Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

A Question Of Standards

Old 08-14-2004, 11:37 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those without sin may cast the first stone!

Old 08-15-2004, 01:11 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I use to be part of the 350z online forum. Now that got ugly at times! This forum seems to me to be one great place. It really does have a family atmosphere to it, as keijoh has metioned. It is completely refreshing.

I have only been a memeber for about 5 months now, and have read quite a few posts. I have only once seen anything that could be considered ugly, and relatively speaking, it was nothing compared to what I have read on the 350z forum.

What exactly is jsisabella talking about? I must be missing out on the slander, and pandering, because I havn't seen any of it. I always enjoy my visit to this forum!

Old 08-15-2004, 02:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I completely agree with BobbaFettm; I would MUCH rather err on the side of free speech (and fun and photos!) than on boring the hell out of everyone and watching the forum die a slow death. It's been a great resource for me, and putting up (and sometimes shutting up) has been a small price to pay to get all the help, advice, and friends I have made here.

I believe we are all intelligent enough to form our own opinions of offending posters instead of the people that they post about. After all, we were all smart enough to buy a Crossfire!

Old 08-15-2004, 07:53 AM
RGT

While I am a new user of this board, I have been reading it since before I even bought my car, six months ago.
I didn't register until recently because of the petty adolescent name-calling, and the "ganging-up" that I saw here.

Just as there are forums that are worse than this one, there are also forums that are much better.

A little self-restraint is all it takes to keep from turning this resource into an online cesspool.
If someone is making comments that degrade others, simply ignore that person entirely until they can behave civilized.

If you must argue, do it intelligently, not like some Jerry Springer free-for-all. Have a little class.

Show the world the good side of Crossfire ownership, and Crossfire owners.

Matt

Old 08-15-2004, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by BobaFettm
and Tdancer would have me thrown in jail by some CIA security officer! ....
Hehehe.... maybe they should make ME a moderator.

No three strikes - instead forum abusers would spend a couple of days in leavenworth thinking about their next post!

Old 08-15-2004, 09:12 PM

I must agree, we all signed on with regulations and we should adhere to them, what is fun about name -callling and hurting peolple? We are all here for fun and enjoyment of a Fantabulous car and IMO a sincerely enjoyable group of people. All in all, we have a good time and comradere. Why are we trying to ruin that?

Tdancer and CEE BEE hit it on the nose!!!

Old 08-15-2004, 10:59 PM
Forum Regular

Why don't we just make everyone a moderator while we're at it?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Old 08-15-2004, 11:42 PM

In respnse to jsisabella:
I don't know exactly where to begin, but I feel you have made some very cogent points. I truly believe one challenge on this forum is the vast variety of ages and experiences among forum members. We older folks were raised under an entirely different set of standards than the" youngsters" on the forum. It would be really nice to not hear any raunchy sexually explicit remarks or put downs of individuals, but I believe those days are mostly a thing of the past.

I hope the majority of the members remain on a friendly and helpful path because I would sincerely hate to see too much censorship as pertains to messages.

I will be going on my first "Hook Up" in September. If there is a bright light on the forum it seems to be the individuals involved in the drives. Maybe all of us need to find our own little niche on the forum and let the other junk roll off our backs like so much water.

I didn't sound as concise on this topic as I had hoped, but I repeat many of your concerns have been felt by me and I was unable to express them as well.

Graphite with Slate Interior - #000633

Old 08-16-2004, 02:41 AM

I too am new here ( Maybe a couple of months). I'm also a member of a corvette forum which has a large diversity such as here.

I have been with the corvette forum for about 6 years.

I cannot count the repetitive questions, on the same topics, I have been close to just putting them in a word file and copy and paste them in the replies.

As an observation here, i have seen newcomers that ask a simple question, and sometimes more than not, are responded in a curt way of " Well do a search!"... has anyone thought that they may be new to forums altogether? Or realize that they don't know the same question has been responded too a week before they got here?

Even though those types of responses were never directed towards me, if i were the recipient I would have said ... forget this crowd...!

I am a humorous person for those who know me... so i may chime in once in a while, which most of the time is ignored, but that's ok too. As my mother in law of 28 years is still trying to figure me out.

I have pretty much left the responses to others and decided that most of my research i'll do on my own.

I have seen on other forums people go out of their way to assist others and as I mentioned before perhaps it is cause i'm new here.. I just don't see it in this forum. Again my observation...

mo

Old 08-16-2004, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by DFWSBR
Why don't we just make everyone a moderator while we're at it?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Ok... that's 2 days for you! Someone will be by to collect you within the hour...

j/k :wink:

Old 08-16-2004, 02:06 PM
Forum Regular

This is a great discussion and exchange of ideas!!!!

And is exactly what I meant by my initial posting.

I would like to respond to some of the comments, if I may.

Adam: If you and Julian would like to add me as a moderator, I would be honored to do so. I would just want to have some common guidelines to work with. Do I think I could solve all the problems? I have been around too long to think that. Could I help? Absolutely. Is it the job of a moderator to keep everyone happy? That is impossible. The best that can be done is to enforce the rules that we all agreed to when we joined this forum.

Bobba: The fact that other forums get nasty does not mean that this one has to. I do not really think that some members think they are "better". I truly believe that they (and I am including myself here) do not believe that standards have to go down, because "that is the way it is". Quality will remain high, as long as we demand it do so. As soon as we begin to accept lower quality of anything in our lives, then the downward spiral begins. I think that humor is wonderful! The picture of James's car was a work of art. But there is a line between humor and crudeness that I think is not that difficult to see. If it involves bodily functions, leave it in the bathroom, not on the forum. And I don't think that a warning from a moderator when the line has been crossed is going to control the atmosphere and make it boring. In fact, I think it will let more people post their views without the fear of attack, which although you may not be offended, many people are. Can you relax here? Of course we want you to. But posting expletives are not relaxing to me, and I think many others. So again, I am saying that there has to be a balance.

Connie: I agree with you completely that there are not that many regular posters, and that the percentage of people that are concerned about the direction of this forum is higher than the actual count.

Dan Root: I am the first to admit that I have been guilty of posting heated remarks in some of my posts. However, never have I had to resort to using indecent or threatening language. If you think about what you want to say, you don't have to.

Tdancer: I really wish we had a 2 minute penalty box that we could place offenders, like in hockey. Then they are forgiven and let back into the game!

Nikki: I just really don't agree that being civil in our treatment of each other is a thing of the past! We just have to demand it of each other, and accept nothing less.

Mo_Bandy: In your example, most of the time, members will give a short answer, along with a description of how to use the search function. Some members even put direct links to the topic. I think that is the right way to handle it. If you see something that is not in that fashion, put in a better post! We surely do not want to lose any members...

and finally, to RGT: Your comment of "have a little class" just says it all!!!!

This time I will apologize for the length.....

:lol: