Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Blackstone Labs Oil Analysis Results!

Old 09-28-2021, 07:52 PM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Blackstone Labs Oil Analysis Results!

So I purchased my new to me coupe a couple of weeks ago, upon inspecting the air filters, I discovered that both air filter boxes had broken fastener tabs and weren't sealing properly, allowing quite a bit of unfiltered air to get past the air filters. I found dust and even a small leaf on the air box screen, yikes!

I was quite alarmed at this, because I have no idea how long it was running it this state. Compounded by the fact the original owner hadn't changed the oil after 8,000 miles! I did an oil change and sent a sample off to Blackstone Labs who I've been using for a long time.

I'm happy to report that even with the broken airbox, long duration oil change and paper element oil filter, my oil analysis results were very good. Even though my sample had 8,000 miles on it, it barely had wear results above the Universal Averages, which are based at 5,000 mile samples. Low solute (dirt) was found in the oil as well. Pretty relieved to be honest. Below is the results and notes from the lab. The original owner wasn't sure what oil that he used, only that it was synthetic. The lab stated it was indeed synthetic, either 10/30 or 10/40 was used. I did refill with Mobil One 0W-40 and original Mann Fleece oil filter.

However, the paper element that the original owner used was a Wix paper filter (I know since he gave me a spare one). I have to say, even after 8,000 miles, the paper element was solid, it wasn't easy breaking it apart for inspection. Based on the oil analysis and the strength of that old filter, I wouldn't be afraid to use that paper element in the future. Makes sense since Mann actually owns Wix, it even says so on the box.

Last edited by SD Crossfire; 09-28-2021 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-28-2021, 11:19 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Blackstone Labs Oil Analysis Results!

Yeah that's good news! Kind of re-enforces the notion that these engines are built to last. How many miles on the car?

Old 09-28-2021, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Scott M
Yeah that's good news! Kind of re-enforces the notion that these engines are built to last. How many miles on the car?
Yeah, really impressive considering the oil change length and broken airbox. Currently 97,300 miles, which is pretty low for the last 17 years. However the previous owner had it for 3 years and put on 24,000 miles during that time. Since this is my weekend car, I expect to put around 2,000 - 3,000 miles a year.

The following users liked this post:
Scott M (09-28-2021)
Old 09-29-2021, 07:47 PM
Received 384 Likes on 331 Posts

That ought to 'stick in the craw' of quite a few elitists who frown upon those who don't use MANN oil filters, that for sure! Great news you got! Good luck with the new acquisition!

Old 09-29-2021, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost

That ought to 'stick in the craw' of quite a few elitists who frown upon those who don't use MANN oil filters, that for sure! Great news you got! Good luck with the new acquisition!

Thanks! Yeah, I read up on the filter element discussions while researching the best parts for this car, and was rather concerned that this car had the paper element for about a year with 8,000 miles with a broken airbox for who knows how long.

But based on my personal inspection of that element, including a tear down and the oil analysis results, I have to say I'm rather impressed with the Wix paper element. Which is rated for up to 10,000 miles and is actually owned by Mann to begin with. I think if you avoid the very cheap paper elements and stick with a quality part, you should be fine even with a paper filter.

That being said, I replaced it with a Mann Fleece filter because they are essentially the same price anyways. Also, I bought both Wix and Mann branded engine air filters, and I found that the Wix branded one seemed to be better built. With a even better outside seal and no flashing on top of the filter which can get loose and enter the engine. The Mann air filter actually had some excessive flashing on the top which makes me worried it could break apart over time and get into the engine. Again, on the Wix air filter box, it also shows Mann labeling.

Old 09-30-2021, 01:34 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by SD Crossfire
Thanks! Yeah, I read up on the filter element discussions while researching the best parts for this car, and was rather concerned that this car had the paper element for about a year with 8,000 miles with a broken airbox for who knows how long.

But based on my personal inspection of that element, including a tear down and the oil analysis results, I have to say I'm rather impressed with the Wix paper element. Which is rated for up to 10,000 miles and is actually owned by Mann to begin with. I think if you avoid the very cheap paper elements and stick with a quality part, you should be fine even with a paper filter.

That being said, I replaced it with a Mann Fleece filter because they are essentially the same price anyways. Also, I bought both Wix and Mann branded engine air filters, and I found that the Wix branded one seemed to be better built. With a even better outside seal and no flashing on top of the filter which can get loose and enter the engine. The Mann air filter actually had some excessive flashing on the top which makes me worried it could break apart over time and get into the engine. Again, on the Wix air filter box, it also shows Mann labeling.
The Polyester filters called fleece filters were called for when the 7,000 mile oil change was introduced, before that paper filters were OK.
I would guess that the polyester filters were more efficient at catching particles at the higher mileages and probably were less likely to fall apart. The Chinese filters are probably made from old newspapers. ☹️
When I purchased my new 2004 Limited the dealer gave me two paper filters., I tossed them and have used ‘fleece’ filters ever since even though my yearly mileage has only been 2,300 miles on average. I change the oil and filter yearly without fail except last year when I only did < 400 miles.
Anyone remember the ads for oil filters made from toilet rolls, probably found in Practical Mechanics magazines in the sixties? A friend of mine had a Chevy Bel Air with no oil filter, it was an optional extra, the rocker shaft was filled solid with a dry deposit and the rocker bearings were worn through. The holes where the pushrods went were filled with only enough room for the pushrods to move in.
They do not build them like they did. Thankfully.

Old 09-30-2021, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The Polyester filters called fleece filters were called for when the 7,000 mile oil change was introduced, before that paper filters were OK.
I would guess that the polyester filters were more efficient at catching particles at the higher mileages and probably were less likely to fall apart. The Chinese filters are probably made from old newspapers. ☹️
When I purchased my new 2004 Limited the dealer gave me two paper filters., I tossed them and have used ‘fleece’ filters ever since even though my yearly mileage has only been 2,300 miles on average. I change the oil and filter yearly without fail except last year when I only did < 400 miles.
Anyone remember the ads for oil filters made from toilet rolls, probably found in Practical Mechanics magazines in the sixties? A friend of mine had a Chevy Bel Air with no oil filter, it was an optional extra, the rocker shaft was filled solid with a dry deposit and the rocker bearings were worn through. The holes where the pushrods went were filled with only enough room for the pushrods to move in.
They do not build them like they did. Thankfully.
Yup, I did go with the Mann Fleece filter on my oil change and future oil changes going forward. Because the same price, why not, it's what continues to be recommended for this motor by the manufacturer.

That being said, the Wix (Mann) paper element on the box does state for 7,500 - 10,000 intervals. That filter, based on the oil analysis was impressive during an 8,000 mile interval, with strong filtering performance. It was in solid condition during my teardown and inspection. If I couldn't get the fleece filters for some reason, I wouldn't hesitate to use the Wix paper filter again.

But with that being said as well, I would avoid any other paper element that wasn't vetted, especially some off-brand Chinese filter that is half the price.