Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Looking to buy - pricing is all over the place!

Old 04-11-2019, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy - pricing is all over the place!

Hi all,

New to this forum, and new to Crossfire. I've been shopping in the New York/Boston area for the Coupe autotragic. It is me, or is pricing all over for these cars? I understand that there will be variation based on miles and condition, but pricing ranges from $3500 to $14000 for the same year.

What does $5k or $6k buy me? Under 100k miles and decent shape? Would you pay more for lower miles? Or would you ignore miles and focus on condition only?

TIA.

Tom

Old 04-12-2019, 12:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Looking to buy - pricing is all over the place!

Originally Posted by 4driver4
Hi all,

New to this forum, and new to Crossfire. I've been shopping in the New York/Boston area for the Coupe autotragic. It is me, or is pricing all over for these cars? I understand that there will be variation based on miles and condition, but pricing ranges from $3500 to $14000 for the same year.

What does $5k or $6k buy me? Under 100k miles and decent shape? Would you pay more for lower miles? Or would you ignore miles and focus on condition only?

TIA.

Tom
i gave $5000 for a 2005 limited with 68,000 the guy wanted $6500

Old 04-12-2019, 04:24 PM
Forum Regular
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

First, welcome to the forum. Second you must understand the different versions of the car. There is the "base model", then the "limited" models, then the "SRT". They will all look very similar on the outside. The SRT's can usually be easy identified as the rear wings are way different than the base or limited models. Also they have different wheels (unless they have been replaced).
Also a roadster (convertible) will usually cost a little more than a coup. Of course none of this is set in stone but a base coup would go for under $5000. A limited coup runs about $5000-8000. A limited roadster runs about $5000-12000. A SRT will run about $10,000-18,000. Of course condition and miles have a lot to say when figuring out its value. If you find something you like take lots of photos and post questions about it here. You will get honest help.

Old 04-12-2019, 04:41 PM

Thanks, guys. And thinks for the welcome. So more info:
Looking at a Limited Coupe Automatic with 32k miles. Black/Black. Private party, second owner, new tires, carfax says damage to front and rear. Rear bumper has been painted, but the work is near flawless. Front looks original. Needs mirror control and cup holder. Super clean; guy also has a few Harleys and a Prowler in his garage, all look mint. Ask is $7k, but there are other cars in the area for 5 or 6. The only thing that gives me pause about paying (overpaying?) 7ish for the car is the carfax.

What says the Crossfire braintrust?

For context, it's the Coupe that I want. I'd love an SRT, but the only ones not stratospherically priced are all tarted up (or, as the ads say, "tastefully modded") I'm a sports car guy, and I've been changing cars often. I also have a PHRT (Power Retractable Hard Top) NC Miata, so I'm good for topless days, and I've learned to dislike cloth tops (BTDT with other Miata, a BMW E46 M3 vert, and a Z3 M Roadster. Plus the Crossfire Coupe is so unique looking.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:06 PM
Forum Regular
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

First off, I (personally) would not buy a car that has been wrecked. Maybe that's just me. There's a danger of hidden damage that could cost you more than the difference you pay now for an undamaged car. Secondly, you should take into account what the perspective car has in the way of add on's and upgrades. Things like oil catch cans, new brakes and rotors, new battery, new siren module, extra keys, SKREEM module replacement, new tires, maybe new wheels, etc., etc.. These little things add up to a bit of money. Then there is the overall appearance of the car, the paint and polish, the interior. No worn spots on the seats, the floors, and has the headliner been replaced. Crossfire's are pretty bad at having the headliner start to fall down. That take's about another $300.00 to replace. (Don't ask).

There are Crossfire's for sale around the country that are in very good to excellent condition. You can pay five to six thousand and have a basket full of problems. That's probably why the owner is asking that price instead of eight or nine thousand. If he has a good car, he know's it and probably prices it accordingly. If it's a lesser priced vehicle, be cautious. I'm not saying that there are no good deals out there, but have someone go with you and check out the car. Ask to see any repair bills the owner has, if he will show them to you.

I wish you good luck and welcome to the Crossfire Forum. You will find all kinds of GOOD advice on here and will save you a lot of money in the long run. One piece of advice you will see often is, Don't take your car to a dealership for any work. They are nicknamed STEALERSHIP'S for a reason. Find a good import car repair shop, one who is very familiar with Mercedez cars to help you or work on your Crossfire.

Jim

Old 04-12-2019, 07:14 PM

Thanks, Jim.
Headliner was done (yup, $300 is what he said), and he also paid to have the steering column lock issue fixed.
Not sure how extensive the damage was, but it's hard to find any evidence that it was fixed.
Both interior and exterior are what you might expect from such low miles.

As for the maintenance, I'll be doing that. I've got a pretty well equipped shop, and good friend who is a "retired" factory trained Mercedes tech.

But yes, the accident thing is the only thing holding me back...

Old 04-12-2019, 09:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jim Holian
First off, I (personally) would not buy a car that has been wrecked. Maybe that's just me. There's a danger of hidden damage that could cost you more than the difference you pay now for an undamaged car. Secondly, you should take into account what the perspective car has in the way of add on's and upgrades. Things like oil catch cans, new brakes and rotors, new battery, new siren module, extra keys, SKREEM module replacement, new tires, maybe new wheels, etc., etc.. These little things add up to a bit of money. Then there is the overall appearance of the car, the paint and polish, the interior. No worn spots on the seats, the floors, and has the headliner been replaced. Crossfire's are pretty bad at having the headliner start to fall down. That take's about another $300.00 to replace. (Don't ask).

There are Crossfire's for sale around the country that are in very good to excellent condition. You can pay five to six thousand and have a basket full of problems. That's probably why the owner is asking that price instead of eight or nine thousand. If he has a good car, he know's it and probably prices it accordingly. If it's a lesser priced vehicle, be cautious. I'm not saying that there are no good deals out there, but have someone go with you and check out the car. Ask to see any repair bills the owner has, if he will show them to you.

I wish you good luck and welcome to the Crossfire Forum. You will find all kinds of GOOD advice on here and will save you a lot of money in the long run. One piece of advice you will see often is, Don't take your car to a dealership for any work. They are nicknamed STEALERSHIP'S for a reason. Find a good import car repair shop, one who is very familiar with Mercedez cars to help you or work on your Crossfire.

Jim
you say that as if you were to pay $8000 or $9000 u wont get a basket full of problems even people that pay twice that much can get a basket full of problems. As far as wrecks go its sometimes impossible to tell if its been wrecked or not , even with a carfax report you still might not know.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:57 PM
Forum Regular
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

All you can do is take your time and look the car over real good and be realistic. At the end of the day the only thing that matters is if you feel good about the price. Any repairs needed right away do take away from the price. Good luck.

Last edited by Tom3120; 04-12-2019 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:24 AM

OK.
So have a handshake deal on the 32k mile 04. Seller is on cruise this week, so I should be getting the car next week if he doesn't sell it out from under me. I don't think that will happen; he seems like a straight shooter. Will report on progress next week.