Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

crossfire battery problem please help!!!

Old 02-25-2017, 12:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crossfire battery problem please help!!!

i own a chrysler crossfire 04 limited coupe and i have to jump start my car every morning because my car dies, i recently replaced the battery 1 month ago and its still dying , im wondering if its the alarm but im not sure. can someone please help? thanks

Old 02-25-2017, 12:50 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: crossfire battery problem please help!!!

Some have found this to be caused by the OEM radio, but the only way to be sure what is draining is to hook up an amp meter ( cheap multimeter on the high DC amp scale ) between the negative battery terminal and the cable.
Start pulling fuses in the underhood fuse box one at a time while watching the meter.
When it drops back to somewhere around 30 milliamps, you have found the source.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:27 PM

Do you happen to have a Bluetooth OBD scanner plugged into the diagnostic port? I found that to zap my battery pretty quickly

Old 03-09-2017, 05:58 PM
Received 364 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildcard
Do you happen to have a Bluetooth OBD scanner plugged into the diagnostic port? I found that to zap my battery pretty quickly

Huh?????????

Old 03-09-2017, 08:16 PM
Administrator
Received 877 Likes on 683 Posts

All you can do is measure the current. Up to 50 or 55 mA (that is, .05 to .055 amp) is fine.
I'd guess that if a new battery went dead over one night, you will see maybe 2 or 3 AMPS when you measure it.

CAUTION:
1) Always have the trunk and doors closed when trying to measure the current.
2) Once you connect the meter, the various systems in the car must "die out" after the power is on. SO, connect the meter and ignore the reading for 30 seconds, after 30 seconds the various systems will be "down" and the current you then see is the real standby current.
3) Key in OFF Position and removed for these measurements.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:40 AM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I've had Bluetooth OBD dongles in my newer cars (Crossie, Jeep) for five years and have left for over two weeks with no issues. Good one will shut down until awakened by ignition.

Also my computer cars run about 20 ma when shut down. Spec says "under 50ma", 200 ma will kill a battery in 3-4 days, 2000 ma (2A) overnight. Cars I do not drive often stay on a little float charger.

Used to have to change at least one battery a year until I switched to AGM. They last much longer.

Old 03-10-2017, 02:22 PM
Received 532 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Padgett
I've had Bluetooth OBD dongles in my newer cars (Crossie, Jeep) for five years and have left for over two weeks with no issues. Good one will shut down until awakened by ignition.

Also my computer cars run about 20 ma when shut down. Spec says "under 50ma", 200 ma will kill a battery in 3-4 days, 2000 ma (2A) overnight. Cars I do not drive often stay on a little float charger.

Used to have to change at least one battery a year until I switched to AGM. They last much longer.
Your so called good ones shut down because the power to them has been switched off at the ignition switch, anything plugged in there is automatically off.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:00 AM
Forum Regular
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

? My bluetooth OBD dongle stays On when the ignition is off . its been on for over a year .
The red led on the dongle is allways on , has never run the battery down either but i do have a 760 cca Varta battery .

Old 03-15-2017, 04:47 PM

I've got a $20 Bluetooth OBD scanner, and I've found that when it's plugged in, my battery lasts maybe a week and a half without me cranking the engine.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:57 AM
Received 514 Likes on 410 Posts

I'm somewhat surprised that folks would leave a Bluetooth code reader/scanner plugged into the OBD2 port. I've also got a Bluetooth code reader/scanner (BlueDriver) and it stays in my console in case I need to use it when "out & about". It connects to my Cell phone (which I nearly always have) and/or to my tablet (which I take on trips). Just doesn't make sense to me to leave it plugged into the OBD2 port.

I seem to recall that the BlueDriver powers up immediately after it is plugged into the OBD2 port. By powering up, I mean it begins searching for a Bluetooth device to connect to. Maybe it will pull a drain on the battery if left plugged into the OBD2 port. But I think as long as it can't find a Bluetooth device to link to, it won't stay on. But these days, there is always a Bluetooth device somewhere nearby - the device just isn't able to connect because of a lack of authorization and software. But it may keep looking! Others say it won't consume power unless ignition is in "power on" position. Gotta go back & read the paperwork for the device now - I'm curious.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 03-17-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:32 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
I'm somewhat surprised that folks would leave a Bluetooth code reader/scanner plugged into the OBD2 port. I've also got a Bluetooth code reader/scanner (BlueDriver) and it stays in my console in case I need to use it when "out & about". It connects to my Cell phone (which I nearly always have) and/or to my tablet (which I take on trips). Just doesn't make sense to me to leave it plugged into the OBD2 port.

I seem to recall that the BlueDriver powers up immediately after it is plugged into the OBD2 port. By powering up, I mean it begins searching for a Bluetooth device to connect to. Maybe it will pull a drain on the battery if left plugged into the OBD2 port. But I think as long as it can't find a Bluetooth device to link to, it won't stay on. But these days, there is always a Bluetooth device somewhere nearby - the device just isn't able to connect because of a lack of authorization and software. But it may keep looking! Others say it won't consume power unless ignition is in "power on" position. Gotta go back & read the paperwork for the device now - I'm curious.

That's why I prefer the UltraGauge wired, it turns off and does not drain the battery.
UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center

Old 03-17-2017, 11:47 AM

in my case, I use the app Torque to log some real-time data while driving around (I don't really use the data, it's just a bit fun to check out), but I sometimes forget that the scanner is plugged in

Old 03-17-2017, 12:17 PM
Forum Regular
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i just leave my obd dongle plugged in so its allways there when i select Dashcommand (or Torque Pro) on my Galaxy N 5 phone.
its too awkward to retrieve the dongle from the consol and have to plug it in while driving .

Old 03-25-2017, 07:33 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
That's why I prefer the UltraGauge wired, it turns off and does not drain the battery.
UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="2"]
Ditto on the Ultragauge.