Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Slippery clutch pedal problem

Old 11-29-2013, 05:02 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slippery clutch pedal problem

Perhaps, I'm the only one, but I am not at all comfortable with how slippery the clutch pedal is. Most of the time I have on my driving shoes, but for me the best way to press down on the pedal and be sure of not slipping off, is by centering my arch on the pedal.

And consequently I have to sit closer to the steering wheel than I'd like. Using a mirror I see that there is a wide band of rubber behind the pedal. I assume it is what the rubber buttons are attached to.

But I need an all rubber pedal. Has anyone found one that is a direct fit over the existing pedal? I'm guessing if I order enough pedal covers I can find one the right shape, but most likely it won't have enough 'depth' to slip over the pedal and the rubber behind. I do not want to cut off the rubber behind it.

Anyone know if the pedal assembly is Mercedes SLK or Chrysler? And if SLK did they come with rubber pedal covers?

Old 11-30-2013, 01:10 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Slippery clutch pedal problem

Wierd, I have never had a moments problem with any of the pedals on my car. The clutch pedal is actually a bit too grippy on my work boots causing me to sometimes almost kill it.

Sorry I dont have much to offer in a way of a solution to your problem. You could try cleaning them off really well with a degreaser, maybe there is something on the pedal making it slick for your shoes.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:50 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slippery clutch pedal problem

I will admit that my footwork isn't always as coordinated as it should be - though I've survived just fine until now with working a clutch.

The rounded and slick buttons, no doubt made of neoprene, do wear well, but don't have remotely the adhesion of say a tire tread...or an all rubber, non neoprene clutch pad.

I'm also used to a foot rest located next to the clutch pedal, so it then becomes a matter of lifting the foot and moving it right only a slight amount. I have no problems at all with the brake pedal, since it is next to the accelerator - and doesn't require pushing it all the way to the floor.

Bottom line is I feel it is what you are used to, and a very different 'feel' to the clutch pedal can throw ones timing off.

I suspect I'll be doing some modifying of the pedal and pad/cover.

Biba