Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Air won't turn off

Old 04-18-2018, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air won't turn off

When I got in my crossfire this afternoon the Air was blowing at full blast. Even when I cranked it the air was still blowing at the same setting. Turning the car off did nothing to make it stop as well. I pulled fuse 36 and placed it in the spare spot. This did make the air stop, but I no longer have air conditioning if the fuse is pulled.

I forgot to mention the time in my car had also recently changed to about 2 hours ahead of what it should be.

Any suggestions, fixes, or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by xfirejeezy; 04-18-2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Air won't turn off

Are you saying the" clock", jumped ahead 2hrs.? Have you "jumped" the car off recently?

Old 04-18-2018, 08:49 PM

What I meant is that when I got in the car earlier today the time was off by 2 hours. Like right now it reads 9:48 instead of 7:48. I have not had to jump the car off recently.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:15 PM

Our fan control switches ,are know problem areas. It's usually ,just hi ,lo , control or not working at all. The clock is kinda weird ,that's odd.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:42 AM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

The fan running on high when it should not can be one of two things:
  • The "Blow motor resistor", (actually, it's a PWM regulator) - easy fix.
  • The controller has fractured solder connections between the two circuit boards - not such an easy fix, but not all that common, either.
Order one of these and try it:
https://www.carparts.com/details/Mer...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

THere is a thread here with instructions on replacement, you only need a screwdriver and the ability to lay under the passenger dash and unplug the old one, then plug in the new one.
There is a PDF here that will help, too:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...s-repairs.html

The clock can jump in time due to a flacky battery - if your car's battery is over four years old, replace it today. (If you respond with "I had the battery tested and it's good", I will be forced to never respond to any of your posts ever again. )

Last edited by pizzaguy; 04-19-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:17 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
Our fan control switches ,are know problem areas. It's usually ,just hi ,lo , control or not working at all. The clock is kinda weird ,that's odd.
I take it that it was still the same year, Back To The Future and all that, wrong car but ....
AC problem could be the controls on the dash.
OP post does not really make sense, turned it OFF but it still ran, he really means a fan I suppose. Too much agro to answer posts with poor info.

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-19-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for PWM link Mark mine went bad last week.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I take it that it was still the same year, Back To The Future and all that, wrong car but ....
AC problem could be the controls on the dash.
OP post does not really make sense, turned it OFF but it still ran, he really means a fan I suppose. Too much agro to answer posts with poor info.
Sorry for the poor wording. Basically when I was walking out to the parking lot I noticed my key fob wouldn't unlock the car so I had to unlock it manually. As soon as I opened the door I noticed the fan was blowing at full blast. Cranking the car and turning it off would not fix the issue. Unplugging the battery and plugging it back in did not fix the issue. Only way to make the fan stop was to unplug Fuse 36.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
The fan running on high when it should not can be one of two things:
[LIST][*]The "Blow motor resistor", (actually, it's a PWM regulator) - easy fix.[*]The controller has fractured solder connections between the two circuit boards - not such an easy fix, but not all that common, either.

The clock can jump in time due to a flacky battery - if your car's battery is over four years old, replace it today. (If you respond with "I had the battery tested and it's good", I will be forced to never respond to any of your posts ever again. )
The battery is less than a year old so that should not be an issue although it might have been really weak yesterday when I couldn't use the key fob to unlock the car. Now it unlocks fine using the key fob.

Could this be a problem with the Relay Control Module? I've had issues in the past with the 'no start issue' which I'm sure you're familiar with. Every time I had that issue was usually when there was an extreme temperature change such as it being 85 degrees one day and 50 the next. When that happened I would just take the RCM out and wiggle it around a bit and it would usually crank up. I looked at the joints and they looked fine to me although I'm no electrical engineer.

Would also like to note that I just plugged the fuse back into 36 and the fan did not come on. As soon as I cranked the car the fan only came on when I turned it to the setting that I wanted which is what should happen. Just going to leave fuse 36 out for now in case it randomly starts again when I'm not near.

Thanks

Old 04-19-2018, 07:36 PM

Send that RCM off to tighed1 an have that fixed an done with. $35 , a quarter the cost of a new one....an peace of mind. He usually get them back to ya in 5 days , weather depending(USPS)...

Old 05-07-2018, 09:27 PM

I just noticed my fog lights were flashing for the second time today. They were flashing like the alarm would be going off, but no alarm sound was going off. Could this be connected to the problem with the fan? Maybe I have a bad relay control module? Any help is appreciated.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by xfirejeezy
Sorry for the poor wording. Basically when I was walking out to the parking lot I noticed my key fob wouldn't unlock the car so I had to unlock it manually. As soon as I opened the door I noticed the fan was blowing at full blast. Cranking the car and turning it off would not fix the issue. Unplugging the battery and plugging it back in did not fix the issue. Only way to make the fan stop was to unplug Fuse 36.
Easy fix - You need one of these:

https://www.autopartswarehouse.com/s...EPM191806.html

It plugs in, you only need average hand tools to get to it. Takes 20 minutes or so to change.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Easy fix - You need one of these:

https://www.autopartswarehouse.com/s...EPM191806.html

It plugs in, you only need average hand tools to get to it. Takes 20 minutes or so to change.
Thanks for the feedback.

I was wondering if maybe the fan issue could be due to a faulty RCM. I've had the mystery no-start issues in the past and today I noticed my alarm system was being triggered randomly. I'm not too familiar with what causes problems like this, but these problems have all occurred within the past few months.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by xfirejeezy
Thanks for the feedback.

I was wondering if maybe the fan issue could be due to a faulty RCM.
NO.

I've had the mystery no-start issues in the past and today I noticed my alarm system was being triggered randomly. I'm not too familiar with what causes problems like this, but these problems have all occurred within the past few months.
Lots of odd issues often point to a really bad block-to-chassis ground jumper, or old, tired battery.

However, the mystery no start is often the RCM (send it to DJ), and the alarm going off is usually leaking backup batteries on the alarm module (replace or at least remove the alarm module - it's under the cover below the wipers).