Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Newb question: removing the hood latch

Old 03-31-2011, 09:51 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb question: removing the hood latch

I'm not quite a newb around here, but still have what could be considered a silly question. So I'm hoping the answer will be easy to find!

I'm in the process of replacing my hood and I'm sort stuck on the tool I need to remove the portion of the latch that's attached to the hood. I've used metric and standard hex keys and even tried a triple square, but none of those fit in the weird looking 6 point bolts holding the latch to the hood. So does anyone know the size and type of tool I need to remove the latch?

Old 03-31-2011, 11:05 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Re: Newb question: removing the hood latch

Originally Posted by AllEuro
I'm not quite a newb around here, but still have what could be considered a silly question. So I'm hoping the answer will be easy to find!

I'm in the process of replacing my hood and I'm sort stuck on the tool I need to remove the portion of the latch that's attached to the hood. I've used metric and standard hex keys and even tried a triple square, but none of those fit in the weird looking 6 point bolts holding the latch to the hood. So does anyone know the size and type of tool I need to remove the latch?
Try a Torx T-45, fits mine.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:11 PM

You should be able to pick up an inexpensive short set of Torx for under $15 at maybe an O'Rileys Auto or if you dont want a hole set you can buy them individually at a comprehenssive tool store.
You really need a full set to do much on this car being it is full of Torx head machine screws.
Mike

Old 03-31-2011, 11:21 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks guys, that's very helpful info. And yeah, having a full set of torx bits would definitely be usefull. Then again, I'd love to have a full air setup and a lift as well, but there's only so much my wallet and apt garage can handle!

If I can get a good price on a set of torx bits tomorrow I'll pick them up otherwise, I'll just try to get a T-45 top get through the current project.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I buy alot of my tools at Harbor freight in store or on line you get a great deal & alot of magazines have 20 percent off coupon in them !!!!

Old 04-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Mahoney
I buy alot of my tools at Harbor freight in store or on line you get a great deal & alot of magazines have 20 percent off coupon in them !!!!
was going to be my suggestion as well. Their tools are inexpensive, and necessary if you are going to do it yourself.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Mahoney
More money to China.
Buy quality not quantity, especially if you are young.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Harbor Freight has some decent cheap electrical stuff (it all comes from China these days), but I would not trust their tools. Pot metal. Unfortunately, the set of 5 Torx I picked up from Autozone also turned out to be made in...China. I'm afraid even Sears, my preferred vendor, is also sourcing a lot of tools from China because we just don't want to spend $30 for a set and prefer to spend $10. In addition to Torx drivers you'll also need a set of internal star sockets for the bolt heads.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:30 PM

I agree. I have bought tools for years from many different places. I used to be an only craftsman person but I buy from harbor freight a lot now. I find tools break about the same at either. Sears better about return but harbor freight about 1/4 the cost. Personally working on a great deal German car, I don't see the need to buy only american. IMHO