I had totally forgotten about the lamp fuses that are found at the side of the headlamp module, accessed when the drivers door is open. Big headache....easy fix!

Last edited by user 8202; 08-31-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:43 PM

I am having the same issue with my turn signals. All the other lights work, and it isn't the switch. My mechanics turn the car inside and out looking for a reason. I'm about to take the car into a Chrysler dealership..but I'm afraid of the cost since it is right before xmas. I'm going to check those fuses the the other posters talked about and hopefully I'll find it.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:35 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by KnFleig
I am having the same issue with my turn signals. All the other lights work, and it isn't the switch. My mechanics turn the car inside and out looking for a reason. I'm about to take the car into a Chrysler dealership..but I'm afraid of the cost since it is right before xmas. I'm going to check those fuses the the other posters talked about and hopefully I'll find it.
Talk to Rudy....he seems to have these cars memorized...lol

Old 12-20-2010, 07:07 PM
Forum Regular

Could it be something as easy as this:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...hind-dash.html

Old 12-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Forum Regular

I have had the same thing you are describing happen to my car. This happened before I actually bought the car and I noticed this when I took the car for a test drive. I bought the car from a Ford dealership and they agreed to have Chrysler fix it free of charge to me. I cannot remember exactly what they said the problem was but I checked up on the car every couple of days and they had my steering wheel off and the entire dash taken apart. They ended up keeping my car for two weeks before the problem was fixed. All I can remember was that it was a modulator of some sort. Sorry I cannot give any more info than this.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:04 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

'04 Xfire that has the same problem. I followed everything posted here and still cannot resolve. It looks to be a short because if I move the driver's side turn signal and install on passenger side (I get the fast blinking). But when I install the passenger side on the driver side I don't get the fast blinking and the turn signal works. Any other ideas were I might check. Fuses are ok in engine compartment (does anyone's fuse box jiggle)? Mine does..

Old 01-25-2011, 08:47 AM

The turn signals are controlled by a micro-processor built into the I.C. (instrument cluster) It regulates the arrow flashing & clicking noise. If your familiar with using the shop manuals, follow the path of diagnosis on Page 8-J-53. (2006 version.) If the ohms are o.k. REPLACE the I.C. Ouch for sure. If you follow all other diagnostic pages for each of the 4 turn signals not working the result is the same REPLACE. No more plug in flashers for a quick fix. Sorry

Old 01-25-2011, 05:32 PM
Banned

Attached is a simple wiring diagram from the service manual. I also recall on another schematic, the turn signals sharing the 4way flasher module, but can't remember the specifics.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Turn Lamp Inoperative.pdf (41.0 KB, 191 views)
Old 11-02-2011, 10:29 AM

There are TWO fuse boxes in this car. The "main" one, the one under the hood does not contain any of the lighting fuses.

What you have to do is open your drivers-side door, and look for two slitted circles on the side of the dashboard. A quarter turn to both of these circles will unlock the panel. Remove the panel (you have to wiggle it a bit, but it should come right out.)

The fuse for back-up lights and turn signals is #4, and looks like a 15A blue fuse. I replaced the fuse, and it worked again. I'm hoping the problem does not return, but for now its working

Old 02-28-2012, 08:35 AM

I've had the same issue all Winter with my indicators. When I start the engine in the morning they don't work but my hazards do, and the bulb out warning light is on. The indicator stick has been replaced to a costly tune of £350, and the issue is still there.

Over the past 2 months I have noticed the following:

Once my engine heats up to normal temperature, the bulb out warning light goes off and the indicators work again.

As I am driving, if I get the timing just right, I turn the indicators on and then hit the dashboard where the bulb warning light is. This makes the bulb warning light turn off and the indicators work again.

I've also noticed that if my sidelights or headlights are on, I can wiggle the headlights switch and this tends to cut out the bulb warning light and make the indicators work.

I'm now saving to take my car in for a service and to have this fault looked at as there is obviously a short / wiring issue somewhere around the area of the bulb warning light.

PS - Apologies for my lack of technical knowledge, I'm a girl and don't know much about cars apart from I like driving

Quick Reply: Turn signals suddenly stop working...