Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

happy day, i just joined the family :)

Old 08-14-2012, 06:42 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default happy day, i just joined the family :)

Got my xf today , It's a 2005 with 78xxx miles cost started at 9985 my dad did a good job and haggled down to 6070$ out the door , dark grey don't know the Chrysler color coded name
In the 25 miles I drove it home gas milage didn't budge , still above half a tank
Power feels the same generally as it did in my gti except It's quieter
I noticed a slight vibration while idling after a few seconds(I doubt that's normal)
It's hard to see around and a lot harder to parallel park then my gti
There was a little rattle comming from the rear but over all everything is quiet with the windows up
Body is 99% free of blemishes , and the headlights need to be restored because there is 7years of condensation built up , just tried turtle wax brand head light restorer , cleared it up a little but I'm sure there is a better product out there
Over all I'm happy with what i got , just gotta get used to parking and fix the cup holder
Km sure I'm missing something but yea..I can't post pics of it with my phone but when i figure out a way to upload some I'll show you guys

Last edited by Jackerman; 08-14-2012 at 06:46 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: happy day , i just joined the family :)

Contratulations !!! Heck of a good price.....
On the headlights, either the $30 3M kit or the $30 Meguier's Heavy Duty kit.

If there is water INSIDE them, you will need some 100% ethanol,
with the units removed from the car, remove all bulbs and pour in about 2-3 ounces through the little running light hole, swish around a bit, then drain.
Dry them with compressed air, then sit them in the sun for 3-4 hours.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

You've got to upload photos to an album here in your gallery OR post 'em online somewhere and link to them.

Anyway, sounds like Graphite, same as my Roadster. The rattle is fixable, not problem.
These engines make funny sounds, so it may be nothing. The "tick-tick-tick" at idle is the injectors, (so I'm told).
You did good on price for those miles! I mean REALLY good.

If I could find a XF with 78,000 on it for that price, I'd buy it just for parts!

Old 08-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats to you!! i HOPE YOU LOVE YOUR xf HALF AS MUCH AS i DO!

mY rear hatch rattled when I got mine. I found a way to tighten it up and now it is much better.

Happy miles!

DJ

Old 08-14-2012, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jackerman
Got my xf today , It's a 2005 with 78xxx miles .... 6070$ out the door , dark grey..
The more I think about it, the more I hope there is nothing badly wrong with that car.

'cause you STOLE IT with a price like that and those miles.

Someone stuck their head up there behind when they sold that car, like I did when I sold my Red one.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:19 PM

Congrat's.
You can start by putting caps in the doors.
See the "Sticky" in the audio section under "Biggest bang for the buck".
Enjoy the ride.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:30 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Well you've been a hang-a-round enough to know the basics I do believe.. LOL.. Congrats on scoring the ride at a great price!

Guessing you've already checked out the filters on her? Score your spare CPS.. and I'd be almost tempted to reset the computer with a 20 minute battery disconnect...

And don't forget those mirrors! swing them puppies out where you don't see the side of the car.. think there is a thread on them somewhere...

Last edited by Mrmiata; 08-14-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:38 PM
Administrator

If waiting like he did yeilds a Limited Coupe with 78,00 miles for $6K, then in about four months I should find my SRT ROadster with 20,000 miles for $12.5K

Old 08-14-2012, 10:14 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: happy day, i just joined the family :)

I've been in this forum for I would say 6months and I was looking for an xf 4months prior , it took almost a year , took 1 whole year to find my gti it had 42xxx with one owner and private seller sold it For 6200 , later found out it was a salvage vehicle
I think this one was sold so cheap because it 3 owners prior to me so I'm attributing that to the low price tag
I'm thinking that slight vibration may have somethin to do with cps which is the first investment toward the car I will make
I've read way to many horror stories and i know what these cars need commonly so cps and rcm will be taken care of ASAP
Some questions though , how do i lock and unlock the door with out using my fob I don't see a button in here anywhere ?
What does the button on the console that says rest do ? And how do I flash my high beams

@pizzaguy
It's actually the same color as yours which I found out last night was a rarer color

Old 08-14-2012, 10:19 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Well you've been a hang-a-round enough to know the basics I do believe.. LOL.. Congrats on scoring the ride at a great price!

Guessing you've already checked out the filters on her? Score your spare CPS.. and I'd be almost tempted to reset the computer with a 20 minute battery disconnect...

And don't forget those mirrors! swing them puppies out where you don't see the side of the car.. think there is a thread on them somewhere...
Which filters should I check ?
And actually I wanted convex mirrors or mirrors with the blind spot section built in , don't know if those are out there for these

Old 08-14-2012, 11:06 PM

Which filters should I check ?
And actually I wanted convex mirrors or mirrors with the blind spot section built in , don't know if those are out there for these
I'd give the air filters a check.. "gently" pull up at the corners of the engine cover.. I have a tendancy to lean over and take hold both sides at the back and give it a tug up.. then work the front clips. I have seen some post where the little small round mirrors we're used. I finally got my mirrors set to where they are in the passenger side mirror or could just see them in my center rear view..kinda if they are there they will show in one or the other.. and throw in a quick glance out the rear side window..as a final check.

I think it took about a month to finally feel a little relaxed about lane changes.. LOL

Old 08-14-2012, 11:13 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
I'd give the air filters a check.. "gently" pull up at the corners of the engine cover.. I have a tendancy to lean over and take hold both sides at the back and give it a tug up.. then work the front clips. I have seen some post where the little small round mirrors we're used. I finally got my mirrors set to where they are in the passenger side mirror or could just see them in my center rear view..kinda if they are there they will show in one or the other.. and throw in a quick glance out the rear side window..as a final check.

I think it took about a month to finally feel a little relaxed about lane changes.. LOL
I just figured out how to lock the doors from the inside , the button was staring at me the whole time Lol
Would the air filters cause that slight vibration ? Assuming if there in fact dirty
I'm comfortable changing lanes to the left but to the right needs practice..I think I will do a search for new mirrors in a moment

Old 08-14-2012, 11:26 PM

I would say not impossible.. they always run better when they can breathe.. LOL. But by all means make that CPS a priority one.. You can get the exact P/N off several threads..and score one on ebay for around $45.. Mine gave it up around 85K.. and it seemed like she did occasionally idle down to a stop a little rough.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:28 PM
Administrator

What does the button on the console that says rest do ? And how do I flash my high beams

@pizzaguy
It's actually the same color as yours which I found out last night was a rarer color
Graphite is a great color, IMO.

Anyway, "REST" runs the fan on low and runs a small electric pump to circulate water thru the heater core from the engine to give you heat without the engine running.

Pulling back on the lever flashes the brights - but lately I've noticed mine won't flash all the time, switch is getting worn, I believe.

Other things to consider: If it has the original, white, Varta battery - I'd change it. Clean up the battery terminals while you are at it.

I'd replace the CPS and keep the old one in the trunk as a spare.

Take the RCM out and re solder all the joints (unless they look really good).

Do the "Sticky Ignition Key" mod as soon as you can!

You MIGHT run some seafoam thru the car (put a can of it in a full tank of gas, do it maybe two tanks in a row), that stuff is said to clean the injectors. Dirty injectors might be the cause of shaking or rough idle.

Run only 90+ octane gas.

If the engine really rattles, consider an oil change and use one of the 229.3 oils. You MIGHT try one of the thicker oils (5Wxx or 10Wxx) but I'd only use oils on the MB 229.3 list. (MB 229.5 is ok, too - but those are thinner oils, if I was gonna run thin oil, I'd just use Mobile 1 0W40).

Always use fleece oil filters, not paper. One brand is Purolator L25277 (the L25276 is a paper element).
Advance Auto has them for $11.49 or so, NAPA has them, (7078) they are the SAME FILTER but cost is around $17-19.

If neeeded, you can go to our SRT6 section under "cars" and download all the manuals for these cars. I'd suggest you do that, at least get the owner's manual!

Last edited by pizzaguy; 08-14-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:03 AM
Received 388 Likes on 335 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Just two things to add, make shure the replacement CPS is a BOSCH original and second, remember the oil changes are 8+ quarts synthetic! Hope you have a lot of fun with her and see if you can come to your first Tail-Of-The-Dragon in Fontana Dam NC this October!

Old 08-15-2012, 08:28 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Graphite is a great color, IMO.

Anyway, "REST" runs the fan on low and runs a small electric pump to circulate water thru the heater core from the engine to give you heat without the engine running.

Pulling back on the lever flashes the brights - but lately I've noticed mine won't flash all the time, switch is getting worn, I believe.

Other things to consider: If it has the original, white, Varta battery - I'd change it. Clean up the battery terminals while you are at it.

I'd replace the CPS and keep the old one in the trunk as a spare.

Take the RCM out and re solder all the joints (unless they look really good).

Do the "Sticky Ignition Key" mod as soon as you can!

You MIGHT run some seafoam thru the car (put a can of it in a full tank of gas, do it maybe two tanks in a row), that stuff is said to clean the injectors. Dirty injectors might be the cause of shaking or rough idle.

Run only 90+ octane gas.

If the engine really rattles, consider an oil change and use one of the 229.3 oils. You MIGHT try one of the thicker oils (5Wxx or 10Wxx) but I'd only use oils on the MB 229.3 list. (MB 229.5 is ok, too - but those are thinner oils, if I was gonna run thin oil, I'd just use Mobile 1 0W40).

Always use fleece oil filters, not paper. One brand is Purolator L25277 (the L25276 is a paper element).
Advance Auto has them for $11.49 or so, NAPA has them, (7078) they are the SAME FILTER but cost is around $17-19.

If neeeded, you can go to our SRT6 section under "cars" and download all the manuals for these cars. I'd suggest you do that, at least get the owner's manual!
I got confused when you said use 229.3 oils , Idk what that is the next oil change is due at 81k which is 3k from now , I know I need synthetic so i should buy oil at Mercedes-Benz ? One of my friends works at a dodge,jeep Chrysler dealership as a tech but I'm still debating on doing it myself
As for the sticky ignition key I have the feeling that's been fixed, the rubber around the key hole seems to be loose as if some has been there so *knock on wood* that problem has been taken care of
As I'm writing this I'm waiting for my fiance to come outside of her job and someone just came up to me and complimented me on the car and said this will be a classic one day ..my first compliment haha

Old 08-15-2012, 08:34 PM

Get used to the compliments.. LOL.. Just use mobile 1 0-40 european blend and you'll be fine.. available most anywhere.. and can be found on sale occasionally.. sneaking up on another round for me soon..

Old 08-16-2012, 12:39 AM
Forum Regular

How do i activate the "rest" mode ?
My alarm speaker I think maybe broken , sounds like nails on a chalk board..thinkin maybe Its got something to do with the alarm speaker it self ?
And i don't get a sound letting me know the alarm is active upon locking the doors
Is that how the car is supposed to be ?

Old 08-16-2012, 12:48 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Welcome to the forum! Just two things to add, make shure the replacement CPS is a BOSCH original and second, remember the oil changes are 8+ quarts synthetic! Hope you have a lot of fun with her and see if you can come to your first Tail-Of-The-Dragon in Fontana Dam NC this October!
Every time someone mentions replacement of the cps you always make sure to let them know it must be Bosch Lol
8+ quarts ? How many quarts does it hold after complete removal of the oil ? 8+ sounds like yhe bare minimum

Old 08-16-2012, 12:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do i activate the "rest" mode ?
My alarm speaker I think maybe broken , sounds like nails on a chalk board..thinkin maybe Its got something to do with the alarm speaker it self ?
And i don't get a sound letting me know the alarm is active upon locking the doors
Is that how the car is supposed to be ?
Nope that annoying chirping scream is normal... and if its the original alarm, there won't be any beeping to let you know you locked or unlocked the car... there are newer versions of the alarm siren that do have the beeping though

Quick Reply: happy day, i just joined the family :)