Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Considering 2007 XFire

Old 01-23-2014, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering 2007 XFire

I am looking at a 2007 Oyster Gold Metallic Coupe, with the Slate Gray/Cedar interior with 14,079 miles on the odometer. The dealer is asking over $13000. for the car.

I have not seen the vehicle in person, due to the bad weather we have been having and the 200 miles drive. I have seen the posted photos and the car looks immaculate.

I am curious, does this XFire have the Lifetime warranty on the drive train?

Was this color a one off..I seem to remember it was only one year.

And, the price seems excessive, even with just 14000 miles. He has had the car in stock for quite some time and I was thinking of an initial offer of $9000. Your comments and/or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Re: Considering 2007 XFire

Sounds like you are looking at a real gem. In my book, low mileage and well cared for is top priority. If you look at CarMax comparable mileage/prices (as examples), Crossfires sell for a lot more than $13000 through CarMax. They can push $18,000 or more easily with such low mileage. Sure, maybe other dealers may negotiate but can you trust anything that comes from a dealer's statements about history of the vehicle? I almost purchased an 05 from a dealer but it was really an 04. They came down in price, had relatively low mileage but I had no confidence in what I was buying, nor did they. The dealer rotated the tires from front to back. When I test drove the vehicle, the tires of course rubbed. I eventually purchased my CF from a private owner,paid $14995 for an 07. Owner says there were a few chips right in eyesight so he replaced the front windshield, lifetime warranty. He also replaced 4 tires (all receipts provided). I purchased a 5 year extended warranty from Chrysler for the piece of mind, Mercedes repairs can be very pricey. If you buy the extended warranty, be sure to shop several Chrysler dealers, the extended warranty from dealer to dealer had a HUGE spread. Yes, the Crossfire can sit for quite a while at a dealer since the audience is scarce. Unknown what your dealer may have in it to make a decent profit. The gems on CarMax don't seem to last long. I poke around from time to time and see what CarMax has in stock across the country , also private sellers, too. If you like the car, you can try to negotiate but a 200 mile drive to the dealer? If I were the dealer and you offered me $4000 less than what was the asking price, I would not respond. But then, in January with less car sales, you may have a very motivated dealer. I have purchased 2 vehicles in Jan through the years, (not CF) and the dealers are motivated in winter months. As long as CF's don't break down and you get hit with pricey repairs, albeit the extended warranty, the CF is great fun. Just a suggestion; stay out of the snow. One red beauty parked in my neighborhood looks like he slid into something, like the car in front of him. The bumper is kinda OK but his front grill is gone. Very sad to see a hurt Crossfire. I have also read that (some) Crossfire parts can be hard to find. Go for it, it's a fun car to drive, no question about it and it's unique.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:55 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Re: Considering 2007 XFire

I have an 07 Coupe with a lot more miles but in great condition for a 1st (for me) Crossfire.

There are some differences particularly the knee airbags if you need to take the dash apart. Make certain all of the dash lights work because it is a pain getting to them.

In your part of the country and particularly a coupe I would want to put the car on a lift and check very closely for rust, it is a matter of age and exposure not miles (whenever I take a car to the beach stay as far from the surf as possible, chose windless days, & pressure wash everything on return taking particular care of the undercarriage).

Also if you get an extended warranty accept only a Chrysler backed warranty such as a maxlife or added care plus. Check with http://www.chryslerfactorywarranty.net/ or other factory suppliers. With a Chrysler plan the contract is tied to your VIN, is viewable online, and available at any C-J-F dealer.

ps if you request a quote, wait a few days and you will probably get a discount code for a few hundred dollars off the quoted price.

Good luck.

Last edited by Padgett; 02-03-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:08 PM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oyster Gold is pretty rare. I believe it's only a one year color. These cars are fun, solid and in my opinion, $13,000 for an 07 with that low miles is a good deal. Offer what you want, but don't let it get away from you if you really want it. I have an 04 with $31,000 miles on it and I wouldn't sell it for for much less that $13,000 either. The TMV for these cars varies but I'd say a range for a good to excellent Crossfire is about $11,000 to $15000 mileage and other factors dependant. I did a quick review on Edmunds and dealer retail was about $12,800. Trade in was around $8,900. An offer somewhere in between, depending on the other facters (1 owner, etc. etc.) would likely work depending on how motivated they are.

Last edited by PNA; 02-03-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:38 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks like the price has dropped to $12,337..

Used Chrysler Crossfire For Sale - CarGurus

Old 02-03-2014, 03:09 PM

That is a pretty car but needs a thorough checkout for example why is the spoiler deployed ? Also if original 07 tires then are approaching 7 years old (bargaining points).

That said for some reason there are A Lot of Crossfires for sale in Florida.

Good I see you have had one before so must fit.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I still have not been able to make a trip to look at it due to the weather. The car is a manual and appears well cared for, but I need a close up and personal look, plus a test drive. My '05 was purchased new in Dallas (Denton, TX) and driven daily for almost four years while I was there. It was trouble free, but was rear ended by an idiot In a old Mazda who was on his cell phone. I was stopped at a light, he stopped and then drove into me. Only $1200 in damage, to the bumper cover and tail pipes, but it really ticked me off. I finally sold it and left it there when we moved to South Dakota, and I have had sellers regret for a while. This one would be a summer only car. I have a '13 SHO for winter driving and my wife's Jeep. So it would be stored over the winter. I am hoping that is what the previous owner did as they are salting the roads like there is no tomorrow.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:59 PM

Hope for your sake it was, I spent a number of years in Indiana & Michigan and salt damage is forever.

In the current decade things like Bluetooth and Aux Jacks are much more evident (and is nice to be able to check for trouble codes with my telephone) but easy to fix and are a couple of threads here on how.

Like the manual trans (one of the reasons I bought a Crossfire) but may be making it harder for a dealer to sell) and have come to appreciate things like ABS and traction control.

All that remains is for someone to reverse engineer the PCM so that we can bypass some things (like the SKREEM) if needful. Will happen. At least it does not need a reflash to change the radio.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:14 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Padgett
All that remains is for someone to reverse engineer the PCM so that we can bypass some things (like the SKREEM) if needful. Will happen.
No... It wont. You do not understand the sophistication of the M112/M113 PCM's. It may be made by bosch but all bosch did was throw hardware on a circuit board. Mercedes software engineer's, I will argue, are the best on the planet. So will my dad who sat and watched me reverse engineer these, and re-engineer my own. He designs Rocket motor electronic's HW and SW with people like NASA and different AFB's accross the country, and was thoroughly impressed/confused.

Now replacing the SKREEM with a DAS module? Maybe. I'll be working on that at some point to get all of the modules Mercedes for better Star communication.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:46 PM

There are a few that live deep in bits & bytes and others with a bit of experience in making FADEC and quad-redundant flight controls work

Not a common discipline it's true but a few have some knowledge and they mostly talk to each other. Have had some dealings with people at Bosch in Warren but mainly problems with rendering .SVGs.

Freely admit am a newbie to the Crossfire but not to electronics or engines some of which are used in automobiles.

Do suspect we might be able to help each other is some ways but if I think a design is a kludge, I tend to call it a kludge even if from Merc. (and generally the low level types like engineers wind up agreeing).

Last edited by Padgett; 02-03-2014 at 06:49 PM.