Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Help finding an '04 *programmed* TCM

Old 12-26-2022, 03:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help finding an '04 *programmed* TCM

Hi, nickwe21
"All that being said, that problem would not lead to OP's problem with the but he might still have that leak if the connector has never been replaced so I would tackle that as well."
I hear you! I'm going to chase that down asap, because when (not if) it leaks, it sounds like I'll have a mess to deal with, because I'm well past your 25K miles. Thanks!

Old 12-26-2022, 03:20 AM

Hi, Wadsworth!
I did ask, and the car started for them. Then they said the problem was the TCM. Which they couldn't order and couldn't program even if they could get one. But from everything I've read here, they seem to be available after all. And that shouldn't be my problem anyway. I think that's a dead end for now, although it looks like a "soon" problem.
I appreciate the link, in any case. I'm adding it to my list!
Thanks

Old 12-26-2022, 01:53 PM
Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Luthier
Hi, nickwe21
"All that being said, that problem would not lead to OP's problem with the but he might still have that leak if the connector has never been replaced so I would tackle that as well."
I hear you! I'm going to chase that down asap, because when (not if) it leaks, it sounds like I'll have a mess to deal with, because I'm well past your 25K miles. Thanks!
Smart to tackle that. I don't even think it's so much the mileage as just the age of the car. And we don't know if anyone has ever replaced that connector on your car so it sure can't hurt.
What I would prioritize however is going after the Relay Control Module (RCM). If you can use a soldering iron, touch up those three joins on that board yourself (there instructions with picture in the How-To section of the forum). Or if you don't wanna go that route just order a new RCM and plug that in. Literally a 5 minute job. You just pop the hood, open the black plastic box in the back of the engine bay (passenger side). There are I believe 5 connectors plugged in. Unplug them, take out the RCM (just sits in there) and plug the connectors into the new RCM and stuff that back inside of the box. Done.
For a while you could find cheap Crossfire for sale with the owner stating they tried everything but the car will not start...was just the RCM's fault.
Easy fix and for sure to go on pretty much all Crossfire if not replaced/fixed. That will get you stranded if it goes and it can be intermittent. Sometimes car starts again to the later fail again.

Here is what you are looking for. Might be able to find cheaper elsewhere but this is the original OEM:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mercedes-ecu-relay-1705450305

Here is one, too a bit cheaper but might be aftermarket but reviews are great:
https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Motor-Products-RY-1562-Relay/dp/B005UW7DFI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=1SJ8JC8M2M6IW&keywords=chrysle r+crossfire+relay+control+module&qid=1672080830&sp refix=chrysler+crossfire+relay+control+module%2Cap s%2C126&sr=8-1&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

Good luck, you got this!
​​​

Last edited by nickwe21; 12-26-2022 at 01:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Luthier (12-27-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 06:28 PM

Hi, nickwe21!

I can man a soldering gun! But just in case, I've saved both your links for RCMs if it starts getting intermittent.
I don't have to drive every day anymore, but I took the Crossfire out for a gentle drive, just to make sure it was starting... I think the little bugger likes the frigid temps! :-)

But the tires break loose on slush and ice. They're new Continentals, same as were on it when I got it, and I think they're summer only tires? So I hope this isn't an "all winter long" escapade, but parts for my DD are on back order, too! The supply chain, as they say, is "disrupted"!

Thanks for all your time and attention... it's really appreciated!

The following users liked this post:
nickwe21 (12-27-2022)
Old 12-31-2022, 04:21 PM

Hi, nickwe21!

I can man a soldering gun! But just in case, I've saved both your links for RCMs if it starts getting intermittent.
I don't have to drive every day anymore, but I took the Crossfire out for a gentle drive, just to make sure it was starting... I think the little bugger likes the frigid temps! :-)

But the tires break loose on slush and ice. They're new Continentals, same as were on it when I got it, and I think they're summer only tires? So I hope this isn't an "all winter long" escapade, but parts for my DD are on back order, too! The supply chain, as they say, is "disrupted"!

Thanks for all your time and attention... it's really appreciated!
I live in Florida so luckily I get to drive the Crossie all year round. If you have traction issue with the tires in the snow, maybe set the TCU to “W” (the button next to the shifter). It makes the car start in second gear and it forces the car to upshift sooner so as to prevent wheel spin. That and good tires are probably the way to go Enjoy your car. Still love mine and drive it as much as I can and whenever I can. After all these years it still puts a smile on my face! Happy New Year!

Old 12-31-2022, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by nickwe21
I live in Florida so luckily I get to drive the Crossie all year round. If you have traction issue with the tires in the snow, maybe set the TCU to “W” (the button next to the shifter). It makes the car start in second gear and it forces the car to upshift sooner so as to prevent wheel spin. That and good tires are probably the way to go Enjoy your car. Still love mine and drive it as much as I can and whenever I can. After all these years it still puts a smile on my face! Happy New Year!
Hey, nickwe21!
If I drove it all the time, I might get spoiled. It does put a smile on your face! ;-) I have another car that ignores snow & ice, but that's kind of boring. And it's laid up at the moment. I actually knew about that switch, but I didn't occur to me... and all the snow melted before it was a real issue. But I'll remember your suggestion if and when we get more!
I hope you have a great New Year, too!

Old 12-31-2022, 08:53 PM

Hey, nickwe21!
If I drove it all the time, I might get spoiled. It does put a smile on your face! ;-) I have another car that ignores snow & ice, but that's kind of boring. And it's laid up at the moment. I actually knew about that switch, but I didn't occur to me... and all the snow melted before it was a real issue. But I'll remember your suggestion if and when we get more!
I hope you have a great New Year, too!
Man it makes me happy to see someone enjoy the car like you seem you do. I have been a fan for so long and it still puts a smile on my face everytime I get in it, which is why I sold my NA Coupe and bought the SRT6 with low miles recently. Welcome to this community and keep enjoying your ride. You have a very special car that that still turns heads to this day. I get stopped all the time at the gas station by people who love the car and wonder what it is! This is an awesome community, too that loves their cars and will help you with anything that might come up. There is great Facebook groups which might be in your area that do meets, rides and just in general will be helpful and supportive if you ever have any issues so just look for them, too if you have social media

Old 12-31-2022, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by nickwe21
Man it makes me happy to see someone enjoy the car like you seem you do. I have been a fan for so long and it still puts a smile on my face everytime I get in it, which is why I sold my NA Coupe and bought the SRT6 with low miles recently. Welcome to this community and keep enjoying your ride. You have a very special car that that still turns heads to this day. I get stopped all the time at the gas station by people who love the car and wonder what it is! This is an awesome community, too that loves their cars and will help you with anything that might come up. There is great Facebook groups which might be in your area that do meets, rides and just in general will be helpful and supportive if you ever have any issues so just look for them, too if you have social media
Does it show that much!? :-D Yeah, I do enjoy the Crossfire! People around here rarely ever see one, so stopping for gas is just an excuse to meet kindred souls. That never stops being fun! In the summer, we'll hit some of the shows around the area, and I've never seen another one. Just a sea of Corvettes, Mustangs and Camaros, so it really stands out. The dealers really missed an opportunity here to grow a customer base, because interest in them is still off-the-charts. Every time one comes up for sale online, it gets snatched up. And I can only imagine how much more fun an SRT6 might be! You were lucky to find one, because they're even rarer. It's great to have this forum, and meet people that give the car the love it deserves.

Old 01-01-2023, 09:45 AM
Received 188 Likes on 156 Posts

Luthier before you get around to replacing that electrical connector you should read this thread FIRST. It will help you get it right the first time. Start reading at my post #12 and then move down to post # 15. click this link for electrical connector "o ring" LINK
If you send me a PM (private message) with your address I will send you a couple nitrile O-rings which I have purchased and you can try them on your connector. One or the other should work and your leaking connector will be fixed for free if you do the work yourself.

Last edited by zip439; 01-01-2023 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-06-2023, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by zip439
Luthier before you get around to replacing that electrical connector you should read this thread FIRST. It will help you get it right the first time. Start reading at my post #12 and then move down to post # 15. click this link for electrical connector "o ring" LINK
If you send me a PM (private message) with your address I will send you a couple nitrile O-rings which I have purchased and you can try them on your connector. One or the other should work and your leaking connector will be fixed for free if you do the work yourself.
Hey, Zip!
I must seem ungrateful for not replying sooner, but I didn't realize there was another message on this thread. Sorry! Now all I need to do is figure out HOW to send a PM... I don't see a button for that on my screen. :-(

Old 06-06-2023, 08:14 AM
Received 188 Likes on 156 Posts

Click on any members forum name in his post (upper left of a post) and a drop down menu will appear with a link for a private message.
Did you read through the link in my post #29 ???