Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Key stuck

Old 10-25-2018, 07:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Key stuck

Well it finally happened to me , just under 30,000 , key locked up ! Now going to have to drill it out ! One question since you can’t turn the key to position one , after I drill out pin will the cylinder come out ? Is there any reason to take the tumbler out , won’t the cylinder come out without removing the tumbler ? For those of you who are going to ask why I didn’t do the sticky key fix 1st , for the last year I’ve been trying to find someone to do it been turned down by all the shops around here ! I even had the 4 pages printed on how to do it ! If the shops didn’t want to try , I thought I better not either , even asked for someone here but no luck , nobody close by to help me out . Now I have no other options now that the key is stuck ! Oh the love of a crossfire , but I think it’s waning !!!

Old 10-25-2018, 09:53 AM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts
Default Re: Key stuck

Originally Posted by Ed Mahoney
Well it finally happened to me , just under 30,000 , key locked up ! Now going to have to drill it out ! One question since you can’t turn the key to position one , after I drill out pin will the cylinder come out ? Is there any reason to take the tumbler out , won’t the cylinder come out without removing the tumbler ? For those of you who are going to ask why I didn’t do the sticky key fix 1st , for the last year I’ve been trying to find someone to do it been turned down by all the shops around here ! I even had the 4 pages printed on how to do it ! If the shops didn’t want to try , I thought I better not either , even asked for someone here but no luck , nobody close by to help me out . Now I have no other options now that the key is stuck ! Oh the love of a crossfire , but I think it’s waning !!!
OK I’ll fly out, give you $3,000 for an undriveable car, fix it and drive back. I have always liked red.😀

Old 10-25-2018, 11:40 PM

Figures now I get help ! That’s ok it’s at Mercedes now ! They at least offered $4,500 , & your a member !

Last edited by Ed Mahoney; 10-26-2018 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Adition
Old 10-26-2018, 11:03 AM

Figures now I get help ! That’s ok it’s at Mercedes now ! They at least offered $4,500 , & your a member !
They do not have the expense of flying out there, hotel expenses etc.
I guess the cost to fix the car will be a lot of money, new ignition switch etc.Take that off the $4,500 and you’ll realize my offer was the best.LOL

Old 10-26-2018, 04:17 PM

I sold it to them for that ! Don’t have to repair it’s theirs ! Now their worry not mine !

Last edited by Ed Mahoney; 10-26-2018 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Adition
Old 10-26-2018, 08:45 PM
Administrator
Received 880 Likes on 686 Posts

A simple mechanical repair and "shops" would not look at it? That is about as pathetic as it can get.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:54 AM

No didn’t try simple repair shops ! I took it to a place called German concepts only work on those types of cars Mercedes , BMW, Audi, they did my brake fluid , & it fixed low brake pedal & light . They wouldn’t do key fix , plus went to another high end German car shop we only have two in my area they also looked at the print out I had for repair wouldn’t touch it either ! Went on here nobody close by to help either ! So only thing to do when it locked up in parking lot was to have it towed to Mercedes ! I was planning to try it this fall when I put it away , that’s my luck !

Old 10-27-2018, 10:57 AM
Received 340 Likes on 300 Posts

You sold it to the dealer for 3500 bucks?

Old 10-27-2018, 12:04 PM
Administrator
Received 880 Likes on 686 Posts

No didn’t try simple repair shops ! I took it to a place called German concepts only work on those types of cars Mercedes , BMW, Audi, they did my brake fluid , & it fixed low brake pedal & light . They wouldn’t do key fix , plus went to another high end German car shop we only have two in my area they also looked at the print out I had for repair wouldn’t touch it either !
Like I said, pathetic. What the hell are these shops good for then? This is a simple MECHANICAL issue, there is nothing hard about it - my mechanical skills are remedial at best and I fixed mine in two and 1/2 hours.
I can now do one (before it locks up) in 25 minutes.

I could see it if they didn't want to pursue a weird electronic issue, but THIS is a simple MECHANICAL issue and you even had the tutorial on how to fix it.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Like I said, pathetic. What the hell are these shops good for then? This is a simple MECHANICAL issue, there is nothing hard about it - my mechanical skills are remedial at best and I fixed mine in two and 1/2 hours.
I can now do one (before it locks up) in 25 minutes.

I could see it if they didn't want to pursue a weird electronic issue, but THIS is a simple MECHANICAL issue and you even had the tutorial on how to fix it.
Maybe they realized that it was a job that they could not get much money from, they would sooner do a job that took more hours.
Most people go to a dealer, repair shop or whatever and expect to get hosed so the shops oblige, after all they do not want the customer to be disappointed. 😏

Old 10-29-2018, 08:51 AM

Pizza Guy so you can drill it out & replace it all with in 2 1/2 hrs ? So my question still is , after drilling out the tab lock , do you still have to mess with the tumblers or just get the spring tab out of the cylinder ? And it will work again ?

Old 10-29-2018, 11:02 AM

Just print this out and go step by step and it isn't a bad job.
file:///C:/Users/grndpadug/Downloads/Sticky_ignition_key_fix_v5%20(15).pdf

Old 10-29-2018, 11:04 AM

Sorry, wrong link. Go here and scroll down to sticky key fix. There is a great video and step by step instructions that make it easier.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...s-repairs.html

Old 10-29-2018, 12:31 PM

Pizza Guy so you can drill it out & replace it all with in 2 1/2 hrs ? So my question still is , after drilling out the tab lock , do you still have to mess with the tumblers or just get the spring tab out of the cylinder ? And it will work again ?
It would be very hard to drill the pin out, better results have been obtained when using a rotary burr and cut it out.
Taking the car to a Mercedes dealer is just like being asked to get tarred and feathered and run out of town, do not expect a warm welcome.

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-29-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:57 PM

No I didn’t sell CROSSFIRE ! Just playing with member who tries to lowball ya when you need help !!! My son-in-law is service mgr. for Mercedes ��

Old 10-29-2018, 01:11 PM

No I didn’t sell CROSSFIRE ! Just playing with member who tries to lowball ya when you need help !!! My son-in-law is service mgr. for Mercedes ��
I was just pulling your leg, I hope you realize that, if not you are in trouble.
Your son in law is a service manager? Hmmm?

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-29-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:33 AM

Yes so last place to try, don’t like to use the family card , but emergency said yes pull out the card !

Old 10-30-2018, 02:13 PM

Mercedes shop called all done , just owe for towing , but ins will cover that ! So a big shout out to son-in-law & Mercedes for saving the day !

Last edited by Ed Mahoney; 10-30-2018 at 04:44 PM. Reason: More to ad
Old 10-30-2018, 05:41 PM
Forum Regular
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Ed, glad to hear that you kept the car and better yet that you got it fixed. If I've learned one thing from this and other forums over the past few months is...that while there may be a few pesky issues with this (or any car for that matter) most all issues are fixable and this is a fun can to own. The folks on this forum have already seen most any issue before and most all the answers are here.
Again...glad your all fixed up and back on the road. Not too many good driving days left for us here in the Midwest until spring.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:25 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never done my 04, so far no problems with it.

Quick Reply: Key stuck