Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

HELP - Tranny sliping out of gear

Old 10-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP - Tranny sliping out of gear

So i was "agressively" driving my 05 Crossfire coupe the other day and as i quickly approached 80mph there was a loud thud and the car seemed to pop out of gear (auto tranny). If I step on the pedal the car just rev's and goes no where, however I pulled over and put the car into park and then shut it off and turned it on again. The car went back into gear and continued to drive fine. Any idea's why this is happening. It has happened 3 times now. I saw the other page regarding low tranny fluid - any other ideas!

Thanks!

Old 10-18-2010, 02:39 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: HELP - Tranny sliping out of gear

I'm no professional but I have read posts before with people who have the same problem as you and changing your transmission fluid has helped others. Your supposed to change the transmission fluid at 60,000 miles if your over that mark. Here is something I pulled from a website.

"
Shutting off the engine caused the transmission's fluid pressure to drop to zero. That allowed the transmission's valves to release. When you started the car again, the valves went into their proper positions.
This action can occur when the transmission fluid is low. Check the level to be certain it is filled to the proper level. Use the relevant mark on the dip stick (Hot or Cold marking) when checking the fluid level.
Very dark transmission oil may mean that it should be changed. Check your records to see if the mileage and driving conditions exceed the manufacturer's recommendation.
Dirty transmission fluid will affect, and even impede shifting. It will cause extra transmission wear.
The transmission fluid should be maintained to the proper level and not allowed to get excessively dirty. Both of these conditions can cause the oil to overheat and give it that burnt odor. This can damage the transmission permanently."

Why does my automatic transmission sometimes pops out of gear?

Old 10-18-2010, 04:29 PM

that or maybe youre hitting the autostick? ive done that a few times and couldnt figure it out. just a thought

Old 10-18-2010, 05:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Low fluid is most likely the cause.