Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

rarest color combo

Old 06-28-2019, 01:42 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts
Default Re: rarest color combo

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
Perhaps I am mistaken about the term Machine grey.

There was a color one might call "gun metal blue." Like machine grey but with a blue tone. It was to that color I was referring. My body guy tells me it takes six layers of different paints to achieve.

Yes we do have a St Louis member with a gold roadster and Tuxedo seats. Susan and Mike. Their last names escape me.
My 2007 Coupe is Machine Gray and it does have a "bluish" hue to it. And it doesn't take a custom-like paint job to achieve. I buy the color from Automotive Touchup as a direct match.

The Graphite Gray color in 2004 - 2005 was somewhat like a "gum metal" gray back in the "good old days". Put cars of these colors side-by-side and there is a distinct difference in the hues. Graphite Gray is a traditional "gray-looking" car; Machine Gray looks sort of "steel blue", which Chrysler actually called a color they offered on the PT Cruiser. I don't think the Crossfire color & the PT Cruiser color are the same, but they are close. Machine Gray definitely has some blue-like metallic in it.

If you look over the MOPAR color chart attached, it clearly shows the distinction between the 2 grays offered on the Crossfire.

I can still see that Oyster Gold Roadster with the Tuxedo interior. Attached picture will let everyone else see it. I remember because it was the 1st Crossfire I saw with the Tuxedo interior & the Dark Gray steering wheel. Can't remember whether he changed it out or it was a 2008 car, which came that way.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 06-29-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:25 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
Can't recall ever seeing a Machine Gray XFire with the Dark Gray/Canyon Red interior. That would be rare. Might have been a 2008 model since Chrysler was installing the "salmon" 2-tone interior in a lot of the cars produced near the end of production.
How many shades of the red interior are there? I thought there was only one, but you use the terms "Canyon Red" and "salmon" and it is also called Cedar. All all of these the same shade?

Old 08-18-2019, 11:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have a 05 yellow roadster with a black interior and loaded. Looked a long time to find it. Brought it back from Arizona in May. We have the original dealers window sticker from when it was delivered to the dealer.Optional Equipment: Classic Yellow Pearl Coat Paint $150. You had to pay extra for it and it only came on the roadster. That is one of the reasons it is an "uncommon", maybe rare color. All numbers match and fully documented. Had PPG touch up paint mixed up from VIN and it was a perfect match.

Old 10-23-2019, 02:15 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

When I was out looking to test drive Crossfires in fall 2004, all three dealers I visited here in SW MI had yellow roadsters on the lot. It was like Chrysler sent them out to draw in customers. No offense, but the yellow is a boring color and since I had the option of ordering my XF, I went with graphite gray and the two-tone gray interior. Shined up, it is impressive with it's flake gun metal finish. I agree that the machine gray, with a flake blue-gray finish, is possibly prettier. I bought one of those for my son in 2008 and he drove it through college, then abandoned it back to me a few years ago when he went overseas. Even though he is back, he has not asked for the car (?!?). So I drove it part of last summer and my youngest daughter drove it this summer. But no one drives the graphites except me!

Old 10-23-2019, 05:09 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI...The cream yellow color is a HERITAGE color. It goes back to the LeBarron coach builders. Their most expensive builds were always cream yellow. A 1934 Packard bodied by LeBarron sold a few years ago for $5.4 million.
Went through this on the Maserati T/C. Mr Iaccoca would not let the car be built without the LeBarron cream yellow as a choice. Not my favorite either ,but the Packard is one of most impressive cars I've seen in 58 years.

Old 03-27-2021, 03:48 PM
Forum Regular
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
My 2007 Coupe is Machine Gray and it does have a "bluish" hue to it. And it doesn't take a custom-like paint job to achieve. I buy the color from Automotive Touchup as a direct match.

The Graphite Gray color in 2004 - 2005 was somewhat like a "gum metal" gray back in the "good old days". Put cars of these colors side-by-side and there is a distinct difference in the hues. Graphite Gray is a traditional "gray-looking" car; Machine Gray looks sort of "steel blue", which Chrysler actually called a color they offered on the PT Cruiser. I don't think the Crossfire color & the PT Cruiser color are the same, but they are close. Machine Gray definitely has some blue-like metallic in it.

If you look over the MOPAR color chart attached, it clearly shows the distinction between the 2 grays offered on the Crossfire.

I can still see that Oyster Gold Roadster with the Tuxedo interior. Attached picture will let everyone else see it. I remember because it was the 1st Crossfire I saw with the Tuxedo interior & the Dark Gray steering wheel. Can't remember whether he changed it out or it was a 2008 car, which came that way.

I know this post is about a year and half old but it’s still an interesting thread. I’ve seen both the Graphite and Machine Gray colors mixed and the process to achieve their respected colors. Machine Gray uses a dark blue metallic in the base mixed with a Chrysler Gray. While Graphite Gray uses that same Gray that Machine Gray does it actually uses a dark red metallic mixed in it’s base to achieve its color. Pretty interesting to watch how it happens.
Also on a side note as a couple of you mentioned the Oyster Gold and Tuxedo interior being super rare and a desirable color combo. There’s a couple I believe that live in the same city as I do who are selling an 08’ in that trim. I think it has around 10’000 miles IIRC. It’s either in Edmond OK or OKC,OK. I’ve seen it pop up on Facebook Marketplace every now and then. I don’t know them at all so I’m not trying to make a sale or anything. Just came across this thread and thought I’d share what I’ve seen and know a bit about. 🤙🏼🤙🏼🤙🏼

The following users liked this post:
kas (01-10-2023)
Old 03-30-2021, 11:18 AM

I am toying with selling my third Crossfire, a 2007 Machine Gray coupe with manual transmission, two-tone gray interior. It has 44k miles and is in pretty good shape (purchased with 8500 miles in 2010, garaged during MI winters, and spent 5 years in FL before being shipped back north to MI). No rust, everything works except one running light, a few random dings, and some wheel rash all around). I would prefer for it to go to a Crossfire fanatic rather than someone who will abuse it. I have not done any comparisons yet, but am interested in any possible offers. Email me at jjaiven@gmail.com .

Old 04-01-2021, 10:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Classic yellow is a very "impressive" color , while the graphite grey is a " boring " color---reminds me of the gallons of dark grey primer we shot in the 60's IMHO .

Old 04-04-2021, 07:20 PM

Leroy, fair enough, but I like metallic dark grays. Just bought a Maserati with that color. Cheers.