Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Xfire frustration.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xfire frustration.

I bought this car a few years back because I absolutely loved everything about them. Unfortunately I could only afford the N/A auto version. Now that im a little bit older and getting very involved with the local racing scene, im tired of being had by these little boosted imports on every run. Its time to make a splash with the xfire.

Unfortunately after hours and hours online, I cant find much of anything in the way of performance parts. This will be my first real tune/build. I have friends local that are on their 2nd-3rd build so expertise wont be a problem. I just need help with a build plan. Im looking to reach the 400whp mark reliably. Get new tires/rims (18in) lower the car and throw in some safety equipment.

Thank you in advance.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Xfire frustration.

Keep your existing rims and get lowered springs.
Mine has lowered springs, on original suspension parts.... drives like its on rails.
Re the engine, sounds like youre in the right crowd to do reworks....
Its a fab engine with truck loads of torque..... the SRT is the 300hp lump and im unsure why i isnt reworked for more power..... for some reason the guys rave over a mod for 30 hp more increase.....when any other engine you could grab 70hp more......
Im insure why we cannot tune more from this 3.2 litre engine.....
Maybe simply run it on Nitro Methane and put a NOs kit on it.... maybe this is the answer ha ha.
GB

Old 07-08-2012, 01:11 PM

enjoy it for the quick car it is no matter what you do to it it's never gonna be a land rocket even if you get an srt6 unless you plan on doing some serious work and spending serious money, if you want more power then the n/a offers get an srt6 or jump in on the begi turbo project...as for NOS i myself and a couple other guys have it on the forum it's only gonna get you to about 13.5 or so at best in an n/a your gonna need to supercharge or turbocharge your car if you want 400 whp...

Last edited by xfireon20z; 07-08-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Theres your answer SoulDaddy.
The last mail seams to hold the facts....
Ive not come across any thing to seriously hop up this engine either.

Another route maybe to shovel a Chevvy Block into it ??
As for me, the size and weight of my standard XF is just right for a thrill each day on the way to and from work..... and it doesnt break the bank either to run her...
Maybe you need to look at a Japanese...maybe a 350z and play with that...
Or maybe a Skyline or that ilk with do the quarter in 10 for you...
Pays your money and makes your choice .....
Regards
GB

UOTE=xfireon20z;682860]enjoy it for the quick car it is no matter what you do to it it's never gonna be a land rocket even if you get an srt6 unless you plan on doing some serious work and spending serious money, if you want more power then the n/a offers get an srt6 or jump in on the begi turbo project...as for NOS i myself and a couple other guys have it on the forum it's only gonna get you to about 13.5 or so at best in an n/a your gonna need to supercharge or turbocharge your car if you want 400 whp...[/QUOTE]

Old 07-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Then there is always the MB V8 option, several members here have gone that route ....

Old 07-08-2012, 05:03 PM

As one who hangs out in the SRT section, the larger problems come after modding the engine.
Mainly getting the car to hook up and things breaking.

If I were you, I'ld mod the engine to 265hp and enjoy it. The serious tuners are going to beat you no matter what you do.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:19 PM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I know, you'll never get near 400 hp with a NA without dumping in a V8 or with serious amount of cash.

A NA can be moded up to 270 or higher without breaking the bank but I'm with others on here, I'd suggest starting with an SRT or getting a different car. I think for about a grand you could add another 30 to 40 hp with some Needswings dual CAI and a tune. Certainly can get more with other mods but then you start getting into more money and dimenishing hp benefits......

Anyway, good luck. The rice rockets can be tough, but I still prefer my XFire for many other reasons.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:22 PM

i think most of these posts i read about being unhappy with the performance of the n/a is based on perception people have when they go to buy this car thinking it looks fast or its exotic looking so it must be fast...it really all depends on the persons perception of what fast is, some people think 200 HP is fast and then on the other side of the spectrum people think 500 HP is fast just me .02 cents...

Old 07-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, I didn't look at your age, but as an old guy, if I had it to do over again...I would have my daily driver, and buy me something else for the weekends. I am old now and just enjoy what I have, even though I am finding more ways to gain more horses. So, pick yourself up a hot rod, meaning find something you enjoy to strip to the bare bones and make a street racer out of it. If you want to mod what you have it will cost you about $3500.00 by the time you get the turbo kit installed...then you have to worry about breaking the drive trane. So now you are putting a grand in the rearend... Fast isn't cheap with these cars, where other makes have plenty of bolt on hp....good luck with your choices...

Old 07-09-2012, 01:34 AM

if you have the time and money get your hands on a Vortech V-5, AEM EMS, and a good fab shop. set it at like 7-8lbs, it should put you around 350 and make for a smiley good time. my main issue with some crossfire guys is that they are exactly that "crossfire guys" instead of car guys. it seems that people are afraid to think outside the box with things. Its an engine just like any other, slap a supercharger or a turbo on it with a standalone and it will go like hell.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:13 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EGPhoto
if you have the time and money get your hands on a Vortech V-5, AEM EMS, and a good fab shop. set it at like 7-8lbs, it should put you around 350 and make for a smiley good time. my main issue with some crossfire guys is that they are exactly that "crossfire guys" instead of car guys. it seems that people are afraid to think outside the box with things. Its an engine just like any other, slap a supercharger or a turbo on it with a standalone and it will go like hell.
Ok that was good !!! LOL There are alot car guys here !!!! To slap force air on a NA is not that easy , ask Corky Bell ! and if were that easy it would have been done a long time ago ,

Old 07-09-2012, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Osofast2
Ok that was good !!! LOL There are alot car guys here !!!! To slap force air on a NA is not that easy , ask Corky Bell ! and if were that easy it would have been done a long time ago ,
actually it IS that easy, what corky bell is doing is trying to mass produce a product which takes a substantial amount of time. with access to the a good fab shop anything can be put together. and that is the mentality I'm talking about, waiting for someone else to do it. Go get your hands dirty and do it your self. come income tax time my coupe is getting a Vortech. people seem to forget that this a car, just like any other car, its made out of metal, bolts and screws...just like every other car. I think people are too scared to break a precious car or get their hands dirty.

and a PERFECT example is when i caught **** from a member when i asked if anyone had seriously lowered their cars. the answer i got was "DUDE search around a ton of people have lowering springs" ......i almost **** my pants when i got that response. i want to see someone besides corky or the rotrex guy grow some ***** and put in some wrench and fab work on this car. As soon as the funds permit I'm going bananas with it.

Last edited by EGPhoto; 07-09-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:31 PM

You're driving the wrong car to the track. Crossfires are road cars, not 1/4 mile cars, and you will never be able to beat the serious ricers even with a modified SRT.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:59 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

actually it IS that easy, what corky bell is doing is trying to mass produce a product which takes a substantial amount of time. with access to the a good fab shop anything can be put together. and that is the mentality I'm talking about, waiting for someone else to do it. Go get your hands dirty and do it your self. come income tax time my coupe is getting a Vortech. people seem to forget that this a car, just like any other car, its made out of metal, bolts and screws...just like every other car. I think people are too scared to break a precious car or get their hands dirty.

and a PERFECT example is when i caught **** from a member when i asked if anyone had seriously lowered their cars. the answer i got was "DUDE search around a ton of people have lowering springs" ......i almost **** my pants when i got that response. i want to see someone besides corky or the rotrex guy grow some ***** and put in some wrench and fab work on this car. As soon as the funds permit I'm going bananas with it.
By all means, grow your ***** (after you grow your money) and impress us all with your knowledge. I'll grab the popcorn. And then I'll still gladly line up with you.

We have had numerous (very knowledgeable) guys attempt to turbo these cars with nothing but headaches. But I'm sure you can buy a generic kit and a piggyback and make Corky look like an amateur, since I'm assuming your wrenching ability is inversely proportional to your people skills.

As for the Crossfire guys not being "car guys"... I'm sure you and your eight posts have spent lots of time getting to know the forum members. We gave you a "go search" answer not because we don't know what we're doing, but rather because no one wants to invest their time on answering the same question 50 times in a row. And especially to grateful know-it-alls like yourself.

While we're growing *****, I'd like for you to go ahead and set a tentative completion date? You said "come income tax time" so I'm guessing you're too broke to play until you can cash in from your S-0 status on the 1040 next year... Personally, I don't like letting the gov't use my money interest free, but to each his own.

Until then, lurk more. You'd be amazed at what you can learn. We have drag racers, road racers, and even show-only guys that have blazed the paths you claim haven't even been attempted.

Cheers,

Old 07-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

i want to see someone besides corky or the rotrex guy grow some ***** and put in some wrench and fab work on this car.
This is an idiotic statement if I have EVER heard one on this forum. Maybe Rudy will read this and have something to say - once he picks himself up off the floor in laughter.

Lurk moar. Type less.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:16 PM

Oh I only have 8 posts, god forbid I have a life outside of the Internet. And as far as the statement about my finances, think what you want. I'm sure I make just as much as everyone else here. Time will tell, I stand by my statement

Old 07-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh I am subscribing, this should be good.

So when is the project going to be complete and running?

Old 07-09-2012, 01:44 PM

Factoring in the holidays and my travel schedule I'd say I will get started late january before race season starts, so done by like mid feb before I start traveling again

Old 07-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh I only have 8 posts, god forbid I have a life outside of the Internet. And as far as the statement about my finances, think what you want. I'm sure I make just as much as everyone else here. Time will tell, I stand by my statement
If you did, you wouldn't have to wait until tax season. Just a thought

I didn't pry into your finances, you volunteered your situation after you told us we were scared to get our pretty little hands dirty.

Post counts don't determine the respect someone receives, but their respect (or lack thereof) of other long-standing members certainly does.

Moving forward, we can all bank on you having a completed Vortech-blown Crossfire by February/March?

Noted.

Cheers,

Old 07-09-2012, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by JHM2K
If you did, you wouldn't have to wait until tax season. Just a thought

I didn't pry into your finances, you volunteered your situation after you told us we were scared to get our pretty little hands dirty.

Post counts don't determine the respect someone receives, but their respect (or lack thereof) of other long-standing members certainly does.

Moving forward, we can all bank on you having a completed Vortech-blown Crossfire by February/March?

Noted.

Cheers,
Since your such a know it all, you would know that tax season happens to be free time for me being as I travel a substansial amount which does not allow me time. But yes Feb/March

Quick Reply: Xfire frustration.