Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

horror stories about ecu tune wanted

Old 11-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default horror stories about ecu tune wanted

Before I get into modding I'm a little nervous. I used to drive a 2.3l focus hatchback and poured every penny into modding. I ordered a tune from focus sport, now fswerks, a branch of eurosport who is a big supplier for audi/ vw aftermarket parts installed through a diablosport sct xcal3 programmer. One of the adjustments it made was aggressive shifting at WOT for the automatic. Which caused all sorts of hell. Missing gears, etc needed the trans rebuilt. Not sure if this problem was because of the tune or 200ish hp going through a stock transmission designed for a 130 hp car but it started after the tune. Sold the car before I could find out. Just wondering who our best companies are for aftermarket parts, similar hell anyone has dealt with with any kind of modding with our cars, etc. First mod I was thinking is dcai and a bigger tb then a tune. Have also heard its a burden "relearning" to drive a manual with the acceleration gains of a bigger throttle. Sorry my sentences are all overlapping and mixed together. Thank you dislexia. But any warnings about modding before I start would be great.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Re: horror stories about ecu tune wanted

Originally Posted by zx3speed
Before I get into modding I'm a little nervous. I used to drive a 2.3l focus hatchback and poured every penny into modding. I ordered a tune from focus sport, now fswerks, a branch of eurosport who is a big supplier for audi/ vw aftermarket parts installed through a diablosport sct xcal3 programmer. One of the adjustments it made was aggressive shifting at WOT for the automatic. Which caused all sorts of hell. Missing gears, etc needed the trans rebuilt. Not sure if this problem was because of the tune or 200ish hp going through a stock transmission designed for a 130 hp car but it started after the tune. Sold the car before I could find out. Just wondering who our best companies are for aftermarket parts, similar hell anyone has dealt with with any kind of modding with our cars, etc. First mod I was thinking is dcai and a bigger tb then a tune. Have also heard its a burden "relearning" to drive a manual with the acceleration gains of a bigger throttle. Sorry my sentences are all overlapping and mixed together. Thank you dislexia. But any warnings about modding before I start would be great.
Sorry no horror stories as this is not the twilight zone just yet.

My thoughts are that the DCAI is overkill on the na Crossfire, save the money for something else.
I did the following thread after I added the mods to my na. Take away the Mercedes engine cover, filters and inlet tubes, add a single cold air intake in their place and add the TB etc, remove the baffles from the MAF elbow and get a EuroCharged tune and you are done. Go for it.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One time I brought my car to a guy to have it tuned and he accidentallly the whole thing.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by downwardspiral
One time I brought my car to a guy to have it tuned and he accidentallly the whole thing.
Hmmmmm!
Maybe we will never know.

A guy up the road was tuning a VW with performance parts and the car went up in flames. OUCH.

It was not his, he does it for a living. Try and explain that to the customer.

Being a good neighbor I emailed him the photos and told him he would find it funny in a few years even though we thought it was funny then. He has not spoken to me since, I think he inhaled too much smoke and it damaged his brain.

At least he got his driveway paved and a new garage door out of it.

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-05-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:46 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

180.....you're on a roll tonight.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, before getting a tune get a wide band so you know what's going on. I did. My first tune was real rich. 10's. The retune was too lean for comfort .... well, in my opinion anyway. 13's. The third and current tune is on the safe and rich side but I feel better being rich than lean. 11.8 more or less. A remote tune is a guess so get the tools to know the results first.

Les

Old 11-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Received 385 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Sorry no horror stories as this is not the twilight zone just yet.

My thoughts are that the DCAI is overkill on the na Crossfire, save the money for something else.
I did the following thread after I added the mods to my na. Take away the Mercedes engine cover, filters and inlet tubes, add a single cold air intake in their place and add the TB etc, remove the baffles from the MAF elbow and get a EuroCharged tune and you are done. Go for it.
When you do the baffles on the elbow after the MAF, remember to aslo descreen the MAF as well!