Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Crossfire 2.0

Old 03-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Honorary -C-I-C-C-I Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Crossfire 2.0

Because it interferes with the function of the windshield wipers...plus they carried over the SLK wipers to save cost.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Creator
Because it interferes with the function of the windshield wipers...plus they carried over the SLK wipers to save cost.
OK. That makes sense. Thanks!

Old 03-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff Cobb
The new Chrysler 200C concept car looks pretty cool, and it is based on a shortened 300C platform.

Yeah, you could almost say it was based of the C-class platform. Although that would be hard and some sort of legal problem since the split.

After all, you have the Crossfire based off the SLK platform and the 300/Charger/Magnum based off the E-class platform...

That kind of cross selling products is what the economy needs. Creates increases in manufacturing efficiencies.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Senior Member/Moderator

My wife has a C240 4matic and the engine compartment looks identical to that of the Crossfire. The engine looks the same, everything is pretty much the same. If I could only get her to part with her engine cover!

Old 03-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by patpur
My wife has a C240 4matic and the engine compartment looks identical to that of the Crossfire. The engine looks the same, everything is pretty much the same. If I could only get her to part with her engine cover!
She actually opens the hood?

Old 03-06-2009, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by patpur
[quote=Jeff Cobb]She actually opens the hood? [/quuote]

what he meant to say was, it's her car and he opens the hood for her. haha.

patpur, i think you should just go covert one night. make the switch and see how long you can go before she realizes...

then once she realizes, wait a week and do it again...

or just never give it back.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:32 PM

I was thinking while I was looking head on at the Cross while it was parked, how much it looked like the old MB 450SL, and that's more of what I'd like to see in a Cross 2.0 . That elegance in a car that would really rip, not so much the hard edges sports cars, there's tns of those, but one that people knew was a real player. So that's why I was thinking that the boattail be retained, just not a fastback. There would be a rear window behind the seats, maybe a small cubby if you will to the glass, that then flattens out on the trunk, giving more usable touring space, and yet retaining the muscular flanks of the car, with that long hood out front. That's what i would like to see. maybe that's what i was seeing in why I think the Cross someday will truly be a collectible classic design. I see that MB SL and the MB 300 gullwing in the Cross.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:09 AM
Received 506 Likes on 350 Posts

I hope we haven't given up on this one. interesting discussions.

BUNP!

franc

Old 03-22-2009, 07:08 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Here's 2.1 Franc....

Last edited by FP; 03-22-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:16 PM

Alright, I finally got back from Taipei and had a chance to sketch some more on the next Crossfire, based on some of the comments and discussion.

Some of you thought the idea of putting it on the LX platform would make the Xfire too heavy and bulky, while taking it away from its original mission.

Crossfire 2.1 is what a mid-engined Crossfire might look like. Crossfire 2.2 is a more Corvette-like take on the next Xfire...Light, nimble and powerful, with more svelte and sexy proportions. I also tried a version of +fireamx's hood scoop...just to see what it would look like.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Crossfire2.1.jpg (760.4 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg
Crossfire2.2.jpg (1.32 MB, 167 views)
Old 03-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks fantastic!! I really like the rear... I'm not sure about the grille... I feel it's too similar to a Cadillac.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I also tried a version of +fireamx's hood scoop...just to see what it would look like.
Funny, as you were posting this I was cropping the photo to post and point out the hood:

Old 03-22-2009, 08:27 PM
Received 506 Likes on 350 Posts

I like the hood scoop also. Hinge the hood from the front and you could leave the spine as it rises up the windshield. Reminiscent of the 55 Tbird.

The headlights carried up over the fender look great but how do you affect that? It would almost have to be a two piece assembly.

2.1 with the mid engine loses the long fron hood. Yet, I like it.

roadster with a stick

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 03-22-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:25 PM
Forum Regular

Alright, I finally got back from Taipei and had a chance to sketch some more on the next Crossfire, based on some of the comments and discussion.

Some of you thought the idea of putting it on the LX platform would make the Xfire too heavy and bulky, while taking it away from its original mission.

Crossfire 2.1 is what a mid-engined Crossfire might look like. Crossfire 2.2 is a more Corvette-like take on the next Xfire...Light, nimble and powerful, with more svelte and sexy proportions. I also tried a version of +fireamx's hood scoop...just to see what it would look like.
So Eric,

What pull do you still a have at chrysler to make this next gen happen?

Can you pull it off?

Old 03-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Forum Regular

I really like the ME Four-Twelve hood.

Attached Images

Last edited by Jeff Cobb; 03-22-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by nate_man
So Eric,

What pull do you still a have at chrysler to make this next gen happen?

Can you pull it off?

No pull whatsoever. I think the best case would be to wait until Chysler files CH11, get some investors together to buy the Crossfire patents/trademarks, and then get some more investors to start a new company and do it right! ...Kind of like the Shelby Cobra.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:40 AM
Forum Regular

This question is for the creator,

Just wondering why you didn't get an SRT for your personal car? Would have been easy enough for you to get one haha.

And why didnt they make the SRT's in more colours?

Old 03-23-2009, 06:48 AM

Y'know, one of the things that I like best about the design of our current Crossfires, is that they're not too out there in design. A classic clean sports car design that looks elegant and fast, just sitting there. A Cadillac CTS passed me yesterday, and while I admired the car for what it is, I just don't care for that Mad Max look of the razor's edge. To me it just loses something, maybe its the clear tie to the past Bugattis, MB's, Jags or Shelby's. I prefer the "feminine" line features of a sports car, versus the "masculine" lines of the hard chiseled edges, like a P/U. The softer rounded edges of the Tundra do nothing for me in design on that vehicle-and no, I'm not gay.

So while I appreciate the creative effort of design, the new one is not to my taste and probably wouldn't be in my garage, no matter how much I like my Cross-which I do, alot. But again, that's just me.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:26 AM
Forum Regular

I think they stuck with the colors least likely to draw police attention for the SRT's.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, I've got to say it's pretty flattering to have the "Original Designer" of our favorite car, take time out of his busy day to do a "New car concept sketch" and incorporate one of my controversial "ideas" into it.
Thanks so much Eric for the recognition. It's truly an honor.

Last edited by +fireamx; 03-23-2009 at 03:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Crossfire 2.0