Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Transmission Rebuild or Replacement :(

Old 05-09-2012, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Rebuild or Replacement :(

Preface: I have a 5 speed Manu-matic

My crossfire has been lunging irregularly during shifts, making a muffled grinding noise at times and jumping from 1500 RPMs to 3000 RPMs with barely any movement as I tried to accelerate from a stop light.
So...
...I took my baby in to get checked up at Mr. Transmission. Found out the forward clutch was cracked and that messed with the planetary assembly. Was told I would have to replace the converter and over haul as well. (Face palming as I'm hearing this)

Cost to rebuild a transmission came out to $5113.80 (parts and labor). Ridiculous! I know!

I looked online and found rebuilt transmissions for $719.99
Used 2005 CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE Transmission A.T., exc. SRT6 - Woodfins Guaranteed Used Auto Parts

...and another for $2,190.99
TRANS SPECIALTIES : CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE REBUILT TRANSMISSION 2004-UP W5A580 Remanufactured and rebuilt automatic transmissions, transmission parts and torque converters

I called The Chrysler-Dodge dealer in Columbus, GA and they suggested to just replace the transmission rather than rebuild. Labor to install a transmission if I brought one in was estimated to be $1000.00 or less. Total cost to replace if I brought the $719.19 in would be
estimated $1800.00.

Father asked a mechanic he used (who has worked on multiple crossfires as well as used to own one); He suggested to find a vehicle with low miles with an intact transmission in a junk yard since rebuilds might be put together funny and with a junk yard one you know it worked at one time rather than one that had to be remade to do so.
Called a junk yard with two 05 manu-matic crossfires - found intact one for $650.00
And fathers mechanic said he would do the labor for $200 to $300
The caveat is he's located in Florida (I'm in Alabama).
To rent auto transpo uhaul is $55 + $60 gas = $115
Estimated total cost of this route is $1065 (+/- $100)
About $4000 cheaper.

This is where I'm at right now. Next move is to ask how much it would cost for Mr. Transmission to just install a transmission since they already have it at their place to see if it would just be worth having them replace it.

Opinions, Suggestions, Advice, Jokes, Constructive criticisms?

Last edited by Lee337; 05-09-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Re: Transmission Rebuild or Replacement :(

Looks like you've done your homework. Only part of your post that didn't make sense was taking the car back to Mr. Rip-off. Good luck!

Old 05-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
Looks like you've done your homework. Only part of your post that didn't make sense was taking the car back to Mr. Rip-off. Good luck!
+1 ^^^^

So what you are saying is that they did not manage to screw you the first time so you will give them a second chance.

This one saw you coming and now you are going back?

I'll bet that they'll want storage fees.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

I would get it moved out of the shop without a doubt and haul it to your mechanic. James

Old 05-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

find a local repair shop to put the tranny in you buy from the junk yard. They are around, just have to look for them. Find some local gearheads around town, and ask who they would recommend. When one name keeps popping up, that's your guy. If you can't do that, rent the u-haul....

Old 05-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

Do it yourself.

How hard could it be ?

I tackled a TH400 auto in my old suburban in my garage with NO prior experience and came out fine.
I bought one of those scissor transmission jacks from Northern Tool for about $60 and did it ALONE with no help at all.

The key is getting the car up on stands high enough to allow you to slide the old one out and the new one in.

( O, and it helps to have adequate tools and proper fluid on hand before you start )

Old 05-09-2012, 10:16 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ask our friends at Franklin Automotive or maybe CT Automotive. I trust them both, and mention I sent you?

Good luck, bud!

Old 05-09-2012, 11:52 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are at all mechanically inclined the transmission can be removed and installed in 4 to 6 hrs and is not extremely difficult to do on these crossfires. Good luck either way .........stay clear of the rip offs....best to ask the time they estimate involved and go from there. If the shop/mechanic knows his stuff it shouldn't be an arm and a leg to R&R the transmission.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:31 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
+1 ^^^^

So what you are saying is that they did not manage to screw you the first time so you will give them a second chance.

This one saw you coming and now you are going back?

I'll bet that they'll want storage fees.
They may be ordering in a 55 gal drum of Vasoline and sending out invitations to friends ... Didn't see where he mentioned the bill for the diagnostics .. don't think too many places offer free estimates and go in and see whats wrong..

Old 05-11-2012, 12:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a garage nor really any place to work with it living in an apartment complex.

I found out the mechanic my dad suggested works out of his truck. He has a large truck with lights, wenches and gizmoes to work on cars in their parking lot. His rate is worth it but I don't know how I feel about a 'out of truck' mechanic installation of a transmission.

I guess since he has worked on them before and that It doesn't sound like a transmission installation is as hard as Mr. Transmission makes it out to be that I should be too worried.

Thanks Max, I'll definitely give them a call them tomorrow for a quote.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:32 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How many miles on the car?

Has it been raced a lot?