Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Suoercharger?

Old 08-12-2005, 01:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger?

Anyone know a good source for take off Mercedes supercharger assemblies? Renntech and the like are smoking crack with their prices!! I guess because it says "Mercedes" on it, they feel it is worth more than any other supercharger setups out there. If I can't find an oem setup, I may just go procharger or something- more efficient than the roots anyway. I was going to turbo it over the winter, but don't really feel like spending that much time fabbing stuff for the low boost I plan on running, I can do the blower in a weekend. I would keep the spray, but it was just to get a "feel" for the car and how it would handle it, I really want to go forced induction.

Thanks.
Joe

Last edited by kwiktsi; 08-12-2005 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:40 AM
Default Re: Supercharger?

Try to find an engine from a wrecked C32 or SLK 32. It would be much easier than finding all the parts piece by piece. There are a few internal parts that are hard to get a hold of.

On a side note, I've been thinking about just putting the SLK32 or C32 engine right in. I could then sell my stock engine and make some of my money back. Does anybody know if this will work or am I smoking the same crack Renntech is?

Old 08-12-2005, 02:44 AM

Supercharging the crossfire on the cheap run will run you about 8-10k.

Old 08-12-2005, 09:45 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're better off selling the Crossfire and buying a SRT6 hand built by AMG. Better investment.

Old 08-12-2005, 10:23 AM

Man, you guys are brainwashed. $8-10K? you can get a Vortech head unit (blower itself) for ~$1200-$1500 new (more for the larger ones)- much less used, fab the brackets (easy with the right tools), get the ECU flashed (not for the $1k that Renntech gets either) and run 6-7 psi on the STOCK motor. 10:1 isn't beyond boosting. If you want more boost than that, you can get thicker copper head gaskets made (a few places do this custom) to drop the compression to ~9:1, intercool it and run around 14-16 psi (with the right blower). 10K would put you in the 9's if you do your own work lol.

I drove an SRT6 yesterday,not worth the $45k to me. My car with the 125 shot walked all over it (yes, we had to find out). It was nice for stock, don't get me wrong- but $45k? I paid $25k for my 04, and $400 for the kit (got it from a buddy used) and I took the SRT by about 2 1/2- 3 cars (straight line). Once I boost it, I will have the same performance all the time, not just on the button. As for internals, I wouldn't use any of the Mercedes stuff if I were to boost it personally, rods and pistons aren't that bad to get custom made and will be much stronger than the Mercedes stuff.

As for paying for an actual motor swap- if I were to go that route, it will have to be an LS1. I already told the wife, the day this thing nukes is the day I buy an LS1 for it. I thought about the Hemi, but the LS1 is lighter motor and would be better suited for this car. Plus- with the aftermarket for that motor, 700+ hp is just a walk in the park.

Joe

Old 08-12-2005, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by italianmafia03
Try to find an engine from a wrecked C32 or SLK 32. It would be much easier than finding all the parts piece by piece. There are a few internal parts that are hard to get a hold of.

On a side note, I've been thinking about just putting the SLK32 or C32 engine right in. I could then sell my stock engine and make some of my money back. Does anybody know if this will work or am I smoking the same crack Renntech is?
As for smoking crack- if that is what you want (the swap, not crack lol), it wouldn't be that bad, only problem is the price for the Mercedes stuff. If you have the tools, resources and know-how, it is much cheaper to do a custom setup and it would make more power.

I'm sure people have lines on motors and such, but we priced out the stock 3.2 in the crossfire through a friend at Dodge and my cost was almost $11k!! Probably cheaper through Mercedes actually.

Joe

Old 08-12-2005, 10:51 AM

just curious what nitrous setup you are running? also as for swapping in a v8 ls1 maybe "easier" but i think it would be a lot cooler and more unique if it were kept mopar with a hemi. i am actually going over the weekend to take some measurement from a 5.7 hemi and see if it will fit between the strut towers.

also everybody says the renntech, brabus, etc are all over priced but when you look at the quality and the r&d they put into the products i would say that it not half bad. they are not like vortec making a s/c kit for a mustang were they are going to sell thousands of them and can sell at a cheaper price.

btw not knocking the idea at all but have you ever custom built a s/c setup? it appears that it would be very difficult and packaging may be hard with a centrifugal setup. i would think i would be easier to make a roots work on this application.

Old 08-12-2005, 11:24 AM

I am running an NX EFI kit with 125 jets. I agree about the hemi/mopar thing- but the LS1 is much more refined and is a better match for the "refined" side of the Crossfire. Not to mention, it is lighter than the Hemi and that in itself makes it a better match for the Crossfire without throwing the handling off too much if any. I wouldn't mind doing a Challenger or Cuda with a twin turbo late EFI hemi though.

I understand the quality and R&D and have been in the business for about 14 years now- they are overpriced. The guys who really make power shake their heads and laugh when we discuss their pricing and such. However, for the guys with deep pockets who can't do their own work and care about the status quo- their work is top notch, but if it were any "lower class" name on the car, the work would be 40% less. Come on- $1000 for an ECU reflash?? I would do it for less than that WITH dyno tuning when I had my shop and although the cars may have been LS1's, LT1's and some Haltech DSM's, a custom tune is just that. They get $1000 for a "shelf" tune. Once the hard part is done (the original tune is setup), it is a 10 minute affair to reflash an ECU and even at $300, you are making nice $$$. The name shouldn't affect pricing, but unfortunately, it does.

I have done several custom blower and turbo installs from brackets to piping. There is plenty of room in the crossfire for a centrifugal blower- look on the passenger side above the alternator. If you get a reverse rotation (pulley faces motor)- you can put the blower right in between the radiator and valve cover- a TON of space compared to some of the stuff I have done. Worst case, I would have to get a slim fan or cut/fiberglass the corner of the stock shroud for clearance if needed. It would just make an alternator swap more time consuming, but that won't be an every day affair. Not to mention- it is much more efficient than a roots- and you can intercool it easily. If I could find a stock roots setup for the right price, it would be worth bolting on and making a new pulley for to try to get a bit more boost, but if it is going to be too pricey, it isn't worth it. I really want to turbo the car, but will not be going into the motor right away, so boost will be limited and 6-7 psi on a blower would feel better than 6-7 psi on a turbo- no lag! If I get into the motor and do pistons and all and can get it to 8.5:1 or so, then I'll turbo it and run a "real" setup. The blower will just be quick and easy for now.

Joe

Old 08-12-2005, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by kwiktsi
Man, you guys are brainwashed. $8-10K? you can get a Vortech head unit (blower itself) for ~$1200-$1500 new (more for the larger ones)- much less used, fab the brackets (easy with the right tools), get the ECU flashed (not for the $1k that Renntech gets either) and run 6-7 psi on the STOCK motor. 10:1 isn't beyond boosting. If you want more boost than that, you can get thicker copper head gaskets made (a few places do this custom) to drop the compression to ~9:1, intercool it and run around 14-16 psi (with the right blower). 10K would put you in the 9's if you do your own work lol.

I drove an SRT6 yesterday,not worth the $45k to me. My car with the 125 shot walked all over it (yes, we had to find out). It was nice for stock, don't get me wrong- but $45k? I paid $25k for my 04, and $400 for the kit (got it from a buddy used) and I took the SRT by about 2 1/2- 3 cars (straight line). Once I boost it, I will have the same performance all the time, not just on the button. As for internals, I wouldn't use any of the Mercedes stuff if I were to boost it personally, rods and pistons aren't that bad to get custom made and will be much stronger than the Mercedes stuff.

As for paying for an actual motor swap- if I were to go that route, it will have to be an LS1. I already told the wife, the day this thing nukes is the day I buy an LS1 for it. I thought about the Hemi, but the LS1 is lighter motor and would be better suited for this car. Plus- with the aftermarket for that motor, 700+ hp is just a walk in the park.

Joe
I still with my previous statement. So you hook up your Vortech. Which now is unsafe, you would have to get at least a wideband or aem uego. If it was as easy as just buying a vortech and easily fabricating some brackets, there would be more supercharged base Crossfires. And on 14-16 psi the base crossfire 3.2 can not handle it. Internal swap is a must. And 10k would not put you into the 9's.

The absolutely best you can hope for, is 6-7 psi from the centrifugal, would be 100 whp. Putting you around 270 whp, not worth it to me. All that work for low 13's? Yes you could go with a ls1 swap, which would be cool, but achieving 700 hp is no longer a daily driver.
The LS1 maxes around 350-360 whp, with bolt ons. Cammed they put down around 400 whp. And my friend with a 60-1 turbo on his SS, is putting down 451 whp. on 7 psi.

I would rather spend the extra money for a job well done, then a half priced hack job. And the IHI unit from the AMG car is a great unit.

I just ran into mercedes benz SLK32, we raced from about a 30 roll, and he could not leave me, and nor could I leave him. Dead even. Not bad for a neon with 900 bucks in mods.

My .02

And you beat a SRT-6 that wasn't broken in with your car with 125 shot. Definitely want to see some track times, when you go.

Old 08-12-2005, 04:50 PM

Lol, the SRT6 is as broken in as it will get, trust me. If it is a "hack job", I see I am in the wrong Forum. I'll just take my 685 whp "un streetable" LS1 Z, 12.7@109 "beater" crossfire and my plans for what is to come and keep to myself. Enjoy. When you say that "no one has done it"- they have, they just don't come here and talk about it. Now I know why. Lol, when people start preferring a roots over a centrifigul and talking about a wide band to monitor the AF like it is a huge ordeal, I know I am in the wrong place. I have 24-7 access to a 4 wheel dyno (family owned shop), full CNC setup, all the tooling, welders, benders, etc. you can imagine to fabricate anything you want and have been doing this for over 14 years now, so please don't talk like this is a waste. Tuning is easy, fabricating is fun and when it is all done, a bolt on kit with intercooler and mapping would have been a possibility. I know where I am wasting my time however.
Joe

PS- Yes, with thicker headgaskets and ~9:1 the 3.2 will handle 14-16. Know of a couple right now. Can't say it will give you long term reliability that a stock setup would, heck you're in the wrong game if that is a concern anyway, but I have seen over 400 whp and several 1/4 mile passes on a couple MB's with turbos and such. Like I said, been around the game a while...

Last edited by kwiktsi; 08-12-2005 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:54 PM

I just re read your post and mine and realized my reply is a bit harsh. It is just that "pissing in the wind" comes to mind right about now, so I will just keep to myself and probably just pop in to post new times and numbers and such here and there. I just wanted to see if anyone has any sources for the factory unit for reasonable prices as it would be worth experimenting with, that's all. Didn't need a pissing match. The Vortech will be 100% reliable, however my pushing the limit like I plan on will certainly have catastrophic results- if and when that happens, I will decide if I am going to build the 3.2 to prove a point or just do a swap in it.

Joe

Last edited by kwiktsi; 08-12-2005 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:09 PM

I see I am in the wrong Forum.
You haven't been on this forum very long yet. Every forum has a resident know-it-all grouch. You have just met ours. He is only 22, lives at home sponging of his mom and has never done anything. Don't let him drive you off. Feel free to ignore him. Most of us do.

While going to the V8 is pushing the envelope a bit for me, I was interested in hearing your thoughts on the subject. I would be extremely interested in how it turns out and the interim steps that you take to get there.

Where are you located?

Old 08-12-2005, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bullseye
I still with my previous statement. So you hook up your Vortech. Which now is unsafe, you would have to get at least a wideband or aem uego. If it was as easy as just buying a vortech and easily fabricating some brackets, there would be more supercharged base Crossfires. And on 14-16 psi the base crossfire 3.2 can not handle it. Internal swap is a must. And 10k would not put you into the 9's.

The absolutely best you can hope for, is 6-7 psi from the centrifugal, would be 100 whp. Putting you around 270 whp, not worth it to me. All that work for low 13's? Yes you could go with a ls1 swap, which would be cool, but achieving 700 hp is no longer a daily driver.
The LS1 maxes around 350-360 whp, with bolt ons. Cammed they put down around 400 whp. And my friend with a 60-1 turbo on his SS, is putting down 451 whp. on 7 psi.

I would rather spend the extra money for a job well done, then a half priced hack job. And the IHI unit from the AMG car is a great unit.

I just ran into mercedes benz SLK32, we raced from about a 30 roll, and he could not leave me, and nor could I leave him. Dead even. Not bad for a neon with 900 bucks in mods.

My .02

And you beat a SRT-6 that wasn't broken in with your car with 125 shot. Definitely want to see some track times, when you go.
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I just re-read this- who the heck tunes your LS1 cars? We have a few around here with head/cam/exhaust and gears running in the tens- that is a "bit" more than 400 whp lol.

Joe

Old 08-12-2005, 06:59 PM

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I just re-read this- who the heck tunes your LS1 cars? We have a few around here with head/cam/exhaust and gears running in the tens- that is a "bit" more than 400 whp lol.

Joe
I wasn't going to say anything, since you said you came a bit harsh. But you had to add something.

On a street tune with pump gas? My friend's 98' Formula Put down a tad over 400 whp can't remember exactly. And that was with a mild cam. By the term streetable, is relative. I don't think his form is daily drivable. It is way too loud, with his dumps. And this is coming from someone running a 3in Catless TBE. Some think my car is too loud to be daily driven. And I never brought up head swaps either. just talked cammed cars with stock heads. Looks like you need to re-read it "one" more time to fully understand it.

Yah we can all do your setup, since we all have complete access to a garage/shop with a 4 wheel dyno. :rolls eyes:

Let me know when you shatter a rod. And I would love to see a video of "these" supercharged non-srt crossfires. Or a video of your 12 second crossfire. Seems you definitely have the resources, now its time to use them.

As far as Uncle Al goes, he is still fuming about the last time I tore him apart. And yes I do live at home, I pay for my own college, my crossfire and my srt-4. Leaving me lil' cash to pay for a place of my own. My parents give me no money, just a place to rest my head.

Notice again, I never attacked anyone. It is the "mature" middle agers that again kick the bee's nest.

Old 08-12-2005, 07:21 PM

Hi Joe,

Top thread, I like the directness.

Brand names you guy talk about are not familiar to me but here in the UK it's the same alternatives, tuning by bolting on/having others bolt it on or doing it yourself from scratch. The limited range of tuning parts and good machine shops interested in working the smaller one offs at a reasonable cost means few real home tuners. Pity when you consider that although the majority of Formula 1 teams are UK based the majority of the tuning is big bore exhausts K&N filters and perhaps a chip.

I doubt there are more than 50 3.2 MB motors in the UK that have been really tuned past a new exhaust, and chip.

Nothing wrong with "tuning" by reading up on "what to fit" and paying for the work - people should just remember that someone other than the big guys also needs to develop and innovate and as they read about the "best and latest developments" bear in mind that some of the "advise" from the big players is more sales pitch than substance.

Look forward to hearing where you go with your plans, hope you stick with the forum.

Malcolm

Old 08-12-2005, 09:05 PM

When did *I* ever say anything about it being something for "everyone" to do as you put it? I was inquiring for my "personal" car- I could give a crap less what you do with yours- heck, you could paint it pink and throw a rotary in it for all I care. I was asking about something for *my* particular car and, yes- *I* do have the resources to do whatever I want, heck my cousin has a 790 whp 3000GT also- that isn't something "everyone" can do without their own resources either, but did I say "what is feasible for every yokel with an adjustable wrench to do to their car? No. As for videos, get real- you think any of these guys care about impressing some 22 year old on some message forum? You must be one of the ricers videotaping every street race they are involved in because they are mad cool like that. Actually- just got off the phone with one guy (never said crossfire either, just "mercedes 320 cars") and he said "tell him to bring the camera, his mouth and $1000 and run for the video" lol. Not everyone cares about the message board drama, they care about their car and what they do with it and could care less about the rest of you.

I also said, it is something that perhaps could be available for others later on once it is set up, so that takes care of the "resources" part you mentioned not everyone has.

You know, maybe think before you respond and realize who you are talking to and what is realistic vs. what the average Joe tuner who is in it solely for the money tells you. I am not some "magazine tuner" nor have I ever let any of them work on my cars, yet I have had some impressive setups- strange for a "hack", huh? Hmm, 487 WHP DAILY DRIVER Talon on PUMP with alcohol injection, 11.1@126 on PUMP gas 94 LT1 stroker Z that ran 10.3@134 on race fuel and 150 shot- PLENTY more left too- fully loaded, AC, cruise, etc., friends and family members making over 700 with some over 1000 and one over 1500 to the WHEELS (not on pump, obviously) in everything from single turbo 4's to twin turbo v8's. Not to mention, a 12.7 second crossfire that I haven't even had for two months yet- what have you accomplished with your xfire in the last two months? Probably some spiffy light up door sills or something, huh? (no offense to those who have them ) - so who are you to attack my performance accomplishments with various cars?

As for the comment about shattering a rod- hmm, ok- if and when it does, I will know the limits and I PROMISE you the next setup will be stronger and more powerful. I have always pushed things to the limits and if/when it blows, so friggin what- that is when you build a real setup for the car. Once again, I am not talking about a reliable every day car for everyone on this forum to duplicate and have hundreds of thousands of care free miles- I am talking about my own car and my goals for it.

Apparently Malc and Al have a clue, maybe you should listen to what they have to say. Doing it yourself is what hot rodding is all about, paying someone for over priced, under powered items to be installed for you and to do the R&D for you is the easy way out for people with more money than knowledge. While that is ok in most cases, don't attack me because my abilities surpass that.

Joe

Last edited by kwiktsi; 08-12-2005 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by malcb
Hi Joe,

Top thread, I like the directness.

Brand names you guy talk about are not familiar to me but here in the UK it's the same alternatives, tuning by bolting on/having others bolt it on or doing it yourself from scratch. The limited range of tuning parts and good machine shops interested in working the smaller one offs at a reasonable cost means few real home tuners. Pity when you consider that although the majority of Formula 1 teams are UK based the majority of the tuning is big bore exhausts K&N filters and perhaps a chip.

I doubt there are more than 50 3.2 MB motors in the UK that have been really tuned past a new exhaust, and chip.

Nothing wrong with "tuning" by reading up on "what to fit" and paying for the work - people should just remember that someone other than the big guys also needs to develop and innovate and as they read about the "best and latest developments" bear in mind that some of the "advise" from the big players is more sales pitch than substance.

Look forward to hearing where you go with your plans, hope you stick with the forum.

Malcolm
Thanks Malc, one thing I can't stand is "know it all's" who have never even busted a knuckle doing it themselves telling me what I can and can't do. When you meet or exceed my accomplishments, then you can talk. I am not typically arrogant, but man... Sometimes you just have to be.

As things progress, I will let you guys know what happens. My time on the spray is out now, I normally avoid it when asked, but it came out while arguing with this numbskull so there it is. I planned from the start to boost it this winter and was (still am actually) torn between turbo or supercharger. If I could get a factory setup for ease of installation and play with pulley sizes for fun, maybe I would do that prior to winter just to see how it runs, but I know I would want more than what it would be capable of- it would just be a fun project. A centrifugal blower or turbo would be the only way to get the power I want. I know I can go low 12's on the stock short block- I know people who do, since this is just a play today, that would suffice. I have my Twin Turbo Mustang project for when I want insane power, I just want "insanely fun" out of the crossfire.

Joe

Old 08-12-2005, 09:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you ran a 12.7 with the nos. damn. i wanna get nos, just don't have the *****. keep us informed on the supercharger thing. you'll get used to bullseye claiming to know everything about cars. and always "knowing" someone who has the exact setup you are talking about on any given car, or if not he raced it.

Old 08-12-2005, 09:25 PM

thanks x'ed. As for running the spray - realistically, if I was concerned about longevity and reliability, I would spray no more than a 75 shot and you will probably never have an issue. I am pushing it and want to up the jets more, but even I get afraid sometimes lol. It is one of those "I am really pushing my luck as it is- going further will be sure disaster and I want to try a blower on this motor before nuking it deals" heheh.

Unfortunately, every message board I go on has the same issues with some people, they tend to chase the knowledgeable ones away though. I've seen it happen before. That is why most "fast guys" (not xfire, just in general) just keep to themselves, not worth the pissing match. Everyone of us have been told "you can't do that" about things we have proven you can by someone who has never even tried, it gets old!! Hell, I was told a WRX on a stock ECU cannot have a boost controller, and even if it does- it cannot run in the 13's with just that and exhaust. Hmm, MBC, headers, full 3" TBE exhaust- 13.1@101 on pump gas- but it can't be done. And not that it is going to last forever like this, but the car has 11k miles on it and has had these mods since 300 miles- heck, it's first trip to the track was with 170 miles on it and it went 14.3@92 bone stock!!!

Later.

Joe

Last edited by kwiktsi; 08-12-2005 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:27 PM

Joe,

Don't let anybody run you away from the forum. This forum needs as many members as it can get. I'm impressed with what you have mentioned in little detail. I can't wait to see your numbers and dynos. I'm an enthusiast just like most of the members. Any info you can provide us with would be much appreciated.