Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Tips for driving a manual in a crossfire

Old 11-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Tips for driving a manual in a crossfire

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Your cars computer won't accept that gear ratio, and by 3rd. gear it would put you into "limp" mode, (Unless you have an 04-6 speed). Then you could probably get away with it just by disconnecting the main line going into your TC. (But you will still lose your anti-locks).
On later model 6 speeds, (when disconnecting the TC) other nasty things happen like losing your brake lights, and I forget what else.
I keep forgetting about all these wacky sensors lol.. Maybe the easiest way to figure out if something will work on this car is to just keep telling myself "no".

Old 11-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oyster_gold
Just out of curiosity how is the brake/accelerator pedal alignment in the manual XF's? I was surprised how much variance is in my AT. I have to actually pull my leg back to get my foot on the brake instead of simply pivoting my foot. One of the very few complaints I have with my car. Sorry if this is off topic in this thread.
Yup, same here. Does anyone know if there is an adjustment to the brake pedal to even it with the gas pedal? (probably not)

Op, try to get a friend who knows stick and watch him drive your car. It's like riding a bike, once you get it you never forget.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by tunaglove
Yup, same here. Does anyone know if there is an adjustment to the brake pedal to even it with the gas pedal? (probably not)

Op, try to get a friend who knows stick and watch him drive your car. It's like riding a bike, once you get it you never forget.
Good suggestion Tuna. I'd be happy to do it but many would suggest I don't know how to drive a stick. So perhaps you should hook up with JHM2K. John is an awesome driver, quite knowledgable and exceptionaly eager to help a friend.

Honestly Bionic, I couldn't recommend a better guy, and he is right there in Nashville.

roadster with a stick

Old 11-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote=Larry Hitze]
Originally Posted by Rapp's
You will need to shift to 2nd around 14-16mph unless you can take the screaming of rpms and the looks of drivers next to you wondering why your making all that noise and not going faster than a child on a tricycle. If you don't lose the forward motion that came from 1st get into 2nd then it's an more enjoyable experience. If you do lose forward motion open the door, put your foot on the pavement and like a scooter push and lift your foot until you can shift into 2nd. The manual was not designed for any kind of "spirited" driving it's easier to accept this now than fix a transmission later.

First of all my manual is at 3100 rpm at 15 mph, hardly screaming, there is 2900 rpm left and 31 mph is accurate- I checked yesterday. I don't know how you lose so much forward motion from 1st to 2nd as it coasts rather well - you are making it sound like a Yugo. I drive it like I stole it some ( Spirited ) and I don't seem to come up with anything like your cars shifter. Even when I drive it like the grandpa I am I don't see it like you do at all. That little pedal on the right makes it go faster and makes first gear a little more fun.
Message - CrossfireForum.org Gallery My car at Gateway on the track starting in first gear, at least I hope so I'm not on my computer at the present and this one won't allow me to run videos.
Larry.....settle down there- it was meant as humor more than anything, certainly not to bring visions of Yugo's to mind. That's a disturbing thought you got there. To each his own as far as driving styles and rpm/noise. To clarify, I don't lose forward motion 1st to 2nd, you took this far too seriously and I don't have a video to post of me driving the Crossfire so you'll have to trust me on this. Plus it would be so dull you'd be snoring by the time I opened the door to put my foot out to push the car into 2nd! Maybe I'm more comfortable with the gear box on the Viper?
I still stand by my point it's the XF is a great car, love mine glad I bought it.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Whew-- I thought you were talking smack about your nice roadster there, please accept my apologies. Larry

Old 11-09-2010, 11:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
You are quite right. Third is the awesome gear in the Crossie. One can do the entire Dragon in third very well.

I also find in stop and go rubberbanding traffic that the engine handles the lugging OK and the top end (about 85 MPH comfortably) is more than enough for that situation. One can keep the left foot at rest.

The biggest problem I have is that after so many years of driving a four speed, as I leave heavy traffic it is not uncommon for me to notice some 20 miles down the road, that I haven't put it in 6th. The torque curve in this engine is so level, one does not feel it drop off at the higher RPMS.
I like to drive in 3rd a lot too. Getting onto the highway, working through 3, or 6 lanes of traffic to get to the left lane, it's great - on the gas for some quick acceleration to shoot into a hole, off to slow down. Nice.

I also find myself forgetting to get out of 4th and into 6th

Old 11-09-2010, 11:20 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Overdrive is a gearbox ratio of less than 1:1, and this cars 6th gear is less than 1:1. Its 0.838 as in the post above. That's the definition of overdrive.
Go figure. Well, it just doesn't feel very overdrivey.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:22 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I'm in traffic at a light, I've found that you can just ease out the clutch in 1st gear without even stepping on the gas to get rolling - the ECU seems to adjust the throttle to keep it from stalling...you can't take off like you are racing, but it is convenient if the traffic is not moving very fast when the light changes.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:42 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The HHR SS sticks were called "no lift shift" setups, the XF stick sure seems to me to function like that....anyone know technically why Chevy called the HHR SS "no lift"...as compared to any other of their cars with sticks?

This is not computer controlled rev-matching like on the new Zs.

Last edited by Chris L.; 11-10-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris L.
The HHR SS sticks were called "no lift shift" setups, the XF stick sure seems to me to function like that....anyone know technically why Chevy called the HHR SS "no lift"...as compared to any other of their cars with sticks?

This is not computer controlled rev-matching like on the new Zs.
No lift or flat shift is usually a 2 step rev limiter that only activates at a certain tps % and after a certain rpm. In between shifts, it is supposed to keep the engine speed low, close to the RPM that the next gear will start at.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

[quote=Rapp's]
Originally Posted by Larry Hitze
Larry.....settle down there- it was meant as humor more than anything, certainly not to bring visions of Yugo's to mind. That's a disturbing thought you got there. To each his own as far as driving styles and rpm/noise. To clarify, I don't lose forward motion 1st to 2nd, you took this far too seriously and I don't have a video to post of me driving the Crossfire so you'll have to trust me on this. Plus it would be so dull you'd be snoring by the time I opened the door to put my foot out to push the car into 2nd! Maybe I'm more comfortable with the gear box on the Viper?
I still stand by my point it's the XF is a great car, love mine glad I bought it.
In first gear you can get to full throttle in less time than any other gear, the result is more acceleration than any other gear and you can feel it. Therefore when you push the clutch pedal your car actually starts to slow down and you jerk forward as you are carried forward by momentum, a passenger feels it more as they have no steering wheel to hang onto.
The more you get toward the red line the bigger the jerk is.
It's much more comfortable to change from 1st to 2nd earlier. The car does coast extremely well and will start to roll when the brakes are removed on almost imperceptible slopes.
Forward motion is not actually lost, it is the sudden absence of acceleration that is felt.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts

[quote=onehundred80]
Originally Posted by Rapp's
In first gear you can get to full throttle in less time than any other gear, the result is more acceleration than any other gear and you can feel it. Therefore when you push the clutch pedal your car actually starts to slow down and you jerk forward as you are carried forward by momentum, a passenger feels it more as they have no steering wheel to hang onto.
The more you get toward the red line the bigger the jerk is.
It's much more comfortable to change from 1st to 2nd earlier. The car does coast extremely well and will start to roll when the brakes are removed on almost imperceptible slopes.
Forward motion is not actually lost, it is the sudden absence of acceleration that is felt.
Engineers think they have the answer to everything. Except, perhaps, the width of the front gate.

Nicely explained Dave.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 11-10-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:30 AM

[quote=Franc Rauscher]

Engineers think they have the answer to everything. Except, perhaps, the width of the front gate.

Nicely explained Dave.
Nothing wrong with your memory, I'll have to be careful.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of things to think about here. Here's one more: Try not to get into the habit of coasting for great distances with the clutch pushed in.

Worst case scenario, you're coasting down a highway hill in 1st gear with the clutch depressed. Your car is going 65 mph, your engine idling at 900 rpm, and your flywheel is spinning at a bazillion rpm. When that comes apart it will be a dramatic event, to say the least.

Dennis

Old 11-13-2010, 10:21 AM

Coasting long distances with the clutch pedal depressed causes premature wear of the throwout bearing. As does sitting at traffic lights with the clutch depressed. You may think it's only for 30 seconds or less (on average). But it adds up.
I'm in neutral at nearly every traffic light. Actually, I'm in neutral practically everytime I'm not accelerating.

Last edited by +fireamx; 11-13-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by DSGoose
Lots of things to think about here. Here's one more: Try not to get into the habit of coasting for great distances with the clutch pushed in.

Worst case scenario, you're coasting down a highway hill in 1st gear with the clutch depressed. Your car is going 65 mph, your engine idling at 900 rpm, and your flywheel is spinning at a bazillion rpm. When that comes apart it will be a dramatic event, to say the least.

Dennis
When my engine is idling at 900 rpm my flywheel is going at the same rpm.
Coasting is out of gear and there is no need for the clutch to be depressed.
1st gear at 65 mph?

Old 11-14-2010, 09:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When my engine is idling at 900 rpm my flywheel is going at the same rpm.
Coasting is out of gear and there is no need for the clutch to be depressed.
1st gear at 65 mph?
My bad - that would be the clutch plate that's spinning very fast in the scenario I described.

I'm not sure what the correct term is for moving while in gear with the clutch depressed. Forgive me if "coasting" is inaccurate.

And this is hyperbole to make the point, but somewhere in North America there must be, for example, a service station at the top of hill.

Regardless, coasting in neutral, or in gear with the clutch depressed, is bad practice and illegal (since you must be in control of your car at all times).

Dennis

Old 11-14-2010, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by DSGoose
My bad - that would be the clutch plate that's spinning very fast in the scenario I described.

I'm not sure what the correct term is for moving while in gear with the clutch depressed. Forgive me if "coasting" is inaccurate.

And this is hyperbole to make the point, but somewhere in North America there must be, for example, a service station at the top of hill.

Regardless, coasting in neutral, or in gear with the clutch depressed, is bad practice and illegal (since you must be in control of your car at all times).

Dennis
The clutch plate never goes at a bazillion rpm, at 65mph it always rotates at the same speed, clutch in, out or in any gear. At 130mph it rotates twice as fast.
With the clutch depressed and rolling for any distance I would call it stupid but still coasting.
Legal or not it will help you when you must save gas. It's only when they can prove it that it becomes illegal and that would be hard to do.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:18 AM

It's only when they can prove it that it becomes illegal and that would be hard to do.
Not with the "little black boxs ALL cars have now-a-days" 180. It just keeps getting easier and easier for "Big Brother" to intrude into our private lives. But that's another story.
As for "coasting" being illegal, all I can say is. I'm breaking the law everytime I pull my car out of the driveway.

I'm almost always over the speed limit.
I coast.
No front plate.
Wrong County sticker on my plate.
Some states won't even let you use a clear plate cover, I have one.
I think in some states, it's even illegal to install anything in front of your windshield that can obstruct your view.

I guess that makes me a real "OUTLAW".

Last edited by +fireamx; 11-14-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:36 AM

My God Man, How do you live with yourself!!!

Quick Reply: Tips for driving a manual in a crossfire