Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Tinted windows or not?

Old 02-13-2005, 05:21 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tinted windows or not?

I am thinking of tinting the windows on my Graphite coupe. Anyone think of any reason why I shouldn't. I am going with a legal here 35% light transmission film. If you have pics of your tint job post them here.

Old 02-13-2005, 07:56 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Tinted windows or not?

i have 50% and think it looks classy b/c it isn't too dark (looks dark in photo due to back drop)...35% is too dark for my taste.

Old 02-13-2005, 08:01 PM
Forum Regular

Andrew, did you do the back window also?

Old 02-13-2005, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by knowit
Andrew, did you do the back window also?
yes. 50% all the way around...less the front due to the law. here is a better photo with a lighter back drop. my interior is slate.

Old 02-13-2005, 08:07 PM
Forum Regular

Damn. That is one clean CF you have there. Did you do the tint yourself?

Old 02-13-2005, 08:09 PM
Administrator

no...i had it done professionally. about $125.

Old 02-13-2005, 08:58 PM

Knowit, get the tint done. At the very least it will help keep the ultra violet light off your interior. I've got 50% on the door windows and 35% on the little rear windows and the hatch window (lowest legal in Virginia). I think it helps make the car look more sleek than it already is. Don't get the cheap stuff either.

Old 02-13-2005, 09:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It was one of the first things I did over a year ago. 35% on the rear hatch, 35% on the rear sides, 20% on the doors and 35% as a 4" strip following the curvature of the top of the windshield. I think the cost was $220

Old 02-14-2005, 09:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just remember that the amount of tint on the windows goes by the state you are driving in. Not the state your car is registered in. So if in NJ and they don't let you tint the windows as much as the state you live in your tint is not leagel.

Old 02-14-2005, 11:35 AM

Do you think that it would look ok on a roadster, just the back window and the side windows? I have been thinking of this for a while too.

Old 02-14-2005, 05:34 PM

yes I live in ohio and they allow tinted license plate glass. I got pulled over in North Carolina and the statie got real nasty. He almost threatened to make me take it apart there. If you tint in a state that doesn't allow it, they can not let you drive it until you fix it. Hell they just about can do anything they want if it is legal for them to do it or not. Don't **** them off. It won't be in you best interests. Depends on the mood of the statie or local policeman. I would say pig, but there may be some law enforcement guys on here. I personally think that any policeman that has nothing better to do than pull over an out-of-state tourist to harass them for tint ought to be called a pig.

Old 02-14-2005, 06:39 PM

I don't know how the police deal in Germany, but I was going slow in an off ramp when I got pulled over for the tinted plate cover in a new cadillac and was about 58 at the time. I did nothing to **** him off. Here in Ohio, the state highway patrol has no other function(that they make any attempt to do) other than generate revenue from writing tickets. I don't know anyone here who is not related to one that has any respect for them. They hide in the medians in the first twenty miles in ohio(speed limit 65) coming from west viginia where the speed limit is 70 and try to nail someone not paying attention to the speed limit change. I have seen 10 them every 5 miles hiding behind barracades on the ohio turnpike. I don't see how a statie can sleep at night knowing that all they have done all day is ruin the days of the 20 or so people they stopped. You really have to hate the world to do a job like that. by the way I can't remember the last time I gota ticket from them. But I have seen them speed by someone broken down to chase a speeder. Don't tell me that they are doing it for our safety either. We have section on our interstates that the speed limit drops from 65 to 55 without any on ramps that increase the traffic flow and out in the middle of the country. The only purpose I can see is speed traps. We had a trooper get hit as he was writing a ticket in ohio last year, so the state passed a law that if a policeman was on the side of the road you had to pull over if you could or slow down if you couldn't. 1 day after the law was passed I was in the right lane about a quarter of a mile from my exit going about 55 in a 65. I passed a cop with someone pulled over and he comes out wheels peeling and pulls in front of me on the exit ramp beginning and another driver who was going straight and tries to flag us both over. The other guy keep going straight and I stopped. So he gets out and strarts screaming at me asking if I ever read the paper or read the news. I responded No because our local paper is a rag with no news and I don't waste time watching the local news and all their sensationalism. All I watch is the national news. At the time I knew nothing of the law and wasn't even sure what he was talking about the cop getting hit. He was certainly not pleasant. He screamed that he could give me a ticket, impound my car etc. For a minute I thought he was the officer from Alice's Restaurant. He detained me for about 10 minutes before letting me go. There was no way I would normaly pull over one lane and then pull back into the right lane in a matter of a 100yds, even if I knew of the law. It would have been unsafe driving. I think 90% of the guys that sign up for the state patrol(not local police who actually do police work) are in for the ego boost and the ability to boss around someone.

Old 02-14-2005, 07:25 PM

afwill
do you mean that you are not fair in your passing out of your "justice" I thought that everyone deserved to be treated fairly and the same. Now you admit that tinting is an add-on if you don't like someones attitude that you pull over. What the hell are we supposed to do? smile and kiss your *** for taking $200 out of our wallets, and raising our insurance rates? Come on get real! We may deserve the ticket but you sure as hell can't expect us to be happy about it. If we aren't you are going to tack another violation on it. Talk about big ego's and controlling attitude!

Old 02-15-2005, 05:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont forget all windows have some tint to them. If your limit is 35 and you apply 35 film it will measure out to dark for your state. Make sure you tell the tinter you want it at 35(or your limit) when it is done.

Old 02-15-2005, 05:52 PM

I did 50% smoke. I think with 35% it will be to dark. People I know that have it that dark wish they hadn't went so dark and have switched to 50% or they are going to.