Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

what year to purchase

Old 02-10-2013, 04:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what year to purchase

new to this forum. I own a 04 avalanche (dd) and a 95 impala ss show/ driver. I'm in the market for a crossfire to replace my 88 chrysler conquest. I loved my quest, but she finally layed down, after nine years. could not find anymore engines, no one wanted to part with one. sold it two years ago. fugi blue tsi 5speed inline4 turbo. decided that xfire would be the best replacement for the quest. What is the best years to look at, looking for a 6 speed manual possible limited series. any help?

Old 02-10-2013, 04:56 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: what year to purchase

All 2004's are technically limited editions.
If you want a 6speed that eliminates the srt.
There is a wealth of info here that you can learn from to make an educated purchase.
Pull up a chair and start reading. Don't forget the search feature.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stryfox
All 2004's are technically limited editions.
If you want a 6speed that eliminates the srt.
There is a wealth of info here that you can learn from to make an educated purchase.
Pull up a chair and start reading. Don't forget the search feature.
+1

Welcome to the best XF forum!

Old 02-10-2013, 05:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Look for an original owner car that was first purchased after 7/26/2007.......that would be a car that still has the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty. The warranty is not transferable to you......but suggests the current owner would have had anything fixed by Chrysler if anything ever came up. My 07 6 speed (LPW) has had the valve covers replaced (free) & there was a tiny rear axle leak fixed (free). Was told that if I would have had to pay for these 2 repairs....it would have been about $1,500. So after almost 90,000 miles I've only had to pay for 2 light bulbs.

If you find such a car.....look for those 2 issues & if the problems exist.....ask the owner with the LPW to have them fixed by Chrysler before you buy the car. Also, ask to see proof that the 5 year free inspection has been performed by a Chrysler dealership.

Last edited by Chris L.; 02-10-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:04 PM
Received 552 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndtonone
new to this forum. I own a 04 avalanche (dd) and a 95 impala ss show/ driver. I'm in the market for a crossfire to replace my 88 chrysler conquest. I loved my quest, but she finally layed down, after nine years. could not find anymore engines, no one wanted to part with one. sold it two years ago. fugi blue tsi 5speed inline4 turbo. decided that xfire would be the best replacement for the quest. What is the best years to look at, looking for a 6 speed manual possible limited series. any help?
Impala SS? Hm-mm, been to Woodward? (In joke)

Get a low mileage garage queen if you can, why bother with a high mileage DD car when you have a selection of low mileage ones. Travel to get it if you must.

Be absolutely sure you want a stick shift car, do not come back here the week after your purchased it and ask how much to fit a supercharger or turbo to it.
If you think that is what you will be asking get an SRT-6 NOW or buy something else.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
Personally, I think your fine with any of the 5 years of production. I would simply try to find as new, and as low mileage as possible for the money you have to spend.
Some early 04's had problems with the transmission popping out of gear, but I would think most any one you would find now-a-days had the problem taken care of by now.
I think the valve cover gasket leak is pretty universal for all the years. My Daughter had her's fixed for under $200.
I purchased my 04 6spd. brand new on April 1st. of 05. With over 70k miles, the only warranty work I've had was a new battery 3 days before the 3 year 36k mile warranty.
Being a previous "Conquest" owner (those cars are so cool) you may be a little disappointed with the Crossfires "notchy" 6spd. Actually, the 1st. to 2nd. shift is the worst of any sports car I've owned, and I've had a few. That being said, I still love having a 6spd. and it seems some shift better than others. I think it's just something you get use to.
Take your time shopping, and don't hesitate to ask for help here on the forum. It's the greatest group of "Car People" you will ever want to meet. We all love our cars.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:29 PM

thanks, for the quick responses. I have been looking for the last two years for a decent car. I have been on this forum searching and researching this car. I'M sold on it. conquest with turbo was fun, but head gaskets and heat issues get old. 200+ hp is not bad. This one will be a (dd) in the good months in ky. truck will be for winter months. Also have a spare 5.3 ls motor sitting around(hint,hint) if the v6 decides to go south. honestly the car is leaps and bounds above alot, I came from the conquest camp, and it took two donor cars to make one good one. I think I can handle a few issues this one can throw at me. test drove a dark blue xfire, nice car but had underhood issues. I watch e-bay and this forum for nice cars for sale, as well as craigs list. I will take my time and shop wisely. thank you guys and gals for your honest input, and I hope that i get to meet some of you in the future thanks john.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:27 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Keep an eye on cars.com also. They have as many if not more Crossfire lisitngs than ebay.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd also try to find a later model year with low miles.

Last edited by harbor; 02-10-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndtonone
thanks, for the quick responses. I have been looking for the last two years for a decent car. I have been on this forum searching and researching this car. I'M sold on it. conquest with turbo was fun, but head gaskets and heat issues get old. 200+ hp is not bad. This one will be a (dd) in the good months in ky. truck will be for winter months. Also have a spare 5.3 ls motor sitting around(hint,hint) if the v6 decides to go south. honestly the car is leaps and bounds above alot, I came from the conquest camp, and it took two donor cars to make one good one. I think I can handle a few issues this one can throw at me. test drove a dark blue xfire, nice car but had underhood issues. I watch e-bay and this forum for nice cars for sale, as well as craigs list. I will take my time and shop wisely. thank you guys and gals for your honest input, and I hope that i get to meet some of you in the future thanks john.
What is your price range? I am only asking because my dad's friend has his crossfire for sale. It is very very nice. I can vouch. I am also in NJ, but if you have been looking on eBay for cars I'm sure shipping the car to you isn't much of an issue in your eyes. If you would like to know more information, don't hesitate to private message me on here or call or text me. My name is Rob and my number is 201-370-9156. Hope this helps!