Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

I've been doing some thinking. LONG READ.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've been doing some thinking. LONG READ.

I've been on the internet for hours now, scrolling through articles, changing tabs in and out, opening new windows, and browsing different websites, to find something interesting.
As we all know, Chrysler has a whopping list of just 3 vehicles. Why? Because Chrysler is broke.
(Chrysler’s been broke for long enough that virtually all meaningful product development has been halted for some time.) - Caranddriver.
How they're broke is completely beyond me. If someone would care to explain to me how they became broke, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Where this post is leading is simply this; is it so hard for Chrysler to come up with a new car to save itself? Okay, maybe not save, but give it some leverage in the expanding car market? Which, lets face it, Chrysler is doing poorly in.
As if Chrysler didn't have enough things to worry about, they're not the most 'loved car company in the world. For the most part, Chrysler hasn't been doing to well in the 'fuel efficiency' area, as well as the 'technology' half.

Heading back up to the whole 'Chrysler is broke' part, is this really true? I mean, really true? They have enough of a financial cushion to make 9 Dodge vehicles, and roughly 5 Jeep vehicles (if my memory serves correct). One out of the 9 Dodge vehicles is -- lets not forget -- an almost $200,000 priced vehicle. With base pricing starting at just $120,000. Chrysler is broke, but can afford to make this car for Dodge, AND start fresh with a new 2013 lineup that begins in November. What? But no new Chrysler car?
It just bugs me that Chrysler is always being the car company that's pushed around, or 'bullied.'

Another obstacle that's seemed to have gotten in the way is none other than the cute little car company Fiat.
Now there's a portion of Caranddriver and its article about the Fiat/Chrysler partnership that really interests me. Here it is;

Chrysler needs all the help it can get to once again become viable—and prove that it can stay that way—especially considering that the U.S. government and the American populace expect to be repaid for their recent $4 billion loan to the troubled automaker. Indeed, Chrysler will likely need additional loans to continue its transformation. To that end, the Fiat/Chrysler partnership and its potential for leveraging global markets—thus strengthening both companies—could help convince lawmakers to approve further assistance.
Do you think Fiat can really help Chrysler out of it's $4 billion debt? Fiat, so far has done nothing as far as I'm concerned to help Chrysler out of the hole it's in. Sergio Marchionne has made every possible attempt he can to obtain the rest of the Chrysler division. It's been noted he'll stop at nothing to get what he wants. But what will that leave Chrysler with? Being bossed around by the Italian car company for the rest of its life until their contract is over? Probably. It just doesn't seem right. This merger, I'll admit has kept Chrysler afloat in its production sales. Financially, it hasn't done much. As far as I'm concerned.

“Independence in this business is no longer sustainable.” His prediction that only six global carmakers will still exist in two years is pretty telling. This new alliance is apparently his attempt at merging rather than dying.
Was what Sergio said meant to be nice? Or just another way of him trying to trick and/or persuade people into thinking the same thing, in hopes they'll allow Chrysler to be swallowed whole by Fiat.
I'm not to keen, or caught up on all of this car company contract business. Or its components and how it works. Such as loans, money issues they've both paid to each other, shares, bonds etc. So I won't get into more than Chrysler being broke, as that's all I'm up to date on in the situation with this merger.
Agreed though, Chrysler has been prevented from near-extinction with Fiats help, this I'm aware of. But is it what's best for Chrysler? I could have seen Chrysler and GMs alliance much more than I could Fiats. Even Nissan for that matter. Though that one was just a rumor. If it hadn't been for financial hardships for both GM and Chrysler, maybe we could have seen some really great cars from their alliance. Why is the world so cruel?

But in other words, all this babble I'm doing about Chrysler, and its lineup, as well as its other divisions is leading up to a more basic, simple idea; a new sports car.
Yes, I'm sure you saw this coming. And yes I'm aware a new car has been talked about amongst members on this site. What was it again? Ah yes, a new Crossfire. Which I'm sure wouldn't be named Crossfire. As that names significance is only held by MB and Chrysler. I doubt Fiat would allow it.
Just think about it for a minute, and really soak in the idea. A new sports car for Chrysler. Wouldn't it look sharp with the new Chrysler emblem stamped on the front and rear? That emblem stretching out its silver wings on a newly refurbished sports car? The idea shouldn't seem too far-fetched I assure you. What puzzles me though, is why haven't they done it yet?
My idea was this; Chrysler can't afford to make anymore Chrysler vehicles, but they can afford to market more Dodge and Jeep vehicles? Seems weird. So why not just create a sports car using an existing Dodge vehicle platform/layout? No. I do not mean the Chrysler Firepower. Although that car is extremely beautiful to look out, it's a super car. Chrysler doesn't need one of them. They need a 'better' version of the Crossfire. Which I know for some of you members is something hard to think of. Since, well lets face it, the Crossfire is perfect. But in all honesty, a Dodge platform/layout, with a Chrysler badge. They did this with MB and it costs them thousands of dollars, they can probably do this with Dodge (their own division) and it may cost them half of what it cost with MB.
As far as design goes, I personally think the user 'Creator' was onto something with his sketches found in the link(s) below.
Chrysler wouldn't need to do much IMO. The Nissan370z (338HP), Mustang GT(308), and Camaro (323HP) are the only rivals it would need to target. The Crossfires stock HP was a bit short of the competition, and lacked interior styling. So now, since I'm sure Chrysler has taken enough criticism on the Crossfire, they'd know what to be on the lookout for. As stated by several member, if a new sports car were to EVER go into production, a good base HP of 270-330 would be their best bet. With a turbo of 340-460. That perfectly rivals its competitors. A little short, but Chrysler is also a luxury brand. And not to be confused with a muscle car, such as the likes of the Mustang and Camaro. But should maybe focus more on the competition of Nissan. Considering they're too similar sized coupes.

It's a long shot for Chrysler we all know, but we can dream.
Maybe one day, we'll all sign a petition to make this dream become a reality.
So here are some questions for you fellow XFire members;

Do you think Chrysler is focusing more on the Dodge and Jeep lineups than it should be?
Would you like to see a new Chrysler coupe?

NOTE.
I may have left out a few small increments, or details regarding certain aspects in this article.
I accidentally deleted everything I had typed earlier, and thus needed to retype it.
I was so frustrated.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...crossfire.html

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...e-2-0-a-5.html

Source;
Fiat and Chrysler Announce Strategic Alliance - Car News - Car and Driver

Old 05-28-2013, 12:18 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: I've been doing some thinking. LONG READ.

What is the $ 200,000 car they are making for Dodge? Certainly not the Viper, that is an SRT brand and the upper range is $123,000 and starts around $99,000. The Jeep brand is solid and Dodge with the new Dart seems to be ok. And, yes , Fiat can help by sharing platforms and technology. A new sports car for Chrysler would be counterproductive with the new Viper already in the line up. GM tried that with the Pontiac Solstice and the Caddy XRS both based on a Corvette chassis. You don't see them on showroom floors anymore. Improved road cars in the European mode would serve them well and seems to be the direction that they want to go.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
What is the $ 200,000 car they are making for Dodge? Certainly not the Viper, that is an SRT brand and the upper range is $123,000 and starts around $99,000. The Jeep brand is solid and Dodge with the new Dart seems to be ok. And, yes , Fiat can help by sharing platforms and technology. A new sports car for Chrysler would be counterproductive with the new Viper already in the line up. GM tried that with the Pontiac Solstice and the Caddy XRS both based on a Corvette chassis. You don't see them on showroom floors anymore. Improved road cars in the European mode would serve them well and seems to be the direction that they want to go.
The Solstice/Sky were built on the Corvette chassis?

Old 05-28-2013, 11:41 AM
Forum Regular
Post Re: I've been doing some thinking. LONG READ.

I~
Thanks for your cogitations on the fading Chrysler name. IMHO, as you look at demographics of the U.S. population, you find an AGING population increasingly supported by the labors of a dwindling working class. With these realities, I'm not sure that there will long remain a large or even viable market for sports cars. Small low maintenance vehicles would likely be normative in the near future. Speed and high power is fading along with the under thirty population. You can thank abortion for the demise of much of that age group, but that is another "sermon". With the apparent socio/economic direction of the country and the urbanization of the nation (more people are abandoning the 'burbs and the "sticks" for centralized, in-town living) dwindling automobile ownership, per se., is not un-predictable.
Essentially, again IMHO, Chrysler's best hope is not in a specialty car such as a sports car, but in two to three seat, energy efficient transportation capable of sustained speeds not in excess of sixty mph. Like it or not, the figures of the demographics and cultural winds seem to be blowing that way. We may be, as the horse drawn generation was before us, at the cusp of a very different view of what is needed for daily life in the culture we are creating. Mass transit may become more normative due to urbanization, and "CARS 2 GO" types of shared transportation will become typical for the 21st Cent. family.
In short: smaller, leaner, slower may be the future of personal transportation among those who may still be able to afford private transportation. The bus, or subway for the rest of us.. Sports cars will be on posters or postage stamps along with the Stanley Steamer and the Hupmobile.. just sayin'.
Thanks again for your evocative thoughts on this subject,
Jonathan
PACEMAKER

Old 05-28-2013, 12:01 PM
AlG
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chrysler is supposed to be the "Luxury" segment of the corporation. Lincoln doesn't have any sports cars either. Chrysler's 300 SRT will be the CTS-V of their line and that's about as sporty as they're going to get. The market for two seaters or even cramped 2+2s is quite limited and there's really not a case to build one in the $35,000-$45,000 bracket which is why there's no XLRs or even Allantes available from Cadillac. Of course, once you're in "supercar" territory (Ferrari, Lambo, Audi R8) it's a different story because they're more toys than useful objects. Even Porsche advertised last year how well their cars do as a daily driver and many of them are used that way. So, don't hold your breath for a Chrysler sports car because I doubt it will happen.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:29 PM

I meant $100,000**
Sorry for the confusion.
The Viper is essentially a super-car. Just as the Nissan has both its GTR and 370z.
GM also had financial hardships during their process of the XLR.
And Saturn marques along with Pontiac was already a dying part of GMs division.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by iiroko
I meant $100,000**
Sorry for the confusion.
The Viper is essentially a super-car. Just as the Nissan has both its GTR and 370z.
GM also had financial hardships during their process of the XLR.
And Saturn marques along with Pontiac was already a dying part of GMs division.
I beg to differ, the Viper is a mid priced sports car ala Corvette. Their numbers approach those of the true super cars but they accomplish that with cubic horsepower. Technologically they are far behind, ie, carbon fiber tubs, advanced aero technology, dual clutch automatics that shift in miliseconds and exclusivity. Given the choice between a Viper and LaFerrari, which would you choose? Do you see a Buick sports car, the healthiest of GMs brands? Where is Fords' sports car? I am afraid they will become the province of the affluent with the little guys looking for used sports cars that we can modify, hey, that's the Crossfire!

Old 05-29-2013, 01:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I beg to differ, the Viper is a mid priced sports car ala Corvette. Their numbers approach those of the true super cars but they accomplish that with cubic horsepower. Technologically they are far behind, ie, carbon fiber tubs, advanced aero technology, dual clutch automatics that shift in miliseconds and exclusivity. Given the choice between a Viper and LaFerrari, which would you choose? Do you see a Buick sports car, the healthiest of GMs brands? Where is Fords' sports car? I am afraid they will become the province of the affluent with the little guys looking for used sports cars that we can modify, hey, that's the Crossfire!
This from a guy who thinks the solstice/sky were based on a vette chassis LOL Have you seen a solstice?

GM Kappa platform (also used in a Daewoo, not a vette)

a viper is nearly twice what a corvette costs, they are not even close on a race track, unless you compare the ZR-1, which is about the same price as a viper

Old 05-29-2013, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
This from a guy who thinks the solstice/sky were based on a vette chassis LOL Have you seen a solstice?

GM Kappa platform (also used in a Daewoo, not a vette)

a viper is nearly twice what a corvette costs, they are not even close on a race track, unless you compare the ZR-1, which is about the same price as a viper
Yes, you are correct about the Solstice, not a Vette chassis, but the Caddy was built in the same plant on adjacent assembly lines, and they didn't make it either. That's right ZR1 and Viper very close and pretty expensive, and it remains to be seen if the Viper can stay afloat in these economically difficult times. Maybe they should have a lower starting price for an econo model, I can't see them selling a ton of them starting near 100g's. However the new Cuda looks like it might be a winner, that would be nice.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:36 AM

The LaFerrari is a $1.2M supercar. The old Viper ACR still holds the track record at the 'Ring and several other tracks around the world. The new Viper has carbon fiber body panels and the TA has one of the best aerodynamic balances of any sports car and is the current Laguna Seca record holder. When the ACR comes back out, nothing will touch it at any track, not even LaFerrari. The Viper V10 was the pioneer of variable cam-in-cam design. The Viper has always been about smart use of necessary technology to be the best, while still being a purists' car.It's pricey out of the range of most, but it's a poor man's Supercar. The Barracuda will fill the gap.

Chrylser's problem is threefold:
1. Poor Quality Control (My 300C is a money pit)
2. Poor Customer Service (Dealer service sucks across the board)
3. No economy cars (Dodge Dart is all they have)

Old 05-30-2013, 07:18 AM

Chrysler is becoming increasingly obsolete. robots build their cars, but robots don't drive or buy them.People are unneeded in factories, farms and now the military. France just had their first gay marriage. Don't want babies...unneeded.....too expensive...