Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Problem with 6 spd drivetrain

Old 11-03-2004, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Proble with 6spd drivetrain

Well I can't believe that any kind of knocking sound in the rear end is normal. There's no reason a drivetrain should be so sloppy that going from accelerating to coasting/braking should should create a reverberation thoughout the whole car. The dealer has had my car for three days but still hasn't come to any conclusions. One way or another I'll get to the bottom of it.

Old 11-04-2004, 03:45 PM

Well after 4 days the dealer has given up. They've heard the noise, taken the car apart, and have agreed the noise shouldn't be there. However, they have no solution to the problem, so they are giving me the car back. They said if the noise worsens then I should bring it back in, but in the mean time there's nothing they can do.

Old 11-04-2004, 04:13 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TSaxMan113
Well after 4 days the dealer has given up. They've heard the noise, taken the car apart, and have agreed the noise shouldn't be there. However, they have no solution to the problem, so they are giving me the car back. They said if the noise worsens then I should bring it back in, but in the mean time there's nothing they can do.
If the noise is really that bad, I wouldn't let them give up. If they can hear the noise and they agree that it is not normal, then that doesn't say much for their mechanics. Pick the car up so you can atleast drive the car you are paying for, but contact chrysler and talk to them about it.

Old 11-04-2004, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Heb80
If the noise is really that bad, I wouldn't let them give up. If they can hear the noise and they agree that it is not normal, then that doesn't say much for their mechanics. Pick the car up so you can atleast drive the car you are paying for, but contact chrysler and talk to them about it.
I'm definitely not finished with them yet. They've done something with the clutch and it feels much stiffer. So far I have not heard the noise since brining it home - even though they claim to have not done anything. When my survey comes in the mail I'm going to tell Chrysler exactly what I think about their 5 star dealer.

On a side note, 6 other minor complaints I had were not fixed and were regarded as "normal" including a rattling tail gate and squeaky rear shock.

Old 11-06-2004, 10:33 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know, I got the same treatment, when I sent a serious of emails to chryslers hub. I asked a bunch of questions about possible problems that you guys are experiencing. All they had for an answer was, You modified your car and there is nothing they can recomend, and to take it to my local 5 star dealer. I never once said that I had my intake system on there. I said that I'm designing a system, and still same responce. Some of the questions didn't have anything to do with air induction

Old 11-06-2004, 12:41 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by saskins
You know, I got the same treatment, when I sent a serious of emails to chryslers hub. I asked a bunch of questions about possible problems that you guys are experiencing. All they had for an answer was, You modified your car and there is nothing they can recomend, and to take it to my local 5 star dealer. I never once said that I had my intake system on there. I said that I'm designing a system, and still same responce. Some of the questions didn't have anything to do with air induction
Why in the world would you mention that you are modifying the intake when asking questions about the transmission? The fact that you mentioned it gives them an excuse. Try not mentioning modifications when trying to get warranty work resolved.

Old 11-18-2004, 02:23 PM
Forum Regular

I'm bumping this up because of the situation I just described in my other post "Loud BANG?". Soo Tsaxman has your car done the same thing since you brought it home?

One good thing about where I bought my car is I'm good friends with the family who owns the dealership.. so they always take good care of me, considering my entire family buys their cars there. I even just got my girlfriend a Jeep from them the other day. It's great having a relationship with your dealership like I do. Even the techs know me. I hate situations where you can just tell they don't want to help you out.. such as telling Tsaxman that his 5 other problems were 'normal'. Thats just poor customer service. Reminds me of a problem I had with my bank account for the past few days. I had to call customer service 5 times and explain the same thing until I found someone helpful enough to help me out, and actually fix the problem. The rest of them just kept passing the ball, from sending me to another department, or telling me to go into a branch. If your dealership isn't taking care of you, bring your car to another one. Plenty of dealers would love to do warranty work, because they get paid for all their parts and labor from DCX.

Also I hate when you go to buy a car and the salesman wants to act like he's your best friend. I'm strictly business.

Old 11-18-2004, 02:34 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NJspeed69
If your dealership isn't taking care of you, bring your car to another one. Plenty of dealers would love to do warranty work, because they get paid for all their parts and labor from DCX.

I may be wrong, but back in college one of my classmates was a tech at a dealer, and the way he explained it was that the pay rate was minimal to none for warranty work. That is why dealers often give a hard time about it.

Old 11-18-2004, 04:49 PM

To answer NJspeed69's question - The knocking sound is still there, but it's more muffled than it was before. When the tech's couldn't reproduce the problem on their 15 mile joy ride in my car they decided to take the back end apart anyway. They claimed they didn't do anything apart from having a look around, but taking it apart and putting it back together again did enough to alter the sound, but not eliminate it.

If the problem stays how it is now, then I'll let it go. I don't have time to be shuttling my car back and forth to the dealer for them to not be able to fix anything. If it gets any worse then I'll take appropriate actions to correct the situation.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by TSaxMan113
To answer NJspeed69's question - The knocking sound is still there, but it's more muffled than it was before. When the tech's couldn't reproduce the problem on their 15 mile joy ride in my car they decided to take the back end apart anyway. They claimed they didn't do anything apart from having a look around, but taking it apart and putting it back together again did enough to alter the sound, but not eliminate it.

If the problem stays how it is now, then I'll let it go. I don't have time to be shuttling my car back and forth to the dealer for them to not be able to fix anything. If it gets any worse then I'll take appropriate actions to correct the situation.
2004? Wow...it's been 3 years now. Was this ever fixed?

FYI - Mustang drivers have had this problem for a long time. It's called a "Mustang Clunk" and occurs due to a bad two-piece driveshaft and/or uj.