Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

New to the forum - What should I look out for when shopping for a coupe?

Old 04-30-2013, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forum - What should I look out for when shopping for a coupe?

Hi to all

I recently started a nice career and drive an Accord 4cyl MT coupe as my daily driver (I baby it )

I am in the market to purchase an 04-08 Crossfire Coupe in the near future. I have been in LOVE with these vehicles since I saw them an NAIAS Detroit when they were new.

Mainly, the car will be my toy. Light mods, nothing outrageous. As much as I'd LOVE an SRT6, I refuse to drive an automatic, even though I am aware that the Mercedes sourced 5-speed auto is a gem...

My question for you folks is what trouble spots should I be looking for when buying used? I am aware of the common rust problem, but I will be babying this vehicle when I get one. And am mostly concered with reliability issues (even though I have done my research and know these cars are pretty damn solid)

From 04-08, were there any significant changes from reliability standpoints? What are some trouble spots I should be aware of?

Thank you in advance for your guidance. Cheers!

Old 04-30-2013, 04:13 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Re: New to the forum - What should I look out for when shopping for a coupe?

Reading a few pages of forum posts will clue you in what to look for. Based on my experience with three of them, they are rock solid and if you do basic maintenance there should be few issues. Most problems were heated seats failing or battery ran down leading to electrical problems.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:15 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: New to the forum - What should I look out for when shopping for a coupe?

Your future has arrived early.. LOL.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post737298

Old 04-30-2013, 04:18 PM
Forum Regular

They were all built in one run from 03 to 06, regardless of what year they were sold as, so there is no difference between any of them........they are all 04's

Old 04-30-2013, 05:10 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually, they were built until December 17, 2007........the last 1500 or so were called '08s.

If you're looking for a beautiful '07 Machine Grey 6 speed in great condition......3 weeks ago I traded in one of mine (also have an 08).......Shawnee Mission Ford in KCK area...
It was under a Lifetime Powertrain Warranty ...until I traded it in. Passed it's 5 year inspection in Nov. New plugs, coolant, brake fluid, M1 0-40 always about 1000 miles before monitor said due......very new tires 265s on back. Brand new ceramic pads on front. Oil monitor current readout is accurate....recent oil change. At 89,500 miles....I'm convinced it's a 400,000 mile engine / transmission. Dealership reduced price to $10,900 this week.....$10 K will probably get it.

Machine Grey is the very dark....greenish-black....Crystal Pearl ...metal...that changes color in different light. TPMS came on recently.....so one needs maintenance....I put small tape dot over indicator light last month.....was going to wait till next set of tires to put all new TPMS devices In. I averaged 25 mpg since brand new.........Had it up to 131 mph once....
got chicken at that point.

Pics in my gallery.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:13 PM

lNever wrecked.. I was the original owner......it's name is Fred. I still have Wilma.

ZERO door dents. Garagged when not being driven, interior in great shape. Lighter socket works....lighter doesn't.

I was going to repaint front bumper if I had kept it till 100,000. Zero leaks....Warranty fixed the common valve cover gasket & rear axle leak.

If I had sold it on my own I would have asked $12K & took $10,500 to $11K. I got about $9K in reality from the trade in.

Original sticker in owner's manual pouch......$36,000......I paid $23K brand new in Nov. 07. All maintenance written in back of manual.

Has never used a drop of oil between changes!!!!!!!

Last edited by Chris L.; 04-30-2013 at 05:47 PM. Reason: update
Old 04-30-2013, 06:37 PM

WOW! Thanks for all the reply's. I'm not looking to purchase right this second, need to get past my 6month probationary period at work first! LOL!

Do ya'll use your Crossfires as daily drivers? I plan on treating mine like an exotic! lol

Old 04-30-2013, 06:54 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by magiconthetire
WOW! Thanks for all the reply's. I'm not looking to purchase right this second, need to get past my 6month probationary period at work first! LOL!

Do ya'll use your Crossfires as daily drivers? I plan on treating mine like an exotic! lol

I use mine as a daily driver. I bought my '05 limited May of '12 for $9400 and got a one year warranty. Just hit 96K on the clock.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Selbyl
I use mine as a daily driver. I bought my '05 limited May of '12 for $9400 and got a one year warranty. Just hit 96K on the clock.
Amazing deal, Im glad you enjoy it. How is the road noise? Do you run full premium fuel? I remember back in late 08' they were moving base coupes for $19,999. I was shocked!

Old 04-30-2013, 07:29 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by magiconthetire
Amazing deal, Im glad you enjoy it. How is the road noise? Do you run full premium fuel? I remember back in late 08' they were moving base coupes for $19,999. I was shocked!
I don't notice the road noise too much I have 2 12's in my trunk to block that out. Even when I have them off its not too bad to me. If it bothers you dynomat is pretty cheap in amazon. Just a sheet or too under the trunk mat will take care of that.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:36 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Picked mine up in Aug 2011. 67k on the clock @ 9 grand.

Daily driver 108k now .

I'm gonna driver her till the wheels fall off and duct tape and bailing wire won't do anymore...

Then score one of these garage queens around here!

Old 04-30-2013, 08:57 PM
Forum Regular

check out

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...crossfire.html

good luck

my '05 is my DD, the '06 is the garage queen

Cheers

Old 05-01-2013, 09:30 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Chris L - that's a nice color. Same car I purchased for my son three years ago. He only has 25k on his. I just went through a complete tire replacement including new tpms and the icon did not go off. Discount advised me to take it to the dealer. The tape method is more cost efficient (I check the tire pressure regularly). Where is KCK area? It sounds far away from Michigan, unfortunately, because I would drop $10k on another one of these in machine gray.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Selbyl
I don't notice the road noise too much I have 2 12's in my trunk to block that out. Even when I have them off its not too bad to me. If it bothers you dynomat is pretty cheap in amazon. Just a sheet or too under the trunk mat will take care of that.
Good info, Selbyl ... hadn't thought of that. Mine had terrible road noise but the tires were shot . Put on 4 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires and the road noise decreased, but is still there. I'll look into the dynomat.

Thanks - RL

Old 05-01-2013, 02:25 PM

Dealership is in Shawnee Mission Kansas...(Greater Kansas City area).

Old 05-01-2013, 02:29 PM

At first they listed it for $12,500, Now it.s at $11,900 on yahoo auto & $10,900 on the dealer's own website as an "internet" price.

I'll bet they would take 9200 or so??????

Old 05-01-2013, 02:59 PM
Forum Regular

2005 SRT6 here as a daily. its been through snow, ice, rain, hurricanes, 105degree summer, bumper to bumper traffic, everything that the state of Maryland can toss at it. I still clean it up and drive it to car shows in the summer.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris L.

At first they listed it for $12,500, Now it.s at $11,900 on yahoo auto & $10,900 on the dealer's own website as an "internet" price.

I'll bet they would take 9200 or so??????
Check CARFAX to see if its been reported in any accidents or floods.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by STEPHENJXN
Check CARFAX to see if its been reported in any accidents or floods.

I was the original owner......? I owned it until April 6th.......unless the dealership wrecked it or unless there's been a flood 15 miles from my house that I haven't heard about in the last 3 weeks.......no reason to waste money on carfax, I'm the one that put the entire 89,500 miles on it. I have nothing to gain from it being sold.......just want Fred to go to a good home.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

My Roadster is now just over 89,000 miles (gotta update my sigline), and I'd never take even the $12,000 I paid for it when it had 44,000 on it!

Sounds like Chris' car is a steal to me, if you can get it for anything under $11,000. And I know you can!

Quick Reply: New to the forum - What should I look out for when shopping for a coupe?