Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

LED vs HID

Old 12-24-2016, 10:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LED vs HID

What are your thoughts on LED vs HID headlights? I'm getting tired of my halogen lights being so dark and want to cross over to the brighter headlights. From what I've read HID conversion kits are a bit of a pain to install. I'm looking at the following LED lights at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/OPT7-Headligh...eadlights&th=1

This one is also a kit and I'm not sure how difficult it is it install for a non-mechanic types like me.

I'm also looking at this HID kit too.

https://www.amazon.com/Kensun-Conver...headlight+bulb

I would appreciate any feedback on these products, what you have tried, and just a general discussion about this topic. Thanks.

Old 12-25-2016, 01:15 AM
Forum Regular
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Re: LED vs HID

Originally Posted by BlazingSaddle
What are your thoughts on LED vs HID headlights? I'm getting tired of my halogen lights being so dark and want to cross over to the brighter headlights. From what I've read HID conversion kits are a bit of a pain to install. I'm looking at the following LED lights at Amazon.

This one is also a kit and I'm not sure how difficult it is it install for a non-mechanic types like me.

I would appreciate any feedback on these products, what you have tried, and just a general discussion about this topic. Thanks.
I've had the Kensun 6000k HIDs in for about eight months, no complaints at all. I'm not sure our cars are ideal for LED headlights as the put off so much heat from what I've read anyways. I could be wrong. Someone on here will surely chime in with better info

Old 12-25-2016, 09:12 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: LED vs HID

I have 4 HID and would not switch em.

Different vehicle I tried some led head lights that seemed bright, till they were on the road, sent them back same week. There is not enough light flux to match even the standard lights. Seemed good - had fans in the base and all, would not suggest them, factory usually has multiple LEDS to get the power needed.

Enjoy Woody

Last edited by waldig; 12-27-2016 at 06:05 AM.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:21 AM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by waldig
I have 4 HID and would not switch em.

Different venicle I tried some led head lights that seemed bright, till they were on the road, sent them back same week. There is not enough light flux to match even the standard lights. Seemed good - had fans in the base and all, would not suggest them, factory usually has multiple LEDS to get the power needed.

Enjoy Woody
This has come up before, basically the LEDs are too weak and are to large to fit our headlight units.
That was then, but I doubt things have changed much. One day, maybe.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:54 AM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Have you tried the PIAA 4000K H7 lights from Needswings?? They have a very nice white light that goes way out there far down the road. All the light I need and my eyes aren't all that good any more at age 67. To me personally HID's just seem like a whole lot of work for a very small advantage.

Old 12-25-2016, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Sussudio
I've had the Kensun 6000k HIDs in for about eight months, no complaints at all. I'm not sure our cars are ideal for LED headlights as the put off so much heat from what I've read anyways. I could be wrong. Someone on here will surely chime in with better info
Thanks for the response. What kind of work is involved in installing the ballasts? Don't these have to be screwed into something? Is there enough space in the engine compartment for these? Anything I should be aware of before starting the installation? Thanks.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by zip439
Have you tried the PIAA 4000K H7 lights from Needswings?? They have a very nice white light that goes way out there far down the road. All the light I need and my eyes aren't all that good any more at age 67. To me personally HID's just seem like a whole lot of work for a very small advantage.
I just looked at them on Amazon.com. The rating is not bad. I've placed a pair of the most expensive halogen lights on my other car and I was not impressed. So I'm not sure if any other halogen lights will be different. Have you tried these yourself? Thanks.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:58 AM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

People need to remember that oncoming traffic gets blinded by these crazy other-than-stock headlight modifications. IF your headlights (H7) are not lighting the road enough, find out why instead of throwing out beams of blinding light to oncoming traffic. IF you do install non-OEM systems, get the damn things properly adjusted as a minimum. Someone put a lot of work into the design and fit of these H7 bulbs to meet the criteria required for safe operation INCLUDING oncoming traffic. We all see the screwed up aim AND intensity of oncoming traffic lighting systems at night, so are you part of the problem? Just saying.

Old 12-26-2016, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
People need to remember that oncoming traffic gets blinded by these crazy other-than-stock headlight modifications. IF your headlights (H7) are not lighting the road enough, find out why instead of throwing out beams of blinding light to oncoming traffic. IF you do install non-OEM systems, get the damn things properly adjusted as a minimum. Someone put a lot of work into the design and fit of these H7 bulbs to meet the criteria required for safe operation INCLUDING oncoming traffic. We all see the screwed up aim AND intensity of oncoming traffic lighting systems at night, so are you part of the problem? Just saying.

I cannot agree with you more such cars are annoying and unsafe. But no need to direct your entire frustration with them on me. Frankly what bothers me much more and impedes my driving are those with one of their headlights pointing right into my eyes and those who drive jacked up high trucks and drive right behind me... just saying

Old 12-27-2016, 10:29 AM

I cannot agree with you more such cars are annoying and unsafe. But no need to direct your entire frustration with them on me. Frankly what bothers me much more and impedes my driving are those with one of their headlights pointing right into my eyes and those who drive jacked up high trucks and drive right behind me... just saying

Blazing, didn't point the reply at you, I used the wrong word 'you' in 3 places the post so I can see why you felt that way. Everything you said is right on, we're good. Funny, when those guys jack their front ends (or overload their vehicles) the low beams are like highs, and when you 'flick' them with your highs, they turn on their high beams and it is actually a dimmer glare! I can also say (forgot to include it originally) that some people swing the opposite way when dealing with this issue, know a guy who got tired of the this whole headlight mess on the road and installed a light bar on his aftermarket front bumper AND a light bar on his roof. You can imagine what happens, one day someone will retaliate. Secretly, I hope he does it to a law enforcement agency, I would love to be a fly on the wall when that happens!

Old 12-27-2016, 11:03 AM

I just looked at them on Amazon.com. The rating is not bad. I've placed a pair of the most expensive halogen lights on my other car and I was not impressed. So I'm not sure if any other halogen lights will be different. Have you tried these yourself? Thanks.
Yes, I have them in both high & low beam on my Crossfire. If you stay within the posted speed limits they should work for anyone. I could understand wanting more light if racing a road course or off roading at night, but these work really well without blinding oncoming cars. I live out in the Alabama sticks, so hills, curves and animal crossing are many. I have no problems with these lights being able to see plenty far enough ahead. I did not care for the OEM yellow light and did not think they were adequate for our cars. This is a nice clean whit light, not blue, and they allow me to see not just the road but plenty to the sides when the high beams are on.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:52 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

As discussed in another thread there is no way an LED can produce enough candlepower to equal HID or even the H7 bulb because the H7 filament is right down dead center of the bulb. LED's cannot be manufactured to emit light direct on centerline therefor the reflectors cannot get the light down the road properly. It's a parabolic physical impossibility and the point of headlights is to focus light down the road to illuminate the roadway so LED can't do that.

HIDS are fine as long as they emit the light down the centerline of the "bulb" and are the same depth in the socket at the original H7 so the parabolic reflectors are aligned proper.

Also don't confuse lumens with candlepower. 10 billion lumens not focused properly won't outshine 300,000 candlepower. Candlepower=focused light, Lumens=total light emitted in any direction.

Last edited by KDW4Him; 12-28-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:47 AM
Old 12-28-2016, 09:59 AM

Here is 100 W but too bad it's blue and not street legal...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/o7h/Lucas...ulb/B006HFMA78

Old 12-28-2016, 10:24 AM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
Here is 100 W but too bad it's blue and not street legal...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/o7h/Lucas...ulb/B006HFMA78
I purchased four of those bulbs some years back and never installed them. I also purchased ten of them from China for much much less and never installed those either. I gave two of them to Sparkie SRT6 and he used them and had no problems with them. I now have twelve 65W bulbs, three Ultras, one regular Sylvania bulb, two 55W 6K spares, and a HID kit with two spare bulbs. That makes a total of twenty two H-7 bulbs of one kind or another, I'll get around to them one day I guess given a couple of hundred years or so.

The 65W bulbs are not street legal and are marked for OFF ROAD USE, or at least they were, but who is going to notice ten watts and get you to take out the bulb and check anyway. I see Candle Power Inc does not mention them being illegal but it did once.

I ended up installing the Sylvania Ultras and comparing them to the regular Sylvania, I could not tell the difference against a wall. I got mixed up installing the Ultras and now I have one Ultra and one regular in the low beams. I only found out as I was packing it all away and I could not be bothered to put the other Ultra in the passenger side.

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-28-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:02 PM

I found many of the off-brand filament lamp wattages did not come out correctly when tested against ohms law and the voltage applied. Being they are DC, and using a simple formula ( Voltage applied squared, then divided by resistance of the bulb in ohms, will give you the power in watts ) , they were in no way the advertised wattage. I call that 'puffing', to sell them.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:56 PM

KDW4him; I have a half dozen of them in my spares box: Osram Rallye 64217 65w Ultra High Output H7.
I didn't care for them as they are the same yellow color as the OEM at about 3400K. I ran them about one month (they are suppose to have a long life) and then bought the 4000K. I can see much better down the road with the PIAA 4000K.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:57 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: LED vs HID

THe resistance of tungsten changes dramatically as they approach operating temp, power has to measured by E x I. Tungsten is positive temperature coefficient, more resistance with higher temps. Woody

Old 12-29-2016, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by waldig
THe resistance of tungsten changes dramatically as they approach operating temp, power has to measured by E x I. Tungsten is positive temperature coefficient, more resistance with higher temps. Woody
If resistance goes up then I goes down so watts is less. Shouldn't that be less resistance when hot?

Old 12-29-2016, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by zip439
KDW4him; I have a half dozen of them in my spares box: Osram Rallye 64217 65w Ultra High Output H7.
I didn't care for them as they are the same yellow color as the OEM at about 3400K. I ran them about one month (they are suppose to have a long life) and then bought the 4000K. I can see much better down the road with the PIAA 4000K.
I was disappointed to see the 65Wers were still 3400K. So you can see more of the road with the same wattage bulb but the whiter light?

Last edited by KDW4Him; 12-29-2016 at 08:44 AM.