Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Enlighten me!

Old 03-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Enlighten me!

I just don't get it. What we have here is a wonderful european GT car, very competent out of the box and with a few mods, ie. pulley kit CAI and tune, aftermarket wheels(lighter) spacers to widen the track, good rubber, you have a car that will run with the best of them. Especially the SRT6. So why have so many turned to drag racing their cars? To me, thats what Mustangs and Camaros, etc are good for, they certainly would never challenge your Crossfire on a twisty road. Another thing that eludes me is the lowering! You lose suspension travel, have alignment issues and upset the aerodynamics of the car. This car was designed to be driven. So please, enlighten me, I'd really like to understand.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Enlighten me!

Different strokes for different folks.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mark this one up there with the sagging pants down to their knees category. Who knows why. When you ask them the question they can never give you a definitive answer. I agree with you. Why would they have made the car so beautiful if it wasnt made to be driven and seen in?

Old 03-04-2013, 03:03 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by STEPHENJXN
mark this one up there with the sagging pants down to their knees category. Who knows why. When you ask them the question they can never give you a definitive answer. I agree with you. Why would they have made the car so beautiful if it wasnt made to be driven and seen in?
Mostly, but not always true. maxcichon worked very hard to get his roadster lowered just for aesthetics, and last I checked, his pants are still where they should be ........

( I'm sure if he decides to chime in, he can answer your question )

Old 03-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think most do what they do because they can.

White boys and even babies are doing it now!

Old 03-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Dang they start them out early with the training!

Old 03-04-2013, 06:12 PM

I like the Crossfire because I can hold a 6 inch line at speed. Just like my Norton. My Sunbeam won't, but it goes to speed quick. They are all FUN!!

Old 03-04-2013, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
... So why have so many turned to drag racing their cars?
... Another thing that eludes me is the lowering! You lose suspension travel, have alignment issues and upset the aerodynamics of the car. This car was designed to be driven. So please, enlighten me, I'd really like to understand.
1. Because I wanted to and because I can...
2. My car out performs how it use to be in every way without compromising ride quality and driveability.
A win win if you ask me

My guess is you are also a corvette owner

Old 03-04-2013, 08:24 PM

Why not have the best of both worlds? A drag racer and canyon carver with unique looks all in one package. I love turning heads with my car (especially giving it enough gas to kick in the supercharger for the growl).

Old 03-04-2013, 08:47 PM

The simple answer is "to each their own" But remember often people display their individuality through self expression be it personally or physically or through an object in this case a car.

I choose to keep my car completely stock and love it just the way it is. Others choose to customize theirs to their own liking. I may not like the looks of some of the modded cars but I can appreciate the effort that goes into it.

I don't like "Tuner" cars but I'll still give a nod to a young fella to acknowledge his efforts. Better they put forth the effort in their car as opposed to being a delinquent.

At the end of the day the world would be awfully boring and monotonous if we were all the same. That's my 2 cents..

Last edited by canadian-fire; 03-04-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:12 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My motto has always been, "Make it your own".

Old 03-05-2013, 04:51 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaner
2. My car out performs how it use to be in every way without compromising ride quality and driveability.
A win win if you ask me

Hold on ther big boy , That Mr Corvette to you !! LOL !!! Never lower the Crossfire but can tell you that Corvette is alot lower , but i can tell you i like Driven them more then showing them , both are great cars with great strong points , and hell of alot fun to drive !!!!

Last edited by Osofast2; 03-05-2013 at 04:54 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaner
A win win if you ask me

Wrong on the Corvette guess. Actually, unless they give me one, I wouldn't want one. I'd put my money into something with a little soul, a nice used Ferrari for instance and I wouldn't make it a dragster.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:43 PM
Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts

you have been Enlightened, therefore i need not say a thing about the subject just read ALL my posting page. jim

Old 03-05-2013, 02:58 PM

I have setof springs and gas/oil shocks to match for sale once I replace them with original stock.

The drive is... simply like its on rails, zero body roll and soooo precise... but the roads in Southern England are like an Off-Road track, and I don't want to end up in spinal traction in my old age...

The lowered items don't cause a wheel arch crash with standard rims and tyre widths, and no suspension mods were required.

Any offers on the 4 springs and 4 good shocks, for when I swap them over soon ?

Grant B

Dorset County, UK

Old 03-05-2013, 06:43 PM

Wrong on the Corvette guess. Actually, unless they give me one, I wouldn't want one...
haha
A free-bee is always nice

Old 03-05-2013, 07:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nothing personal guys. But give me the chance to find a sweet deal on ANY nice 67 Vette Coupe, and I'm going to pull an FP.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:18 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm competing in an all around competition where you are awarded points in the 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile, Solo 1 and I think I can win with this car. So, I'm lowered, stiff suspension, light rims, wide tires, a few bolt ons and kicking butt. What's wrong with that?

Les

Old 03-05-2013, 07:27 PM

I could not afford a Corvette. So I bought MG or Sunbeam. no money for a Jaguar. I found the money for Crossfire. Love at first sight. The only car to hit me that way. Still in love. Looking for a gold anniversary.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another thing that eludes me is the lowering! You lose suspension travel, have alignment issues and upset the aerodynamics of the car. This car was designed to be driven. So please, enlighten me, I'd really like to understand.
Driven? Really? To my knowledge there are less than a handful of Crossfires that are slammed to the ground, aka useless. Most everyone here, especially those of us that have commented, have put lots of thought, time, and money into making our suspensions handle significantly better than OEM. Suspension travle is lost, so is body roll, and with a considerably stiffer spring, you don't need or want more travel. I am also unaware how it affects the aero of the car, but I am not an aero engineer and have had mine around 150 with no problems or stability issues...

To each their own, but I am glad you used the phrase 'eludes me' because if you spent a day or two at the track, road course, not drag, and you would understand why we have done what we have done

Quick Reply: Enlighten me!