Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

The bell tolls for thee Crossfire...

Old 07-19-2016, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The bell tolls for thee Crossfire...

What vehicle are some of you guys looking at as a potential replacement for your Crossie when it is time for the big boneyard in the sky?

Bought my '04 in 2010 for $11,500 with 17,000 miles on it - and drive it every day like I stole it, still looks great and runs as well as the did the day I brought it home but think this is going to be my last year in the club

6 yrs, 70,000 miles, 10 oil changes, RCM solder fix, 3 sets of tires, a new head unit - this car has been one of the most reliable, inexpensive to own vehicles I have ever had.

But, they aren't making them any more, and the last one rolled off an assembly line in Germany a decade ago....

Got 87,000 miles on the clock now, key is getting sticky and that will be the last fix I do on the car - plan to run her all the way up to 100,000 miles and hand her off to one of my nieces or nephews that could use a car - probably next Spring.

Have had so much fun daily driving such a unique and unusual car, have been looking around for something with some of the same characteristics - capable performance, low production numbers, good looking design.

Leaning toward the Aussie built (Holman) Chevrolet SS - not sure how in love with the look I am, but man, that car sure posts some impressive performance numbers and you don't see many of them on the road - performance wise it is a 4 door camaro SS.

And, as of 2015 Chevy started offering it with a manual transmission - think that is the next hoopty..

Anyone have one of these? Think they only sell a couple thousand a year, adequate successor to the Crossfire?

SC

Old 07-19-2016, 05:34 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: The bell tolls for thee Crossfire....

Originally Posted by Spoonchucker
What vehicle are some of you guys looking at as a potential replacement for your Crossie when it is time for the big boneyard in the sky?

Bought my '04 in 2010 for $11,500 with 17,000 miles on it - and drive it every day like I stole it, still looks great and runs as well as the did the day I brought it home but think this is going to be my last year in the club

6 yrs, 70,000 miles, 10 oil changes, RCM solder fix, 3 sets of tires, a new head unit - this car has been one of the most reliable, inexpensive to own vehicles I have ever had.

But, they aren't making them any more, and the last one rolled off an assembly line in Germany a decade ago....

Got 87,000 miles on the clock now, key is getting sticky and that will be the last fix I do on the car - plan to run her all the way up to 100,000 miles and hand her off to one of my nieces or nephews that could use a car - probably next Spring.

Have had so much fun daily driving such a unique and unusual car, have been looking around for something with some of the same characteristics - capable performance, low production numbers, good looking design.

Leaning toward the Aussie built (Holman) Chevrolet SS - not sure how in love with the look I am, but man, that car sure posts some impressive performance numbers and you don't see many of them on the road - performance wise it is a 4 door camaro SS.

And, as of 2015 Chevy started offering it with a manual transmission - think that is the next hoopty..

Anyone have one of these? Think they only sell a couple thousand a year, adequate successor to the Crossfire?

SC
Uncle, I bet we have both changed since the last time we met. I am sure we would not recognize one another these days. Let me know when you are giving me the car and I will come and pick it up, that will be the first time we have met in ages.
Mom says you were always a generous guy and a sweet talker, she talks of you fondly. As you know I never knew who my father was, but mom says I look a lot like you, I remember you dropping by a lot in the old days, giving me money to go and play outside.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:43 PM

Uncle, I bet we have both changed since the last time we met. I am sure we would not recognize one another these days. Let me know when you are giving me the car and I will come and pick it up, that will be the first time we have met in ages.
Mom says you were always a generous guy and a sweet talker, she talks of you fondly. As you know I never knew who my father was, but mom says I look a lot like you, I remember you dropping by a lot in the old days, giving me money to go and play outside.

Jr? Is that you? LOL - hand off does not mean give away, they get the family deal but still gotta pay.

Holden not Holman of Australia makes the SS

Old 07-19-2016, 06:11 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I will probably go smaller to a Mazda Miata. Crossfire is a great car and I hope to drive it for may more years but has too much technology for my taste. My impression (I may be wrong) of the Miata is that it is a simpler car.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:37 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2005 Blue Crossfire
I will probably go smaller to a Mazda Miata. Crossfire is a great car and I hope to drive it for may more years but has too much technology for my taste. My impression (I may be wrong) of the Miata is that it is a simpler car.
By the time you move to a Miata simpler won't be the criteria for your decision. You will be looking at smaller, as in much smaller & if you have added to your girth you may no longer fit. Miata's are really small cars even though they are a really great bang for your money.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:42 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just test drove a BMW Z4 and really liked the ride and effortless driving. But, I will keep my Crossfire as she only has 147k on the clock and I'm aiming for 200k

Old 07-19-2016, 11:29 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Spoonchucker, Since I love Sports Cars more than any other type of car, I don't think I could ever replace the Crossfire with a 4dr. vehicle. (No matter how well it performed). To me, I'd feel like I sold out to conformity. One of the best things about the Crossfire is its uniqueness, not to mention it's performance and dependability. It's "fun per mile" ability makes it a first pick for me, (weather permitting) for any drive. The longer the better. That being said, I know there may come a day when I need a year round driver. I would consider the BRZ, it performs nearly identically, Handling is rated fantastic, and it's in my general price range. But before jumping ship, I would probably search far and wide looking for another super low mileage XF. I sincerely love this car, it never ceases to amaze me how well it suits me. It's the perfect size, and it satisfies all my driving expectations. I could easily picture myself driving a Crossfire for another 10 years.

Last edited by +fireamx; 07-20-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:18 AM
Forum Regular
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I once owned a 2010 Holden SSV 6LV8 ( aka a Pontiac G8) it is a very close relation of the Chevy SS.
It was a great car , Fast handled and room for the family too but these Holdens are everywhere here in Oz and i hate backseats .

So boring to me

Then i got an Srt-6 and i have not looked back!

crossfires are Art on wheels.

Last edited by daveesrt6; 07-20-2016 at 05:49 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:46 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

'15-'17 VW GTi.

Need room for the dog (big) and the wife (luggage).

Old 07-20-2016, 11:03 AM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

SC
i have no suggestion but wanted to thank you for sharing this tale of long term ownership. I bet there are bunch of ex wives wishing they were so loved when the husband started looking around.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:10 AM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep the Crossfire and buy the SS or the G8. I have both. Love both. The G8, IMHO, is better looking than the SS anyway. I see more Crossfires than I do G8's. Only 2 years of run in the US. Fun, functional, fast, still get comments on it and very comfortable. Beware though, they hold their prices well. You may need to pay a premium for a good low mileage one. The G8 is my daily. The SS will have newer technology though. Fun to contemplate new or additions to the car collection though. I'm waiting for the new Camaro based Buick though.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:24 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon
'15-'17 VW GTi.

Need room for the dog (big) and the wife (luggage).

Oh my... Oh my my... Not going there... Nope, sure not going there...

Old 07-20-2016, 09:32 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Runner
By the time you move to a Miata simpler won't be the criteria for your decision. You will be looking at smaller, as in much smaller & if you have added to your girth you may no longer fit. Miata's are really small cars even though they are a really great bang for your money.

The Miata is only a couple of inches smaller than the Crossie on the outside and not much inside either.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:54 AM
Wink Re: The bell tolls for thee Crossfire...

SC
Hellcat would be more fun and what do you have against your nephew(s) and niece(s)? Unless they are mechanically incline and willing to perform the future repairs, might be in over their heads? Just a thought.....

Old 07-21-2016, 03:03 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: The bell tolls for thee Crossfire...

I've had my Crossfire since '09 and don't plan on getting rid of it anytime in the near future, but when I do, it will likely be replaced by either a Jaguar F-Type, Porsche Boxter, or BMW Z4 (convertible, of course).

Old 07-21-2016, 05:01 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by DKAwildcat
I've had my Crossfire since '09 and don't plan on getting rid of it anytime in the near future, but when I do, it will likely be replaced by either a Jaguar F-Type, Porsche Boxter, or BMW Z4 (convertible, of course).
I would imagine that the service of these vehicles will be quite expensive, so start saving now.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to keep mine for the long haul. See what happens to prices at the magical 25 year mark.

In the meantime I'm trying to pick up a Prowler and maybe an older Viper if I can strike the right deal. A Chrysler TC is also on my list.

Old 07-23-2016, 02:47 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We tested the water a few years back on maybe trading our Crossfire in , we found like others here that try to sale or trade for some reason always try to low ball you out of it, we had the Crossfire going on 11 years Sept. 15 and it still a joy to Drive so we kept it and 4 years ago we pick up a another fun car to drive , So we pick up a 2007 Corvette in Atomic Orange , I can only tell you this the two cars are night and day in the way they drive, not in a bad way, but in fun way . I don:t think the Crossfire going anywhere soon LOL

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN2793.jpg (2.68 MB, 9 views)
DSCN2969.jpg (2.05 MB, 7 views)
079.jpg (2.83 MB, 8 views)
Old 07-24-2016, 10:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If mine gets crunched, I'll buy another low mileage one. Probably SRT6 roadster this time.

They'll be selling for $562.00 by then, so will pick up an extra one for a spare...LOL
(I know everyone keeps hoping the prices start back up, but I'm happy they are low as it seems only those 'in the know' want them, and we can afford to buy more that way.)

I have a box of spare parts for the most common problems. I really don't think mine is going anywhere forever unless the repair cost goes beyond the cost of getting another one. Probably let my daughter drive it in 11-12 years, she loves it too.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No reason to think prices won't peak up in about 10 years. The best comparison I can offer is the Chrysler TC. Like Crossfire this also was a collaboration project with another automaker. 3 years ago a running example of a TC could be bought for around $3500. Today you can't touch one in running condition for less than $7500. What changed? Nothing, other than it's now over 25 years old. Same with Plymouth Prowler prices keep going up and it hasn't reached 25 years yet. Five years ago a Ferarri Testarossa could be had for $35,000. Now they start at $80,000 for a model with unknown service history. Again nothing changed other than it passed 25 years old.

Crossfire has a far more passionate following than TC ever did. It's virtually impossible to believe it won't become collectible, it's too much of a historical anomaly not to be. Definitely buy up what you can though, prices will still fall for a few more years. In an ideal world I'd have a place to keep a scrap unit for parts.