Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Car Alarm Going Off!!!

Old 08-27-2005, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Car Alarm Going Off!!!

Last night at about 1 am my alarm starting going off for no reason. After running outside with angry looks from neighbors I shut it off. Then soon after, I was awakened from bed to hear it again, and again. About 6 or 7 times it just went off for no reason. Once with me just looking at it from inside the house, no one was tampering with it. And it was parked on a level ground... the same place it is every night.

I discovered disconnecting the battery will not shut the alarm off, must have a separate source. It was very humid here last night if that has anything to do with it, (and it was very humid a couple weeks ago when the same thing happened).

I finally just left the doors unlocked all night to prevent the alarm from activating again.

Anyone else have this problem? Its driving me and my neighbors nuts!!!

Old 08-27-2005, 11:37 PM
Default Re: Car Alarm Going Off!!!

Hi Only had it happen one time and the only way it would shut off was to start the car.

Old 08-28-2005, 10:50 AM

I would get it to shut off, but it would just start up again 15 minutes later or so.

I even made a few trips around the block at about 2 am ... but then soon after I got home and parked it... alarm went off again!

Old 08-28-2005, 06:48 PM
Forum Regular

Until you get an appointment for service check, pull the fuse. Good luck and silent nights ...

Old 10-11-2005, 03:08 PM

I had a Toyota Camry that did that once. It was a wiring problem.

Old 10-11-2005, 06:13 PM

Kev, What is the status on your alarm? My new crossfire is supposed to be here tomorrow. I will tell you that after 12 weeks in the shop they still have no idea why my alarm keeps going off. But i have convince Chrysler to do a buy back that's why i am getting a new one.

65fish

Old 11-25-2017, 04:03 PM
Forum Regular
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

chxf - I'm having the same problem as others above. As you suggested, until I can get in to the dealer, I pulled the fuse. I now have to manually lock the car with the key. No big deal! I would prefer to use my key fob remote but the absence of the fuse, I guess, prevents that. I'm a zero when it comes to electrics and computers. Seems like there should be a way to unhook (electrically) the alarm. Anybody have any ideas? I can't even FIND the alarm so, I need help there too.

Thanks, Jim

Old 11-25-2017, 04:39 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Holian
chxf - I'm having the same problem as others above. As you suggested, until I can get in to the dealer, I pulled the fuse. I now have to manually lock the car with the key. No big deal! I would prefer to use my key fob remote but the absence of the fuse, I guess, prevents that. I'm a zero when it comes to electrics and computers. Seems like there should be a way to unhook (electrically) the alarm. Anybody have any ideas? I can't even FIND the alarm so, I need help there too.

Thanks, Jim
The siren is under the cowl in front of the windshield, take off the cowl and you will see it to unplug?If you can take off the cowl you might as well remove the alarm and replace it with a new alarm while you are at it. It is plug and play.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:38 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks for the information. I will look at the cowling in the morning and see what I can do.

Thanks again,

Old 11-28-2017, 03:34 PM
Forum Regular
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In all probabilities the old siren will be toast, which is what is causing it to go off. You can replace it with a Benz siren that beeps when you lock/unlock the car, for about $90. I can get the part number if you need it.
I am assuming this because the car still locks/unlocks with the fob.
If you haven't already, do yourself a favor and remove the plug from the passenger side trunk recess (from below)
Another cause of the alarm going off at random, is the central locking pump being submerged in water, due to a leak into the trunk.
Mine got full of water when I was out of town, sounded the alarm, and flashed the lights for so long that that the battery eventually went flat, locking me out.
Anyway it's piece of mind to check the trunk well for water, and if none present, a change of the siren should be all you need.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:05 PM
Forum Regular

magredvet - Thank you for your input. I would appreciate the Mercedes part number for the alarm, if it's convenient for you to find. Did you have to change any of the wiring? If it's a straight swap, with the existing wiring, it sounds perfect for me. I've heard rumors, and that's what they were, that you need a different wiring harness to install the Mercedes alarm.

I looked under the hood the other day and couldn't even see the alarm. On the firewall there is a opening with something red behind the opening, and as best as I can tell, it has the VIN on it.

I've built several street rods in my life, and a couple of race cars as well. The electronics on those vehicles were very simple. This is a new adventure for me. I'm 79 and I refuse to give up! Especially since I keep telling myself that I'm 39 and I can do anything. Well, almost anything.

Thanks again,

Jim

Old 11-28-2017, 04:09 PM

Thanks for the information. I will look at the cowling in the morning and see what I can do.

Thanks again,
Here is a PDF giving the part numbers of the beeping siren. CLICK
Here is a PDF with a view of the siren under the cowl. CLICK

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-28-2017 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:43 PM
Forum Regular

onehundred80 - I'm unable to get any of your photo's. You can email me at jpmlholian@aol.com if that is convenient for you. I just can't seem to see the alarm.

Jim

Old 11-28-2017, 05:02 PM

onehundred80 - I'm unable to get any of your photo's. You can email me at jpmlholian@aol.com if that is convenient for you. I just can't seem to see the alarm.

Jim
Click where it says click and a PDF file will open.
The photos are in the PDFs.