Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Traction Control

Old 11-01-2004, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction Control

The traction control is great feature on these cars, and wouldn't want to drive everyday without it. But even when I shut it off, it still cuts into hard shifts and aggressive launches. Is there anyway to completely shut it off? I mean beyond just flicking the switch...I just hate slamming it into to second and seeing that light blink and the revs drop...

Dave

Old 11-01-2004, 08:56 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Traction Control

Originally Posted by DavesX-fire
The traction control is great feature on these cars, and wouldn't want to drive everyday without it. But even when I shut it off, it still cuts into hard shifts and aggressive launches. Is there anyway to completely shut it off? I mean beyond just flicking the switch...I just hate slamming it into to second and seeing that light blink and the revs drop...

Dave
i researched this in-depth...and there is NO way to shut the system off "completely" unless you remove the fuse.

Old 10-07-2006, 06:53 PM

Hi Guys,

I was at a local dealership yesterday and was talking to the petrol-head salesman about removing traction control. He said that techs need to disable it completely for braking system checks, etc. where systems need to be isolated.

The procedure is to turn the ignition switch to the full on position without the engine running. Press the traction control button for 7 seconds. This will completely disable traction control.

We were talking about 300C and I asked if the Crossfire was the same and he said it was. We tried it last night on our 300C Hemi. At 7 seconds there was a single "beep" coming from somewhere. We took it for a bit of a test run but didn't notice anything radical but there was a difference - need more time to play with it. Will try the Crossfire today some time.

Old 10-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Forum Regular

GREAT information Brother... hooah...

Old 10-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xfire downunder
Hi Guys,

I was at a local dealership yesterday and was talking to the petrol-head salesman about removing traction control. He said that techs need to disable it completely for braking system checks, etc. where systems need to be isolated.

The procedure is to turn the ignition switch to the full on position without the engine running. Press the traction control button for 7 seconds. This will completely disable traction control.

We were talking about 300C and I asked if the Crossfire was the same and he said it was. We tried it last night on our 300C Hemi. At 7 seconds there was a single "beep" coming from somewhere. We took it for a bit of a test run but didn't notice anything radical but there was a difference - need more time to play with it. Will try the Crossfire today some time.
Great info xfire_downunder, but have you tried this on the Crossfire yet? This was one of the first things the guy at the dyno shop tried when we were trying to get a full run as he said it works on most systems, but nothing happened. I have since tried it myself without success. Perhaps we were pressing the button in the wrong direction. I'll try again.

Last edited by woody; 10-09-2006 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:49 PM

It might work if the Crossfire were an American car, but its not.
Its probably nothing like a 300C when it comes to the systems used for TC and ESP.

Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with the TC turning off completely? Im not talking about doing a dyno, just street driving.

Because in my car, when I turn off the TC, the light comes on in the cluster, and it will let me have all the fun I want.
I can do brake torques and spin the tires all day long, I can drift it around a 90 degree corner and the light just flashes, but nothing else happens, no rpm drops, no applying the brakes or anything.

Lately though, I've been leaving it on when cornering, and just laying into it...and I must say, I'm impressed with how well it will corner at high speed with the TC on vs off.

I tested it out one day because I just figured it would put a damper on things by dropping rpm's and applying the brakes...but I was wrong...
I took a country road with a 90 degree turn at a certain speed twice, once with the TC on, and once with it off.

With it off, as I would get into the throttle mid turn, the car would slide into a drift as it exited the turn, which is very fun and feels cool, but...
With the TC on, same speed as before, I could lay into the throttle mid turn and I ever so slightly felt the brakes acting on certain wheels as it just hugged the turn and I almost over steered the corner, all while exiting the turn faster then before with it off!

Last edited by Eracer76; 10-09-2006 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eracer76
Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with the TC turning off completely? I'm not talking about doing a dyno, just street driving.
No, I have absolutely no problem in daily driving either. Even with it left on it never really intrudes. I have never really understood all the fuss about the 'should I switch it on or off in the wet or dry?' debates. People seem to assume that if the system kicks in it is the system's fault, not the fact they were probably doing something they shouldn't. You can drive these cars (6 speed] very hard, even in the wet, without the system kicking in. You just need to be smooth and have feel for the conditions.

Old 10-09-2006, 06:13 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Eracer76,

Your Crossfire is the same as mine ('05 SRT6, Black even... ) and I have yet to try all the fun things you have "allegedly" done. Just no real isolated places around here where I wouldn't get caught.

Anyways, I wonder if it's the difference of the Auto-Stick versus the Manual 6-speed that causes the TC to 'intrude' on some people?

I mean when you were doing these 'drifts', where you pushing the RPMs on your SRT6 above 2,500? 5,000?

Old 10-09-2006, 07:18 PM

Obviously the 300C is different to the Crossfire - I tried it and the TC still works in the background when it is "off".

I agree TC is a good thing and there is nothing wrong with the system. The last car I had as a daily driver before the Crossfire (that I've only owned about 4-5 weeks) was a '73 2-door Chrysler V8, 3.7 LSD and as raw as it was, there was a lot of fun that I had that can't be had in the Crossfire. Obviously the old one didn't have heated seats, electric windows and an engine that will start anywhere, anytime.

It's probably human nature to just want more- or maybe it's just me??

Old 10-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Forum Regular

I've been able to slide my XF around corners, but you have to disable the ESP system for that to work. Oh and the only switch that beeps after depressing it for 7 seconds is the spoiler switch, not the traction control...

Old 10-09-2006, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
Eracer76,

Your Crossfire is the same as mine ('05 SRT6, Black even... ) and I have yet to try all the fun things you have "allegedly" done. Just no real isolated places around here where I wouldn't get caught.

Anyways, I wonder if it's the difference of the Auto-Stick versus the Manual 6-speed that causes the TC to 'intrude' on some people?

I mean when you were doing these 'drifts', where you pushing the RPMs on your SRT6 above 2,500? 5,000?
Yeah, I'm pretty lucky to have some open country roads (in the middle of corn fields) within 10 min from my subdivision.

I wonder if your right about the 6-speed vs auto's as far as the TC still acting when turned off...or maybe its a SRT vs non-SRT difference?

Because like I was saying before, I don't have to disable the system by pulling fuses or what not. All I have to do is turn it off via the switch to have all the fun I want, weather it be smoking the tires off or sliding the car around a turn.

Yes I can slide all 4 tires/drift the car coming out of a turn at 60 mph with the rpm's well above 2,500, probably in the range of 4k if I had to guess...my eyes were glued on the road, but I know the rpms were up there.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:37 PM

Here's the other question then... I noticed that you have the Renntech Performance Package. Does this include an ECU upgrade?

If so, then maybe it's affected differently now by the ESP and TC?

I'd have to try 'playing' with mine to see, as mine is still bone stock (aside from the Sprint Booster).

Old 10-10-2006, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
Here's the other question then... I noticed that you have the Renntech Performance Package. Does this include an ECU upgrade?

If so, then maybe it's affected differently now by the ESP and TC?

I'd have to try 'playing' with mine to see, as mine is still bone stock (aside from the Sprint Booster).
Yes the Renntech package I got included the ECU upgrade.
I don't think that's the difference though, I'm pretty sure the TC/ESP is a separate system/computer in the car.
I could be wrong though.
Bob at Renntech even said the transmission has its own controller (when I asked about shift points).

Old 10-10-2006, 04:29 AM

Yes the Renntech package I got included the ECU upgrade.
I don't think that's the difference though, I'm pretty sure the TC/ESP is a separate system/computer in the car.
I could be wrong though.
Bob at Renntech even said the transmission has its own controller (when I asked about shift points).
Yes, there are several controller 'boxes' or computers in this automobile. The question is, did the change to the ECU allow the TC/ESP to get COMPLETELY turned off on your car unlike most others who have tried to simply 'press the switch'?

I think I will go out and see if I can rip it a few times with the TC/ESP on, then off and see if I can get the same results you are showing.

If not, then I suspect the answer to my above question is 'yes'.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by andrew
i researched this in-depth...and there is NO way to shut the system off "completely" unless you remove the fuse.
So remove the fuse there's ur answer . When I hold TCS button off for ten seconds TCS light turns off. why?

Old 11-08-2017, 08:23 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Rsoe
So remove the fuse there's ur answer . When I hold TCS button off for ten seconds TCS light turns off. why?
This thread is 11 years old, start a new one.

The following users liked this post:
Danman_81 (01-17-2021)