Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

New SREEM pricing make me want to Scream!!

Old 10-05-2018, 08:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New SKREEM pricing make me want to Scream!!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. What happened?

Last edited by Jocko124; 10-05-2018 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Mis-spelled SKREEM
Old 10-06-2018, 01:08 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: New SREEM pricing make me want to Scream!!

Go look at the price of a key now.. Mercedes has shafted us all..

Old 10-06-2018, 03:38 PM
Received 340 Likes on 300 Posts

How much is a key now?

Old 10-06-2018, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by ZERACER
How much is a key now?

Old 10-06-2018, 04:57 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts
Default Re: New SKREEM pricing make me want to Scream!!

What causes the key and SKREEM to be so expensive. G R E E D
Time to find a way of getting rid of the fob chip and the SKREEM.
Let’s face it the price to protect this diminishing asset of a car is rising faster than the value of the car is falling.
Is it possible someone has come down with a big hammer on NeedsWings?

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-06-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:21 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Dave, any cars that I could afford have always been liabilities, I've never considered them assets.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:12 PM

Yes but at what point can you no longer afford to drive them?

Old 10-06-2018, 11:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As long as the manual part of the key works I'll live without the buttons if need be.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:19 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I was thinking about picking up a new project SRT6, but the updated pricing for the key and skreem have me a little apprehensive as I think one or both could be the problem. These cars may be getting a little too pricey for a poor guy to work on.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:12 AM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Does the valet key have a SKREEM chip ?

Old 10-07-2018, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Is it possible someone has come down with a big hammer on NeedsWings?
The only reason I checked key prices.. was because a member on facebook mentioned just under a grand at the dealership for a key .. she was given a link to the website.. and wasn't able to navigate it.. so I went to provide a direct link to the key... It's Mercedes doing this..

Old 10-07-2018, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Padgett
Does the valet key have a SKREEM chip ?
I have never seen a valet key and I had a Crossfire from new.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
The only reason I checked key prices.. was because a member on facebook mentioned just under a grand at the dealership for a key .. she was given a link to the website.. and wasn't able to navigate it.. so I went to provide a direct link to the key... It's Mercedes doing this..
Surely there is a government branch that protects customers from having to pay such an exorbitant price for two parts that could exceed the value of the car and force it to be scrapped, adding to the pile of scrap metal and unrecyclable materials.
I am sure that the US government would love to haul a foreign carmaker over the coals, why not try and get The Donald involved? Add a few extra percentage points to the Mercedes tariffs. Get him to mention this in one of his rants and they will be keen to give us all cheap SKREEMs and keys.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One can easily conclude the price hike is Daimler's way of compensating for the Trump tarrifs. I'm curious to see if the prices have remained the same at my local Canadian Mercedes dealer

Old 10-07-2018, 01:43 PM

I'm just curious about if any of these cars are ever stolen. If so, there must be someone out there that knows how to get around all of these electronics. I wonder if the insurance industry has and stats? Lets hire a car thief to show us how LOL.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:44 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Been studying a bit more and the SKREEM contains an RF transceiver and a microprocessor (with some memory I would think. Problem is we can't just remove it because it also controls the RKE and the power door locks.
And it is not a discrete signal, it is data blocks:
"Connected to the SKREEM is a Sentry Key Antenna Ring which surrounds the ignition lock cylinder. When the ignition is switched on, the Sentry Key Antenna Ring is supplied with power. A data block is transmitted inductively via the Sentry Key Antenna Ring to the SKREEM and then on to the Powertrain Control Module. If the antenna ring data block content is invalid or if vehicle battery power is too low to build up enough power for the antenna ring, the Powertrain Control Module will not receive the proper signal. This is displayed with the message “Start Error” in the Instrument Cluster
"

OK then what we need to reverse engineer and reprogram the SKREEM to just send the data block which means we need to figure out the data block. No Big and may be easier than reprogramming the ECM.

Further: "The SKREEM retains in memory the ID numbers of any ignition key transponder that is programmed into it. For added system security each SKREEM is programmed with a unique secret key code. This code is stored in memory, sent over the CAN data bus to the PCM, and is encoded to the transponder of every ignition key that is programmed into the SKREEM." So what is needed is to reprogram the SKREEM not to interrogate the kay and just send the code.

Thoughts ?

Old 10-07-2018, 04:59 PM

Surely there is a government branch that protects customers from having to pay such an exorbitant price for two parts that could exceed the value of the car and force it to be scrapped, adding to the pile of scrap metal and unrecyclable materials.
I am sure that the US government would love to haul a foreign carmaker over the coals, why not try and get The Donald involved? Add a few extra percentage points to the Mercedes tariffs. Get him to mention this in one of his rants and they will be keen to give us all cheap SKREEMs and keys.

Well.. Canada did see the light.. Germany might have to be next... PS.. Welcome to the USMCA

Old 10-07-2018, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Well.. Canada did see the light.. Germany might have to be next... PS.. Welcome to the USMCA
Where did you see that, Fox news?

Old 10-07-2018, 09:20 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Padgett
Been studying a bit more and the SKREEM contains an RF transceiver and a microprocessor (with some memory I would think. Problem is we can't just remove it because it also controls the RKE and the power door locks.
And it is not a discrete signal, it is data blocks:
"Connected to the SKREEM is a Sentry Key Antenna Ring which surrounds the ignition lock cylinder. When the ignition is switched on, the Sentry Key Antenna Ring is supplied with power. A data block is transmitted inductively via the Sentry Key Antenna Ring to the SKREEM and then on to the Powertrain Control Module. If the antenna ring data block content is invalid or if vehicle battery power is too low to build up enough power for the antenna ring, the Powertrain Control Module will not receive the proper signal. This is displayed with the message “Start Error” in the Instrument Cluster
"

OK then what we need to reverse engineer and reprogram the SKREEM to just send the data block which means we need to figure out the data block. No Big and may be easier than reprogramming the ECM.

Further: "The SKREEM retains in memory the ID numbers of any ignition key transponder that is programmed into it. For added system security each SKREEM is programmed with a unique secret key code. This code is stored in memory, sent over the CAN data bus to the PCM, and is encoded to the transponder of every ignition key that is programmed into the SKREEM." So what is needed is to reprogram the SKREEM not to interrogate the kay and just send the code.

Thoughts ?
I like your thinking Padgett. I'm sorry I'm unable to contribute to this project workaround. Definitely interested in and applaud your efforts as I'm sure ALL Crossfire owners will have their hats in their hands thanking you for your efforts on this. Okay, hoping other folks here that have Padgett's thought processes on the SKREEM and ignition ring will chime in.

Thanks Padgett!

Lurking!

Regards,

Old 10-07-2018, 11:49 PM

Where did you see that, Fox news?
Yep.. CNN doesn't want to admit HE made it happen.. PS.. google is your friend..

https://www.google.com/search?q=cana...eement&ie=&oe=

Quick Reply: New SREEM pricing make me want to Scream!!