Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Electrical gremlins need help.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical gremlins need help.

My car has started acting very strange. Did a search and didn't find anything that sounded similar. I have a bulb out light and my brake lights are on constantly. It also likes to continue running if i leave the lights on even with the key out of the dash. You can imagine my surprise the first time that happened. Just wondering if this is a failing battery or something bigger. Any help is appreciated. Wasnf sure where to put this so if the mods want to move it thats fine.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:20 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Electrical gremlins need help.

Fix the bulb that is out and see what happens. One of the first warning of a weak battery is your rear spoiler will go up when you start the car. I have read on the MB forums that brake light switches can fail. but in those cases the brake light usually won't come on. Otherwise could be a short which is no fun to trace. However, most shorts are at connections.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:42 PM

All the lights work thats the thing. Brake lights are constantly illuminated thats the only weird thing. I should mention that i do have an HID kit installed but haven't had any issues with it. This all started happening within the last week HIDs have been on for over a year. The running with no key bothers me the most. I was hoping it was the battery.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:49 PM
Received 560 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by cmac
All the lights work thats the thing. Brake lights are constantly illuminated thats the only weird thing. I should mention that i do have an HID kit installed but haven't had any issues with it. This all started happening within the last week HIDs have been on for over a year. The running with no key bothers me the most. I was hoping it was the battery.
My guess is the problem of the run on is in the ignition switch somewhere and the contact is not broken with the switch turned to 'OFF'.

There was a post within the last day where replacing two bulbs fixed the brake light situation.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...or-lights.html

Old 12-29-2011, 12:59 PM

I replaced both brake bulbs and the run on stops when i turn the lights off. So i think its a seperate issue. I could replace all the bulbs. I just need to slowly check one thing at a time. Which starts with the battery seeing as it appears to be OEM and the car is almlst 7 years old. As far as the spoiler goes i always have it up so i'll put it down and restart the car and see what happens.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:06 PM

Weird things happen when the battery gets weak. At 7 years you are living on borrowed time. The stock battery has a white top which is no longer produced.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:22 PM

Again i can't speak to the battery being original but i havent put one in. I was just looking to see if anyone knew so i didnt spend a ton on replacing a bunch of different parts.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
Weird things happen when the battery gets weak. At 7 years you are living on borrowed time. The stock battery has a white top which is no longer produced.
I think you will find this white battery is still available in Europe where it was made. Varta is a Johnson Controls subsidiary. Interstate (Johnson Controls) made an almost identical white battery here (NA) at one time, maybe they still do.

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-29-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I think you will find this white battery is still available in Europe where it was made. Varta is a Johnson Controls subsidiary. Interstate (Johnson Controls) made an almost identical white battery here (NA) at one time, maybe they still do.
When I replace mine, I wanted to keep an OEM look under the hood and tried to buy the white one at the dealer. They told me no longer available and they they are now black top. I wasn't so hung up on orginality to try to buy one in Europe!

Old 12-29-2011, 01:58 PM

Again i can't speak to the battery being original but i havent put one in. I was just looking to see if anyone knew so i didnt spend a ton on replacing a bunch of different parts.
Did you try to start the car with the wing down? You can also go to an autoparts store and have them check the battery. You want to see close to 13 volts with engine off. Mine usually shows 12.9 - 13.2 If you see 12.0 volts you need a battery. I also wonder if you have a bad brake light switch? Jiggling the brake make any difference?

Old 12-29-2011, 03:34 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
Oh..like mine (white top) with the spoiler up in the air..that went up when I first started it one morning.. but the ABS/ESP light came on with it. Going on about 2 months now..only issues I've had..cranks over on time..in time..every time.. "could my battery cause the brake situation"? And it has been in the back of my mind to throw some bucks at her for a new one just to be safe. My OEM Harley battery lived for 9 years without so much as a battery tender.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:06 PM

Ok the wing doesn't move regardless of position when the car is started. I am however getting a rather worrying loud buzzing from the box to the left of the motor with the bundle of snakes in it. The box directly to the right of the battery. Its not the noise my ballasts are emitting either.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:08 PM

Even if my brake switch is stuck for the lights that still doesn't explain the car running with no key in it.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:13 PM

Ok the wing doesn't move regardless of position when the car is started. I am however getting a rather worrying loud buzzing from the box to the left of the motor with the bundle of snakes in it. The box directly to the right of the battery. Its not the noise my ballasts are emitting either.
That's where the RCM resides. A user just posted about a relay spring being broke. Might be worth looking into.. no spring to open relay when key is turned off? Just do a search on RCM Mystery..

Old 01-01-2012, 09:14 PM

OK as far as I can tell its not the RCM as it looks to be in pretty good condition. The buzzing I was hearing also seems to be coming from the small fan within that housing for the RCM or the box of snakes as I like to call it. You guys take a look at the pictures and tell me if I'm missing anything. Still haven't checked the battery or anything else just yet.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:04 PM

Battery also checked out so its going to be a wild goose chase. Thanks for any help you guys already given as well as anything that anyone might add.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:18 PM

I did read a post about a users wing being stuck.. accessed the motor and lowered using an allen wrench.. and the issue didn't re-occur..

Old 01-04-2012, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
I did read a post about a users wing being stuck.. accessed the motor and lowered using an allen wrench.. and the issue didn't re-occur..
From all his posts I get the message that his wing has no problem at all.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:36 PM

Guess I mis-read.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:43 PM

Wing works fine RCM looks fine battery is charged. Meant that the wing doesnt do anything but stay in whichever position i left it. It still works as per usual. Easy to misenterpret looking back.

Last edited by cmac; 01-04-2012 at 10:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Electrical gremlins need help.