Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Was told I need my ECU flashed

Old 04-15-2013, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was told I need my ECU flashed

I took my 04 to MB dealer while ago. They told me I needed my ECU flashed. They told me it needed another ECU but I got home and read online. Flashing is only reprogramming it like a diesel programer basicaly. Was told it would cost about $1,400 or more. So just how much smoke is being blown up the blow hole here guys?
My car has been dead for about 6 months now. It was in limp mode last week I changed the connector plate it went perfect no problem there. BUT it still was in limp mode. Took it in today on a trailor and got the answers above. HELP!!!! I need to know what to tell them tomorrow morning, so please fast help herre.

Jeff/Fritz

Old 04-15-2013, 07:53 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Was told I need my ECU flashed

I would get a clarification, there's a difference between a fried ECU and an ECU that needs reprogramming.

What all have you tried doing to your car over the 6 months? List everything, even disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:07 PM

Totally took my battery out of the car for about 3 months using it in one of my muscle cars to drive to work So thats out of the question.

Changed the connector plate, it went smooth and nice. New filter too.

Took out the fuse for the alarm because it was driving me insane going off for no reason at all. Now I cant lock the car at all, it seems they are all tied together. If I lock it its locked till I smash a window. LOL

Have set and drank a few gallons of beer cursing it for being a very nice looking yard ornament, but thats all I have done to it.

Fritz

Old 04-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fritz123
Totally took my battery out of the car for about 3 months using it in one of my muscle cars to drive to work So thats out of the question.

Changed the connector plate, it went smooth and nice. New filter too.

Took out the fuse for the alarm because it was driving me insane going off for no reason at all. Now I cant lock the car at all, it seems they are all tied together. If I lock it its locked till I smash a window. LOL

Have set and drank a few gallons of beer cursing it for being a very nice looking yard ornament, but thats all I have done to it.

Fritz
You could try using a tennis ball to push air through the key hole since we don't exactly have mechanical locks. Just cut a small hole in it.

Not having a battery in the car for that long could have possibly wiped or corrupted some of the data that the ECU needs so reprogramming sounds plausible. I work network admin stuff for the Air Force so I don't know the most about hardware.

At $1400 though I would think they are just replacing the ECU and not reprogramming it.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:28 PM

Well Selbyl, I hope your right. I feel that you are. The biggest thing I remember is that he told me the ECU didnt need replaces at one point. Then he told me that he thought the ECU would be replaced and reprogramed. He isnt the mechanic, he is i FEEL a very nice guy. We talked for a few hours there about world things he is muslim and I was in iraq for 5 years. We had a lot to talk about, no I wasnt military or contractor at the time. I was the only person that went into baghdad everyday alone and met the people one on one. I was a little special there...hahah.
Oh year I have a gf from guam she is in San Antonio WOW.

thanks a ton for your input.

Fritz

Old 04-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Forum Regular

Well I hope everything works out and doesn't hurt your pocketbook too much. Thankfully all the issues I've had I've been able to fix with my own hands and a hobby shop for $5/hr to use a lift and tools. I wish communities outside of military bases had these.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:54 PM

I know exactly what your talking about. I was military mostly in Germany and Benning. I used the auto shops constantly for $2 and hour there. I made a good side living fixing all my friends things for them there. My son and I have a shop here, but its only for 72 and older muscle cars. We just dont deal with newer things. We are kind of rare now days, we do our own body engine paint and interior ourselves. not many people now days can honestly say... I BUILT THIS!

cars right now in the works.

71 BOSS 351
69 Mach1
67 Dart GT with 440 auto
66 Coronet 440 4 speed
66 Beledere 440 4 speed
72 Javelen AMX 401 4 speed
72 Camaro
70 Nova 468 4 speed
66 Cyclone 390 auto
70 Formula firebird with Buick 455 4 speed
72 Ford F100 351 Cobra Jet

Boys and their toys.

Fritz

Old 04-15-2013, 09:32 PM

Sorry Selbyl, I just remembered something he told me also. He told me that the ECU wasnt communicating with the new connector plate. Any ideas now?

Anyone??

Fritz

Old 04-15-2013, 09:34 PM
Received 203 Likes on 154 Posts

maybe pm Rudy he is the one that can help you,, where r u?

Old 04-15-2013, 09:42 PM

I am close to Austin TX, thats where my car is now. Thanks for the heads up on Rudy I will try to give him a shot now.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:52 PM

Sorry guys, anyone know how to get a pm to rudy. i cant find anything from him to pc him from... i need help fastttttttttttttttttt

Fritz

Old 04-15-2013, 09:53 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Also have you tried the programming fob routine? Few threads here on it.. Also in the owners manual if I'm not mistaken.. for when you replace the battery..

Old 04-15-2013, 09:57 PM

No sir, didnt try that yet. But right now i am trying to get hold of Rudy. I hear he is the man in this little world we live on. If i cant get this fixed or answerd soon I guess I will be taking it up the ol wazoo...not looking forward to that..
I do need to change battery soon in my fob though, thanks for the heads up and i will get that done tomorrow when I go to see my sad little car.

Fritz

Old 04-15-2013, 10:49 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Three weeks ago I had to replace the key switch for the sticky key. Long story short if you rehook your battery before replacing the #9 or #10 fuse, the one that controls inside lights, door locks and siren it will continue to sound off all the time. It is a safety deal. Pull your fuse, neg. Batt. Cable, wait a few minutes. Replace the fuse THEN rehook the batt. Cable.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:24 PM
Received 203 Likes on 154 Posts

this is Rudy.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...uspension.html