Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Radio Upgrade Kenwood KMR-D588bt or D56bt ?

Old 11-23-2015, 02:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Radio Upgrade Kenwood KMR-D588bt or D56bt ?

Sorry ment D558bt in title
Thinking of upgrading to a bluetooth radio and have seen these two recommended on the forum. Kenwood KMR-D558bt and Kenwood KMR-D562bt.
Confused on what is the difference, and which one is better and easier to install ?
Any help would be great !

Last edited by Ralph289; 11-23-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Radio Upgrade Kenwood KMR-D588bt or D56bt ?

Originally Posted by Ralph289
Sorry ment D558bt in title
Thinking of upgrading to a bluetooth radio and have seen these two recommended on the forum. Kenwood KMR-D558bt and Kenwood KMR-D562bt.
Confused on what is the difference, and which one is better and easier to install ?
Any help would be great !
I think the D562BT is just the newer one, looks like they also came out with a KMR-D365BT, I don't think the 3 series have a door on the CD, but I really can't tell all of the differences.
KMR-D562BT | Marine | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | KENWOOD USA
And if you hover over "Marine" you can see the other offerings. They also have a CD Free one. I installed the one in my signature and I am pleased with it, my only real complaint is the front facing USB port, I wish it was cabled out the back, then I would route to glovebox or console. I typically use a mini 16GB USB drive like this in it and you don't even notice it.
Amazon.com: SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 16GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive- SDCZ33-016G-B35: Electronics Amazon.com: SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 16GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive- SDCZ33-016G-B35: Electronics
Dang, under $6 now!

Old 11-23-2015, 03:41 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the 562 unit. Only complaint is you cant see the display in the sun. Here is the radio and the adapters you will also need.

Kmr-D562bt $117.55 shipped Kenwood Kmr-D562bt Cd Stereo With Bluetooth

Scosche harness adapter $4.98 shipped Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Scosche VW01B Power/Speaker Connector for 1986-Up Volkswagen

Metra antennae adapter $4.39 shipped Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Metra 40-EU10 VW /BMW/Euro Car to Male Motorola Vehicle Antenna Adapter

Old 11-23-2015, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by pioneer4x4
I think the D562BT is just the newer one, looks like they also came out with a KMR-D365BT, I don't think the 3 series have a door on the CD, but I really can't tell all of the differences.
KMR-D562BT | Marine | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | KENWOOD USA
And if you hover over "Marine" you can see the other offerings. They also have a CD Free one. I installed the one in my signature and I am pleased with it, my only real complaint is the front facing USB port, I wish it was cabled out the back, then I would route to glovebox or console. I typically use a mini 16GB USB drive like this in it and you don't even notice it.
Amazon.com: SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 16GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive- SDCZ33-016G-B35: Electronics
Dang, under $6 now!
Great idea the small USB.....added it to my Amazon cart with the rest of the stuff I will need.
Question: If you have the usb in there playing music and a call comes in does it mute the music while your on the phone ?
Thanks

Old 11-23-2015, 04:19 PM

Is the display hard to read in the Coupe too ?
Thanks for the help guys !

Old 11-23-2015, 04:23 PM

Great idea the small USB.....added it to my Amazon cart with the rest of the stuff I will need.
Question: If you have the usb in there playing music and a call comes in does it mute the music while your on the phone ?
Thanks
Yes, I typically listen to Audiobooks, or classic rock... If a call comes in you just hit that button on the left of the dial that is lit up to answer or hang up. I think it actually pauses playback, not just muting, so you pick up where you left off. That is very handy for audio books, I am not positive but I think it pauses. Either way, when you hit that button, all you have is phone call audio.
One thing about it appearance wise (other than the poor visibility in sunlight, that is true) is the front panel and trim are thicker at the bottom so the face seems to tilt up a smidge, looking like the radio is down in the back. I found on mine, it looks a little better with the trim piece, not fully in place with the top popped out, that helps fill the gap.
This is what I mean

It is only about 1/8" difference but it helps. I can't find a good picture to compare, I'll look.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by pioneer4x4
Yes, I typically listen to Audiobooks, or classic rock... If a call comes in you just hit that button on the left of the dial that is lit up to answer or hang up. I think it actually pauses playback, not just muting, so you pick up where you left off. That is very handy for audio books, I am not positive but I think it pauses. Either way, when you hit that button, all you have is phone call audio.
One thing about it appearance wise (other than the poor visibility in sunlight, that is true) is the front panel and trim are thicker at the bottom so the face seems to tilt up a smidge, looking like the radio is down in the back. I found on mine, it looks a little better with the trim piece, not fully in place with the top popped out, that helps fill the gap.
This is what I mean

It is only about 1/8" difference but it helps. I can't find a good picture to compare, I'll look.
Thanks, I understand about the tilt I read that somewhere here before, got the idea. And thanks for explaining the way the phone works !

Old 11-23-2015, 04:31 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the same usb also and it works great, you can put a ton of music on that tiny stick.

You can set up the radio to answer on its own. You don't have to press the source button if you don't want. The amount of rings before it picks up is a setting too. The volume is plenty loud. It even works with my dumb phone.

If you set the color of the display to match the dash it will be hard to see in the sun coupe or not.

Last edited by Travish; 11-23-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Travish
I use the same usb also and it works great, you can put a ton of music on that tiny stick.

You can set up the radio to answer on its own. You don't have to press the source button if you don't want. The amount of rings before it picks up is a setting too. The volume is plenty loud. It even works with my dumb phone.
Cool ! Will have to read the manual when I get it .

Old 11-23-2015, 04:55 PM

I need to re-read the phone stuff as well. I have only made one call with it so far, but it worked fine. Scrolled through my phone list OK.
Also, this radio has a ton of audio settings. You can reduce the output from 0-8, and when using the speaker outs, you can overdrive the amp in the car. When I set the Kenwood to "-8" (the lowest setting) you can turn it to max volume and not get distortion, but it is very loud. Seems to be close to factory output, but I didn't go back and forth comparing.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:56 PM
Received 546 Likes on 460 Posts

I never read the manuals, I should but I don't, most manuals these days assume you know something about these new gizmos, I don't so I find that frustrating. It is much easier to ask my son or if he's not around get the 5 year old kid next door to sort it.