Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Help! Spoiler deployed, won't retract

Old 01-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Spoiler deployed, won't retract

I tried everything I've seen in other posts on this problem to no avail. In my case, everything else seems to be fine, but the manual switch for the spoiler only rocks UP. I wasn't sure, except for posts on this forum, that the switch also should rock to the down position.

I'm a lead-footed manual trans loving girly-girl and not much good under a hood, but I'd appreciate your opinions so I seem not so clueless when I take it to my mechanic. I've only owned the car for a couple of weeks but the spoiler has deployed and retracted beautifully dozens of times. I just got home from a roadtrip to Arizona and, although the car performed like a champ, when I left the freeway a mile from home, the spoiler did not retract. I've had it past 60 a half dozen times and when I slow, it doesn't retract. I've tried putting the top down and trying the spoiler button, no retraction. Any suggestions that I can try or suggestions for my mechanic to cut down on his time? Thanks so very much for your suggestions.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Help! Spoiler deployed, won't retract

buy new battery.
you can deploy it manually with a small tiny tool.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How old is your battery? Sometimes the spoiler is the first thing to go wacky when a new battery is necessary.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:13 PM
Received 546 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by +fireamx
How old is your battery? Sometimes the spoiler is the first thing to go wacky when a new battery is necessary.
I doubt that the battery is at fault as the alternator should be providing the juice to keep it working at 40mph.
Probably jammed, fuse out, motor shot or ??

Old 01-12-2012, 04:17 PM

The care has under 26k so the battery is probably original. I'll check. I've had no reason to believe the battery might be getting weak. I understand that, if the battery is disconnected, some things may have to be reset. Can anyone tell me what they might be? FABU, thanks. The spoiler IS deployed. Can I use a small tool to manually retract it? Could you tell me where and how? I know I'm asking a lot. Thanks for your patience.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:24 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

180 is correct, it could be the fuse. It's in the fuse box directly in front of driver. What year is your car?

Old 01-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

It could be a number of things, these are only guesses.

1)First make sure that all your fuses that are needed for the wing are good.

2)The motor could be bad and won't turn. I am curious if on a roadster you can access the motor once you remove the trunk lid liner? If so, maybe it needs to have a gentle tap to see if it works a few more times.

3)Possibly the "down limit" switch in the assembly is stuck closed and won't allow it to go down, making the BCM think it is already down.

4)Defective BCM Body Control Module that relays the message for the wing to go down or up.

5)Defective switch on dash. Switch contacts could be stcuk closed to make the BCM think you want the wing up always. Does the switch feel normal when using it?

James

Old 01-12-2012, 04:25 PM

It's 2005.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:29 PM

Thanks, James. No, the switch moves only UP. It is stuck in the downward position.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:46 PM

I would recommend fixing the obvious first. The switch circuit does not work like a normal one. It is very possible the switch is giving you the trouble.

James

Old 01-12-2012, 05:23 PM

That sounds quite logical to this Vulcan, James. I'll do that! Thanks

Old 01-12-2012, 08:05 PM

Print this page out for your mechanic. If the switch is broke, and sending 5volts back to the BCM, then that is holding up your wing. By disconnecting it, the wing should go back to automatic operation.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
diagram.jpg (28.0 KB, 423 views)

Last edited by James1549; 01-12-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:20 PM

Thanks, James! It's printed and I'll let you know if that does the trick. Thanks to everyone for your input. I'm really loving this car. I'd forgotten how much fun a stick can be!

Old 12-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue as this Member. What corrected the problem? The red LED is blinking on the spoiler control switch. It does operate okay using the Manual Switch. Its goes down, and pops right back up again. My situation is identical to another member too, I had my car painted and now the Spoiler won't stay down. The Spoiler Switch is stuck in the Up Position. I have replaced fuses, but the Spoiler Switch won't rock back and forth. My car is 2005. The battery was replaced in May 2010. Any new suggestions? BTW, my Username is FinUp, but I TRULY don't want it to stay that way !!! Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
Matticmass (11-20-2022)
Old 12-16-2012, 10:14 PM
Received 546 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by FinUp
....................... but the Spoiler Switch won't rock back and forth.
Maybe that's the problem - bad switch.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:20 PM

I have the same issue as this Member. What corrected the problem?
That is the one issue I see on this forum. Suggestions are always made by the regulars here, but many times it is never reported back what corrected the problem to help the next member.

Old 11-20-2022, 08:48 PM

I have the same issue as this Member. What corrected the problem? The red LED is blinking on the spoiler control switch. It does operate okay using the Manual Switch. Its goes down, and pops right back up again. My situation is identical to another member too, I had my car painted and now the Spoiler won't stay down. The Spoiler Switch is stuck in the Up Position. I have replaced fuses, but the Spoiler Switch won't rock back and forth. My car is 2005. The battery was replaced in May 2010. Any new suggestions? BTW, my Username is FinUp, but I TRULY don't want it to stay that way !!! Thanks.

I have the same issue and can’t seem to find a resolution. It will deploy at 65mph but won’t retract. The light will flash. If I turn the car off the back on I can step it down with the manual switch. Once retracted I have to count 3 seconds then press the down switch again to lock it in position. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-21-2022, 09:29 AM
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts

Matticmass
How old is your battery? These cars are very sensitive to voltage changes and one of the first signs of a bad battery is the deployment of the wing on non-SRT6 wings. This matter has been discussed by numerous newbies. Please use the SEARCH button at the top of the main page and insert your topic, you'll find a wealth of information discussed in the past 18 years.
Dennis
DTMenace

Old 11-21-2022, 11:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matticmass
I have the same issue and can’t seem to find a resolution. It will deploy at 65mph but won’t retract. The light will flash. If I turn the car off the back on I can step it down with the manual switch. Once retracted I have to count 3 seconds then press the down switch again to lock it in position. Any help would be appreciated.
I had a reply to my original post to tell me to clean the fin. Even though it looked very clean, I did clean it thoroughly and it worked fine again. I sold my Crossfire a year ago, but enjoyed it when I had it. It always turned heads and started conversations. Hope this helps.

Old 11-21-2022, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by DTMenace
Matticmass
How old is your battery? These cars are very sensitive to voltage changes and one of the first signs of a bad battery is the deployment of the wing on non-SRT6 wings. This matter has been discussed by numerous newbies. Please use the SEARCH button at the top of the main page and insert your topic, you'll find a wealth of information discussed in the past 18 years.
Dennis
DTMenace
the battery is almost a month old. I’ve read through the forums extensively, and I find it very informative. But this has me at a loss. I should state that before replacing the spoiler motor the fuse for the bcm kept blowing. The short was caused by the ecu housing cooling fan. That fan is currently disconnected from the system. All other features that the bcm control are back online.

Quick Reply: Help! Spoiler deployed, won't retract